Some Relationships Can Make You Sick

LuCkY   

Some Relationships Can Make You Sick

Mixed Feelings in Relationships Raise Blood Pressure

By Cherie Berkley, MS

Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD

on Tuesday, July 29, 2003

WebMD Medical News

July 29, 2003 -- There may be some truth to the phrase "love can make you sick." A new study shows having relationships with people whom you have mixed feelings for can drive up your blood pressure

"The conventional wisdom is that stress is bad for our health, and that personal relationships are good because social support helps us deal with our stress," says Julianne Holt-Lundstad, assistant professor of psychology at Brigham Young University, in a news release. "But some relationships can cause interpersonal stress, so we can't just lump all relationships together."

Her study appears in the July issue of Health Psychology, a journal of the American Psychological Association.

Researchers had 102 healthy people wear concealed blood pressure monitors for three days. The volunteers pressed a button about five minutes into every social interaction to record their blood pressure. In addition, they kept diaries of whom they interacted with each day and answered questions about their relationships.

The findings showed that having mixed feelings raised blood pressure more than having outright feelings of hostility.

Mixed Feelings Cause Higher Blood Pressure Than Hostility

"When you're interacting with those you feel aversive or negative toward, these people are predictable and you will either avoid them or you can discount them because you know what to expect from them," Holt-Lunstad explains. "But for a person you feel both positive and negative toward, there could be hope and an expectation for something positive, and then when you don't get the support you wanted, this can be very distressing."

There was another twist to the report. It shows that there are benefits to having close family relationships, even if a family member upsets you sometimes. Researchers say even when people have negative feelings toward family their blood pressures don't rise as much as when they have negative interactions with other people. This plays into the theory that people with strong family relationships live longer and have a better quality of life.

Researchers even compared relationships on the job. They found work relationships were viewed more negatively than interaction with non-work relationships.

Researchers say they hope their findings will help people make wiser choices in their relationships, making it possible for them to cut down on stress levels as a result.

LuCkY   

Mindstate sour and bLood boiLing is not good.

I prefer a reLationship that is straight forward none of that beating around the bush deaL.

Originally posted by - diamond princess -:

Lol. Interesting topic Lucky. I've been in a very up and down hill relationships with people. It never struck me as "hazerdous" for my health. Hmmmm....

Baby you need to holla at me as it clear that you need a change of inviroment na'mean?lol

do you like spaghetti or rice?lol

A7LA-SHU   

hmmm it is really interestin. i guess studies find something new everyday.. thanks lucky.. i'll remember this incase there is any mixed feelins.. :D

LuCkY   

Diamond Princess i encounter many peopLe that are in the same situations-its not good at aLL. I try to avoid it at aLL costs.Now you know so good Luck. ;)

Mindstate what environment?You are in a simiLar situation...remember? :confused: I didnt know you can cook. icon_razz.gif

Mag-girL teLL me about it.Youre weLcome.

Saalixa   

OK

LOVE IS IN THE AAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRR.

aight, u guys seem to forget that there isnt a real love these days.

GUys these days are neva true and so are girls.

ppl just pretend to be in love. ppl that are in true love are very rare, and so lucky i do agree wit u. Love does make u sick, but iam sure when u find the right person, it will ease the pain.

salamz......... :Dicon_razz.gif

It is so true that some relationships can make you sick!. You worry what he/she is up to, who he/she is with, why he/she isnt returning your calls, and why he/she is not calling you as often as they used to!. The list is endless but I am sure you understand me by these few points above!. :D

A relationship can make you sick if you dont trust your partner!. You think or know that he/she might be a player and you just wish that yuou could see his/her true colours!. You can achieve this by reading their brains psychologically!. Scour the internet and I am sure you will find alot of articles regarding people being sick coz of partners being unfaithful!. :mad:

These above points are from personal experience!. Dont judge a book by its cover but by its content! :cool: . Set your standards higher to find the perfect mate and I am sure you will him/her with allahs help!. smile.gif

Peace. :D

P.S Naag Laatabtey Maarabo!

Originally posted by Continental Batchelor:

P.S Naag Laatabtey Maarabo!

eewwwwwww ayeeyo macaan ..naag aan lataabtan hadaadan rabatid ... adiga hooyada uurkeeda saa oga soo baxday maa tahay

i wonder why u guys like the virgin girls 'n most of u ya ain't virgin sup wit dat?

eewwwwwww ayeeyo macaan ..naag aan lataabtan hadaadan rabatid ... adiga hooyada uurkeeda saa oga soo baxday maa tahay

LOOOL....How do you know I aint a virgin?. Dont judge a book by its cover!. Why complain....Are you a virgin? :D

I only believe in halal intimacy through marriage sis!. Anything before that is not in my dictionary so I dont know why you got offended unless you are suggesting something personal that you would like to share with me. There is always my PM!!! ;):Dicon_razz.gif

Naagta Laguursiniin ow Lataabtey waa Player weyaan(personal experience), incaar haa kudaac thow. Niin halaal uhuraaba gabaad halaal somahaan?! smile.gif

P.S My swahili is better than somali so excuse my fish and chips mali spelling! :D