Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Even you, Sharif!

Before I begun my remarks on the sorry state Somalia and its people find themselves in, let me give some historicity for the title of this post. Perhaps most of you know the literary background of the slightly corrupted title and how Shakespeare immortalized Caesar’s last words, ‘Et Tu Brute’, describing the shock Ceasar felt when Brutus, the great symbol of republican virtue and freedom, joined the offense against Ceasar and stabbed him with the dagger---stabbing a man whose very political generosity sustained his ascendance to power, that is. Similarly, it’s now safe to say that Sharif has foolishly decided to strike Somalia in the groin by ditching the political arrangement with which he ascended to power. I am sure that the current political tussle will pass, and Somalia and its people will at the end conclude their long suffering and struggle with a triumphant note, but Sharif has committed a vital subversion to destroy, willingly or unwittingly, the very political constructs current TFG rests upon.

It’s one thing to organize the parliaments in an orderly fashion to change the prime ministerial post, and with it the government itself, but to face glaring cameras with unsustainable presidential decree with the sole intention of dissolving the government, and by-passing transitional procedures in place for such purpose is the epitome of artlessness--- a decree, I must add, that will ultimately corner him in a politically very tight position. It does not really matter whether current prime minister survives, but what matters is whether this tfg can transition the south (forget the country) from the chaos it is in. And key to that transition is whether tfg can preserve current political arrangement however wobbly is constructed. Sharif it appears has put too much trust in certain counsels coming from certain political circles without doing basic political calculus. This is no time for drastic change especially when the very legitimacy of this entity is in question given its failure to effectively defend itself and the innocent masses that are subjected to endless of violence, and particularly its failure for a concise, comprehensive reconciliation plan, which it was presumed it would have. And what one looses sleep on is why would Sharif pick this fight this time, the most inopportune any political gambler could find to initiate such a grand political conflict where not only the parliament is legally on a shaky ground, but also the two executive offices are in clear conflict, and the masses are left with an apparent gridlock.

Waqti ma hayyee, caku waxaan calaf lahayn…

The President is just taking another step closer to autocracy.

And it's about damn time.

Somalia doesn't need a Prime Minister. It doesn't need a Parliament with 9 million MPs. It doesn't need a big, lumbering beast of bureaucracy.

What Somalia needs is someone who is strong and will whoop the asses of anyone who commits treason.

You laugh at him now, but soon you'll be scared to even say his name.

Ibtisam   

^^Yes you sherban, in response to this:

What Somalia needs is someone who is strong and will whoop the asses of anyone who commits treason.

You laugh at him now, but soon you'll be scared to even say his name.

It's not that far fetched now, is it? Loyalties seem to change like the colours of a chameleon, something that one can even witness on this forum, so how can this fire be extinguished in a civilized manner?

I'm a non-violent person who would like to see reconciliation between all Somalis. But I think the only way is to force this reconciliation, through whatever means necessary.

Otherwise, South Somalia is just going to split into little city-states, followed by the Northern enclaves shortly after.

NGONGE   

Heh. A&T gets it right again.

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tusbax:

I know. But I am not trying to appease the Pirates, who will all support Omer in any case. Even, Xinn will betray the Shariif now.

Laakin, the way Sh. Hotel handled this is disgraceful. One sheikh Adan Madoobe fails to get the respect of the parliament. Omer's cabinet had no problem with one other and also with him. Sh. hotel comes to a press conference and says 'dawladii waan kala diray' as if the cabinet and the PM are ardo-looxleey la fasaxay. And no reason is given why? All to appease a former warlord, who reality has caught up with and who is told he can no longer pretend to be a respected leader of the Parliament.

And in any case, when and if the Pirates stop piracy and human trafficking, they are the closest I have in Somalia, markaa waan u sii waji dhigan!
:D:D
Note that I am not optimistic the family mafioso led by Faroole and Sons will give up the underground businesses any time soon!

:D:D

Amistad   

Originally posted by Sherban Shabeel:

It's not that far fetched now, is it? Loyalties seem to change like the colours of a chameleon, something that one can even witness on this forum, so how can this fire be extinguished in a civilized manner?

I'm a non-violent person who would like to see reconciliation between all Somalis. But I think the only way is to force this reconciliation, through whatever means necessary.

Otherwise, South Somalia is just going to split into little city-states, followed by the Northern enclaves shortly after.

We could come up with some different state names right now. How about Kenmolia, Ethimolia, Shababmolia, Ogmolia etc etc etc....

^^^Who ever thought Sharif was the answer, or Djibouti process with 500Mp's was on the right track, was having a right old laugh.

Somalia though shall rise, regardless of the designs of the west or the confusion of those who want to help.

The Somali race is not dead..

SOMALIA: President Sharif reverses decision to sack PM Sharmarke

May 20, 2010

SOMALIA: President Sharif reverses decision to sack PM Sharmarke

May 20, 2010 On Thursday, the president of Transitional Federal government of Somalia Sheikh Sharif Ahmed today announced that the cabinet of Prime Minister Omar Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke will stay in place.

The president changed his previews decision on 17th May 2010, when he publicly declared that he dissolved the whole cabinet and the Prime Minister Omar Sharmarke.

Today, in an official letter by the President Shariff, said that after consulting with law experts on the issue of sacking the Prime Minister and the cabinet, he decided that the Prime minister and his cabinet will stay in place and function normally.

On Tuesday, The Somali prime minister, Omar Abidrashid Ali Sharmarke held a press conference in Mogadishu and challenged president Sharif’s decision to dissolve the government.

Still there were no answers to why the president took a such risk decision that undermines the federal charter. The Somali Federal charter states that : “The Transitional Charter states that a government will be dissolved if it loses the parliament’s vote of confidence.”

Many Somalis are debating whether the President should be impeached for violating the federal charter. Others praise the president for releasing his mistake and correcting it accordingly.

President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed is expected today to travel to Istanbul, where he will attend the international conference on Somalia.

Polanyi   

Lol@ law experts. Shariff was probably told by the international community to reverse his decision. But this is still a sign of weakness.

We did early on correctly identified Sharif’s qualities as a leader. His reversal on his politically driven decision attests to that.

Good move on presidents part.