Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

Puntland awarded Good Governance Certificate by G3?

Xiinow – laguu waran. Both are men of high calibre competent enough in the discipline of stick and carrot to fall face down in one trap or the other. And whilst Said Farah is also a veteran journalist with remarkably desirable track record in the operations of state institutions and governance, Prof A/Wali is a sitting economist with vast perspicacity in poor nation’s infrastructure, economic development, thusly I find myself torn in between.

On one hand, my mind irks me towards the good professor with his remarkable foresight in blowing the whistle on the self-styled, naked king of Puntland whose private wares are being auctioned in far away stock markets in his absence more so than not, whilst on the other hand, my instinct desires to waddle the tongue in the dolly, narrative sound bites of the journalist for whom I have the greatest respect. Too close to the odious, I suspect the journalist is to the bonfire to take stock with the scrapes whilst the good professor is distant enough only too well to reel in flaccid filings, hence receiving an aroma of the king’s custom-designed fragrance ala Armani. Here, you shall find me brewing lukewarm ‘bun’ with the good professor burning midnight sessions by the banks of the Potomac. However, I trust one shall find the answer somewhere in between --- that is being determined by discerning factors of one’s propensity in nation state tenets.

Which one, so I hear you ask? I know not, I rejoin lest perceived foolhardy in close quarters, should you read my drift.

What say you?

Tata…

^^Neither do I know for sure adeer, if not any other than the sheer fact that I have never been to the place itself! But if the reports I get are anything to go by, Puntland is deeply plagued by a fleecing spree! The contest has been on for some time now, not to develop Puntland mind you, but to rip off its natural resources for pure personal gains as the shady arrangements/deals with foreign companies manifestly attest to! Putting Puntland’s current admin in the context of recent political/economic development, or lack therof, in that region, one wonders how is it that one awards what’s evidently an ineffective administration a certificate of good governance?

I’ve recently met a doctor who came back from Puntland, and though he showered praise with that regions’ entrepreneurial trends and positively appraised the noticeable strides its business people made, when it come to the admin itself he was, to put it mildly, not quite enthusiastic about it. I have also read a UN report (I have posted snippets of it here on SOL) and the statistics that were cited there on both SL and PL were quite dire. Put all these things (cilmi-dhegood + status report from UN) together, and I can’t really see how Cadde’s admin (of all admins) could win a certificate of good governance! The man, though he comes across as a good man as a person, sucks as a politician. Incompetent. Unprincipled. Utterly misinformed. And at times, simply foolish! His admin: bunch of greedy men who sat their eyes on Puntland’s natural resources!

^^Sweeping generalization as the above lines may sound, that is how I currently feel about PL current admin!

So which one is it? If I were a betting man, I would bet on the latter! So there you have it, yaa SW; Xiin at the end votes with the good Professor!

Baashi   

SW and Xiin, truth to be told the old Col. Yusuf has been missed in that corner. Whatever you make of him the Col. was not a crook. Fleecing of national resources has become a rat race for the top brass in that recovery zone.

My verdict is prof is right on.

Xiinow - Nor have I, my dear chap. I know of the place by way of reading of it albeit have a soft spot for it equally as all Somali populated terrains in the god-forsaken Horn.

Easier I reckon it is to align oneself with the good professor for constructive criticism, observations of shadowy business dealings and colossal state system desertion, and reflections of such goings are forever taken with vigour. Drooling for more, I find myself reciting an old favourite ‘bayd’ –-- Duulkii madaxdu ka xumaato waa marin habaabaane, kuwa maqaddimada looga dhigay waa manfacadoone, war maxaa intaa keliya uu u yahay mar ku faanaoye (along those line).

However, aspired I remain by the man who desires to skilfully inject institutional conversion and personnel conscription whilst seeking permissive state machinery and conditions ahead of insulating shock elements into the heartbeat of existing mechanism with gentle wriggling from within whilst distancing oneself from the darting elements of daily occurrences. Now, there is a man, if there ever was one. Will he, or will he not come off in doing so shall forever remain the prime query.

Mind you both are of scarce commodity in the beloved motherland --- aplenty are controversial do-gooders of no substance forever barking from the tree tops walloping the green branches when not soiling the scenery.

You see my predicament here old boy?

Baashi - do not let our comrades hear you say that of the hurly, burly bursting king-- unless of course you are itching for a public flogging?

Got to dash…

ElPunto   

Whatever the case - the key test is whether there will be a transition of power through choice and not just a desperate clinging to power. And why aren't there popular elections in the place - Congo, war-torn, unstable Congo has managed to hold them.