Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Where are the Somali Scholars of Islam?

Modesty   

As'Salaamu Alaykum,

Going to many Islamic conventions, I hardly find any somali scholars lecturing. It's always the usual arab-pakistani imaams. Even visiting many Islamic websites, I only find articles and books written by arab-pakistani scholars, but never any written by Somalis..are regular African muslims for that matter (with the exception of Egyptians). Do you like nasheeds? I do too, but are there any somali nasheeds? Nope! Also, the lack of knowledge in the deen is very apparent in our culture, with the exception of the burqa...it seems like hijab is the only part we got right, alhamdulilah. Maybe being a people without a functioning government for the past 15 years is what made us lag behind...Allahu Musta3an. I just feel so sad about the whole situation.

Modesty   

Thanks As-Salifiya for that link. I really liked reading that. The moral of the story is very true too, older people who are more religious and knowledgeable in Islam seem to have strong memories...like my grandmother.

Rahima   

Going to many Islamic conventions, I hardly find any somali scholars lecturing. It's always the usual arab-pakistani imaams.

Could it be sister that you are around the Arabs and Pakis more than Somalis?

I think it all depends on who you spend your time with and which conventions you attend. I’m pretty sure that there are many conventions hosted by Somalis in North America, just a matter of searching for them if you’re interested.

Do you like nasheeds? I do too, but are there any somali nasheeds?

Nasheeds aren’t big in our culture, try gabayo and you’ll be much fulfilled ;) .

Also, the lack of knowledge in the deen is very apparent in our culture, with the exception of the burqa...it seems like hijab is the only part we got right, alhamdulilah. Maybe being a people without a functioning government for the past 15 years is what made us lag behind...Allahu Musta3an. I just feel so sad about the whole situation.

I find the opposite to be the case. Very proud of Somalis when it comes to the understanding of the religion, I think they fare much better than their other Muslim brethren. I’m always around Muslims, some Arab, some Turkish, some indo-paki and some Somalis. Time and time again Somalis seem to have a much better understanding of Islam, even with the basics such as tawheed.

Pi   

The people you see at conventions and stuff are not really scholars per se, just preachers. So, I guess what you're saying is that there is a dearth of somali preachers. I guess it depends on where you live.

Haneefah   

Modesty sis, I know what you mean. What I've personally noticed is that the religious Somali community is somewhat segregated from other Muslim communities. Therefore, although they do organize Islamic conventions and other social events, it's usually an all-Somali gathering and the lectures are conducted in Somali.

Also, there are many prominent Somali scholars out there Masha'Allah, however, much of their work will most likely be available in audio/video format rather than articles/books (at least in English). I think it'd be neat if the Shayuukhs introduced written work in English or conducted some of their lectures in Eng. during conventions, considering the fact that many younger generation Somalis in diaspora have language barriers.

So sad that the sister didn't notice the presence of the great Shiiq Alle-ubaahne and Sh. Nur Al-e-nuuri, who regularly contribute to the discussions in this site and help nomads grasp Islam more precisely than what some foreign scholars preach about. We are going to release some Islamic books as the online scholars on behalf of the Somali religious leaders. The books will range from compilation of fatwas and attiquetes of fiqi and sunnah researches, as well as the importance of reviving Islam in global scope for targeting the Ummah at large.

For further details on this, you may reach our secretary sister Rahima, who handles such questions from confussed people on our mission. icon_razz.gif

Castro   

Originally posted by Alle-ubaahne:

So sad that the sister didn't notice the presence of the great Shiiq Alle-ubaahne

This coming from the same dude who called Arabic, the language of the holy Quran, 'af qalaad'. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by Alle-ubaahne:

So sad that the sister didn't notice the presence of the great Shiiq Alle-ubaahne

This coming from the same dude who called Arabic, the language of the holy Quran, 'af qalaad'. :rolleyes:
Are you saying you can't know the religion of Islam without knowing the Arabic language? Saaxiib, the so-called af-qalaad you were using at the time is very much in line with what the Egyptians speak, which is none standard arabic, more of a strange dialect, and to expect from Shiiq Alle-ubaahne to understand such things is not only an insult, but a danbi foolxun.

Now, what is so amazing is that you happen to be the single most illiterate person in Islamic studies in SOL, and yet you know some arabic words that depict you more jaahil! Cajiib, saaxiib! I am a well-known shiiq not in this electronic platform but in real life places where people listen from me in my waanooyin and advocacy for a sound society. Yes saaxiib, I encourage you to do more in Islam, and I know that you always dream in becoming one day as the Great Sh. Alle-ubaahne. That is still doable, go ahead!

Castro   

Originally posted by Alle-ubaahne:

Now, what is so amazing is that you happen to be the single most illiterate person in Islamic studies in SOL, and yet you know some arabic words that depict you more jaahil! Cajiib, saaxiib!

All I will need to find is one person who is more illiterate than me and your claim is proven false. Shouldn't be difficult with you around.

Calling yourself 'shiiq' does not make you one. What it does show is how dangerous little knowledge can become in the hands of your likes. You may fool others by talking the talk but I see right through you, dude. In my view, you represent all that is wrong with Muslims. Carry on with your mischief.

Cara.   

^

All I will need to find is one person who is more illiterate than me and your claim is proven false.

*Raises hand in resignation*