Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somalia to create Iraq-style Green Zone

NAIROBI, Aug 14 (Reuters) - The Somali government is trying to create a Baghdad-style safe "Green Zone" in Mogadishu to protect senior officials and foreign visitors from insurgent attacks, Prime Minister Ali Mohamed Gedi said on Tuesday.

In an interview with Reuters, the Somali premier also accused U.S.-based Human Rights Watch of "abusing" his government and siding with radical Islamists in a report alleging war crimes against Mogadishu's population.

Insurgents have been fighting Gedi's government, and its Ethiopian military allies, since Islamists were toppled from Mogadishu at the end of 2006 after a brief, six-month rule.

To counter the threat of attacks, a security zone was being set up in the bullet-scarred coastal capital, Gedi said.

"At the moment, the government security agencies are trying to create a Green Zone where international community workers, and those vulnerable, can stay for their security purposes," he said, without giving more details.

"I hope that we will achieve positive results very soon."

Gedi said government forces were winning the battle against insurgents and were now involved in "cleaning up" some 200 to 300 hardcore fighters left in Mogadishu and its surroundings.

In the worst fighting earlier this year, hundreds died and tens of thousands fled. Citing the assassination of two prominent journalists and several officials at the weekend, Gedi said he was not under-estimating the remaining risk.

"Some terrorist activities are still taking place. Suicide bombings, landmines, shooting of civilians is still going on," he said, looking stern during an interview in the garden of a house he owns in Nairobi.

Two men arrested for the killing of the journalists were "obviously" from the insurgent side, Gedi said, declining to give more details while investigations were under way.

An under-staffed African Union (AU) mission in Mogadishu -- which has just 1,600 Ugandan soldiers instead of its intended 8,000 men -- needed to be urgently bolstered, the premier said.

PEACEMAKING BEFORE PEACEKEEPING

While the world was rushing to put together a 26,000-strong peacekeeping force for Darfur, in Sudan, "I feel reluctance" from the U.N. Security Council on Somalia, Gedi said.

His government, set up in 2005 in the 14th attempt to restore central rule to the Horn of Africa nation since the 1991 ouster of a military dictator, wants the AU mission to be expanded quickly then transformed into a U.N. operation.

But the Security Council's peacekeeping department had still not sent an assessment mission to Somalia, he said.

"It is appropriate to ask the Security Council member states or the United Nations why they are giving so much emphasis to Darfur and not to Somalia," he said. "In New York, they were saying to me 'make peace and we will come and keep it'. But Somalia needs peacemaking, not peacekeeping."

Gedi was angry at a Human Rights Watch (HRW) report on Monday, saying his troops and their Ethiopian allies were responsible -- together with insurgents -- for widespread crimes against Mogadishu residents during this year's fighting.

"I completely reject what they've said," he said.

"Themselves, they abuse governments," Gedi added, arguing that HRW had wilfully ignored any positive aspects of his government's record like an ongoing peace conference, the set-up of local administrations, and aid to refugees.

They had also ignored crimes by the Islamic Courts during their rule of Mogadishu, including killing and displacing people, destroying property, denying women's rights, using child soldiers, and banning cinema and sports-viewing, he said.

"It seems that the Human Rights Watch or groups are in line with opportunistic people who ... want to keep Somalia in a vacuum, to be a safe haven for terrorist activities."

Gedi added, however, that conflict was messy.

"Everywhere in the world where fighting takes place, some disorders can take place. ... Sometimes you instruct forces and they can do something else, but immediately it is our position and our responsibility to correct any mistakes that take place."

Actually i support the creation of these new encalve, now the target will be clear and anyone in there is a ligitimate target.

is like qabuurahaa qudo.

Baashi   

Try to reason with your fellow SOLers without throwing underhand digs (sometimes outright insults!). Try it buddy. I know you can put a paragraph devoid of namecalling or underhand digs.

Kashafa   

^If they can dish'em out, they can also take'em.

Somalia is under occupation. Social ettiqute is the last thing to worry about.

Here, read it again. Nothing out of order here but an excellent commentary on the mind-set of our homegrown dhabo-dhilifs.

Dear Mr. Duke,

Only those who are the emotionally crippled as well as intellectually pygmies, such as, eh,...the blind cheerleaders of that discredited TFG outfit, in which we seemed to be having them in here on a daily basis could only failed to politically spot the direct analogy that the case of the present-day Iraq has for the currently occupied Somalia, at least in a round-about-sort-of-way....

Hence, were you to have responded to me in any other way, than what your answer seemed to be in the cold light of the day; I would of scream with heart-felt delight; given that it would of have indicated it, that you have finally seen the light, and as a consequences of that have mended your stoogely ways; and more over decided to keep what little honour or manly shame that still could be intact within you, after all of these years of being a shameless chearleader for that a discredited political course that goes under the rubric of the TFG outfit....

But, since, your response was exactly as I had come to expect from you; namely, burying your head in the sand, and delightfully repeating-after-yourself, something that is akin to this little shinding of a ballet, that goes along the line of:

"....Uncle Yey and all he stoogely survey in this world is the best thing that could of happen to those long suffering Somalis...."

One could easily be at ease with his contempt and pity of equal proportion, in which one was accustomed to hold it towards you; particularly ever since you have decided to regail us, with your shameless political stooge-ism of the worst sort, around here of SOL's political section....

AYOUB   

Originally posted by The Duke:

The funniest thing is they compare Somalia to Iraq.

It's a very poor man's Iraq. Where else would you find "green zone", "occupation", "stooges", "war on terror" etc, etc.. There's even you - the "poor man's comical Ali". :D

Originally posted by Kashafa:

^If they can dish'em out, they can also take'em.

Maybe SOL is part of the "green zone" smile.gif

Baashi   

Here he comes again my boy Oodweyne with his usual borrowed phrases a la diffuse and ornate style. How many parapgraphs are dedicated to my cyber character? Typical Oodweyne...something to be expected of him.

Again awoowe what I'm asking you to do is to pull yourself up a bit and come to the table with xaajo rag. Dhoocil discussion is exactly waa waxaanan kula doonayn. Hebel is this and that...you even sometimes cross the akhlaaqiyaad line and go to the extreme where you mention unmentionables. Grow up buddy.

The conflict has not ended yet. We still have clan skirmishes. TFG is an admin dominated by two Somali subclans. They managed to kick behind by using Habasha might. Of all people, you die hard SNM sympathizer should not be surprised by the necessity of what the poet termed as Hadba waxaad ku ciil bixi kadhaa ku cawo adduun ah. TFG did exactly what SSDF, SNM and Aideed had done earlier. The latter three crossed the line and run right into the Mengistu lap and begged tanks and ammunition to ignite the very conflict we are seeing today. The number of innocent folks who died the conflict the rebels (SSDF, SNM, USC, SPM) initiated with the hlp of Ethiopians is over a million in my conservative estimation. My challenge to Oodweyne: whoever cap fits let them wear it. What makes you cheer one brand of collaborators and blast the other brand? Is it all about durriyada awoowe?

Now I'm in full agreement with anyone who says that Habasha stay in Somalia is wrong and illegal. I would also agree with any1 who asserts that Habasha has a clear advantage in manipulating the Somali politics.

What I find completely nonesensical is the idea that SNM are mujahidiin (as if they waged a holy war to establish an Islamic rule) and the high sounding Oodweyne's accusation that this particular brand (TFG) is collobarators (and they are -- notice that I'm not disputing that fact) whereas the admin in Hargeisa (who regularly sends wadaads to Alambakho)or Aideed Jr. now on the other side are not!

C'mon...

Baashi   

Kashafa,

Calling names and overanalyzing characters is something akin to kuray discussion. I was telling my buddy Oodweyne to play game and stop tackling the characters. Awoowe this sort of behavior is not xaajo inna rag. Nor is part of good akhlaaqiyaad mentioned in the hadyi nabi. I don’t see what made you jump so fast. Perhaps it is the daba-dhilif naceyb that makes you not to see things they way they are.

Speaking of your obsession on the occupation thang, some deep soul searching is in order awoowe. There is something wrong in this picture: eight million strong Muslims docile enough to submit to the dictates of several hundred Ethiopian platoons. That can’t be right!

I tell ya the real story bro. I won’t tell no lie akhi. What ya have is Somali conflict. They hate each other more than they hate what you seem to consider Habasha enemy. Geddi and his clan see Ethiopia as a liberator, a friend if you will!!!! Baydhabo folks Ethiopia were Allah sent force that made the difference at darkest hour of their entire existence. A great neutralizer if you will. They don’t have a problem Ethios kicking some particular clan’s behind.

What about Gedo boys? You have heard them through the airwaves. Inna Hiiraale said it quite eloquently and I paraphrase him he said even if it takes Israel to get them out we will ally ourselves with that particular nation.

How about inna Yussuf and his clan grouping? Well ya know the drill I guess. Just in case you didn’t get it right here is the low down. Inna Yussuf and the clannish elite of his clan think that contrary to what some think they are using Ethiopia to do their bidding. South, especially interriverine area is solidly under the domain of either their clans or a neutral non-armed and pushover ‘others’. Deep down he thinks the malcontents in Benadir don’t know anything about managing the state. He calls them waxaan rag ahayn, ragna wax u ogeyn. Do ya see Muslims resembling khulafaa’u raashidiin or taabiciyiin you can rely on here. Nop!

Secessionists in the north do their outmost to please Ethiopia’s strong man by assuring him that he can trust them in capturing the freedom fighters of his eastern domain if they cross the line.

My boy this is Somalis doing. There is no love between the contesting clans and you are adamantly opposed to have them reconciled in any way of form. Clannish wars are non-winnable and the Kingmakers in Addis want to see things remain that way. Unless you got them reconciling you will have ever-burning bonefires.

Man don’t you se!. Every clan runs to Addis except the winners who sat on the loot in Benadir. Secessionists did it in the middle of national war. SSDF started it all. Aideed thanks his success to finally topple the junta to Mengistu’s understanding and support. SPM went to Addis house to get some toys so it too can take part of the undoing of the Somali state. RRA won the golden cub with Tigrean gifts.

Even Hutus in Brundi can manage occupying Somalia so long you have this level of hostility between the clans.

Line up your ducks first. Wake the eight million strong Muslims in whose name you seem to be fighting for and you have a game. Or keep on ur blabla and this Kaliggii Muslim tone a la confused toddler and you won’t go anywhere. Ethiopia will have its thump on Somalia and Duke will call that as a progress. Out of frustration and tit tat cycle you would find yourself cheering Oodweyne’s namecalling diatribe. That’s is sad bro.

me   

Meeshan horta labadeyda taano aan ka dhiibto. Baashi's post made allot of sense to me. Oodweyne bwana isku xishood dee stick to the topic, there is no need for playing it on the man.

Kashafa brother its not as black and white as we would like it to be, its very grey, I thought you knew that by now.

Kashafa running around hysterically won't get us anywhere. As Baashi pointed out in his post our people hate each other more then they hate the enemy. Thats why the invaders can count on the support of so many Somalis. We have committed allot unspeakable crimes against each other. If we are to succeed in defeating our enemy and liberating our country then we should start with reconciling our people so that we can tackle our problems in a united fashion. Calling everyone that doesn't agree with you dab-dhil*lif( I do that too) will only create more animosity and will push our Somali brothers and sisters into the hands of the enemy. Our goal should be winning their hearts and minds to support the good cause, not deepening the animosity. Our enemy is the invaders, our Somali brothers and sisters should be convinced that we need each other. The enemy wants that we turn on each other, lets not do that. Kashafa focus on the enemy alone and you will find allies everywhere, run around calling people dabo-dhil*f you will make enemies everywhere and you will fail in achieving your goals.

My labo taano waa kuwaas.

AYOUB   

Talk about stating the obvious and preaching to the converted Sir Baashi. Insults and name-calling is inappropriate and bad manners to put it mildly. The point is, you ignore Duke's repetitive bad-mouthing of everyone who opposes the Mbagathi faction (in and out of SOL), while lecturing Oodweyne for chucking back at him. How do we explain that wise guy?

Man don’t you se!. Every clan runs to Addis except the winners who sat on the loot in Benadir. Secessionists did it in the middle of national war. SSDF started it all. Aideed thanks his success to finally topple the junta to Mengistu’s understanding and support. SPM went to Addis house to get some toys so it too can take part of the undoing of the Somali state. RRA won the golden cub with Tigrean gifts.

The rebels did seek foreign assistance that's no secret but so did the military junta they were fighting. In fact it went beyond what the likes of SNM and used foreigners in the desperate attempt to hold on to power including Oromos fighters and South African mercenaries. Did it not beg, borrow from every corner of the globe to stay alive. When all that failed, did Gen. Barre not sign a "treaty" that surrendered KILIL5 to Mengistu? Apples for apples Baashi. There's a HUGE difference between Hikmatyar who used US assistance to win the war and an foreign-imposed stooge like Karzai, is there not? You guess who is whom in the Somali context. :D However you try to portray the SNM, we know likes of Muj. Siilaanyo that were forced to seek foreign help against the military junta is now an open critic of the Ethio occupation and massacres committed in Somalia with the help of the collaborating-TFG, and rightly so. If it was all about clan power what stopped him running off to Meles warlord-style when after the last SL elections? (Hikmatyar not Karzai. smile.gif ) Even Meles - who was once Mogadishu - based anti Mengistu rebel leader knows the difference, does he not? smile.gif

I still would've given your emotional out-burst the benefit of the doubt if I never witnessed the acrobatic jump into the "neutral corner" in the critical sixth-round bout between The Courts and The Stooges. Maybe next time... smile.gif

Its a silly idea. Just an idea from the PM. There are many options i the table. The wrong thing here is to compare the Iraq situation to the one in Somalia. Whi only needs more time to train the securty forces and a few more funds.

Me, waa markii Oodweyne Dooxa Hargaysa kugu soo dili lahaa... :D

It appears good Oodweyne is off as always on a long tangent again.

All Baashi suggested was that one should try to debate without resorting to name-calling, and that I find a very hard point to shoot down. Whether it’s all possible to maintain holding to the civility bar, of any debate on SOL, to a reasonable level in these testing times when one’s confronted with shameless characters and blatant political opportunism on a daily basis is a different thing all together. But Baashi’s point is quite valid.

One also needs to note, just for clarity sake, that Kashafa’s stance is quite different than that of Oodweyne. Kashafa is a man who has been preaching virtues and enjoying bad on these boards for a long time. Any objections against him primarily concern about his style and not his principalities. Oodweyne on the other hand has a track record of disowning, like most secessionists did, anything that had something to do with the very Somali republic whose downing he seems to be lamenting now. If I were Kashafa I would just say, like I did many times: war faataxada, faataxadayda iiga duw :D.

Having said that, I think what tfg did, though notched a bit, is akin to what other many Somali movements did in the past tree decades or so. The relationship it has with Ethiopia is not unique. Tfg is a just one piece on the larger political landscape of the geopolitical scheme of the Horn. The chief difference in the tfg’s framework is the fact it made hunting/fighting terrorism [read: good Muslims who want to exact change in their troubled homeland] the corner stone of its political stability. It’s that appeal that allowed it to have the barrowed life it’s breathing now.

There’s no doubt in my mind it will fail in that accord.