Sign in to follow this  
IL CAPO

AMERICANS ARE IGNORANT.

IL CAPO   

Kuala Lumpur - Americans are "very ignorant," and will almost certainly re-elect a "liar" as their leader, Malaysia's former Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said in a trademark tongue lashing directed at United States President George W Bush.

In an interview with Malaysia's The Star newspaper published on Wednesday, Mahathir - known for his blunt remarks - also didn't spare Bush's rival, Senator John Kerry, saying both politicians were "in total denial" about the root causes of terrorism.

Mahathir, however, wrote an open letter dated October 15 to American Muslims, urging them to vote for Kerry because Bush has been "the cause of the tragedies" across the Muslim world.

Meanwhile, current premier Abdullah Ahmad Badawi on Thursday distanced himself from Mahathir's statements and refused to comment on whether the Malaysian government wants Bush or Kerry to win.

Palestine is the problem

"Whatever (Mahathir) has written is his own opinion. Full stop," Abdullah told reporters.

Mahathir stepped down as prime minister after 22 years in office October last year, but has remained as candid as ever in criticising American leaders and Jews, as was evident in Wednesday's interview with The Star.

Mahathir, who cracked down on terror while in office, repeated his view that Islamic terrorism has been fuelled by US and Israeli injustices against the Palestinians.

Mahathir told The Star neither Bush nor Kerry want to address the root problem of terrorism because that would "annoy the Jewish group (voters)."

"If you mention Palestine as the root cause (of terrorism), you will lose the election. So neither Kerry nor Bush will mention Palestine," he said.

"But surprisingly, the electorate appears to be willing to accept a person who told a blatant lie and to elect a liar as their president," he said, referring to Bush's claims about Saddam Hussein stockpiling weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

"The American people are, by and large, very ignorant and know nothing about the rest of the world. ... Yet they are the people who will decide who will be the most powerful man in the world," he said, adding that he thinks Bush will win the November 2 election.

He also blasted Bush's close allies British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Australian Prime Minister John Howard, who won a resounding victory at national polls early this month.

"They (accepted) Blair, and I am sure they will accept Bush. They have already accepted Howard who told a blatant lie," he said, without elaborating.

Mahathir's last days in office were tainted by a controversial speech he gave at a summit of Islamic leaders when he said "Jews rule the world by proxy."

Peace.

Sad but true... the ignorance is cultivated and maintained. Anybody who is awake and lives in the US can attest to that. It's embarrassing. In the past, I never understood why the US continues to be bedfellows with Israel. I don't think it's just the Jewish vote. (Although that's why no presidential candidate mentions Palestinian rights during the campaign). Once anyone gets into office (especially for a second term) they could apply hella pressure on Israel. But no.... Why not? As Linda McQuaig wrote, "It's the crude, dude." A militarily secure Israel protects Big Oil interests. Americans are not only ignorant, but addicted to oil. A very dangerous combination, as we have all seen.

Salaam,

Absolutely true, akhi. In my personal experience, I have found average Americans to be as or more ignorant than you have described, often with quite a bit of ethnocentrism and racism thrown in. I couldn't repeat some of the foul comments I've heard about people from the middle east, Africa, and even Somalia in particular.

Let us fight ignorance with knowledge, and fight Western immorality and apather with morality and conviction.

The Americans are slowly destroying themselves, but are too arrogant and ignorant to notice.

Gabbal   

^^^Waa in markasto lagu soo celiyo sida dadka aynan u eloobin. :cool:

Funny thing is my old man is voting for Bush! :eek:

He says Bush is finally uniting the Muslims and showing them their true enemy. He says what Kerry plans to employ and has previously been used is the old "divide and conquer" strategy, and my old man believes it's his duty as a Muslim to help them unite. :D

Talk about twisted logic.