Sign in to follow this  
Saxardiid

MP sympathises with suicide bombers

MP sympathises with suicide bombers

An MP sparked outrage by saying she would consider becoming a suicide bomber if forced to live like Palestinians.

Pro-Israel politicians were incensed by Liberal Democrat Jenny Tonge's remarks. But defiant Dr Tonge, the party's former International Development spokeswoman, stood by the comments.

The row echoed that over Cherie Blair's suggestion that bombers felt they had "no hope but to blow themselves up". Dr Tonge, who stands down as MP for Richmond Park at the next election, told a pro-Palestinian lobby that life under Israel could be intolerable.

"That sort of thing repeated on a daily basis made me understand how people can become suicide bombers," she said.

"I think if I had to live in that situation - and I say that advisedly - I might just consider becoming one myself."

Lib Dem leader Charles Kennedy faced calls to make her retract the remarks. However, Dr Tonge was unrepentant. She told Sky News: "From minor things to major things their life does not feel like it is worth living.

"What I said was that I do not condone suicide bombers. Nobody can condone them.

"But I do understand why people out there become suicide bombers. It is out of desperation.

"I dare say if I was in their situation with my children and my grandchildren and I saw no hope for the future at all - which I'm not, of course, but if I did - I might just think about it myself."

Labour peer Lord Janner, chairman of the Holocaust Educational Trust, said the bombers were terrorists opposed to peace between the two sides.

"For a member of either House of this Parliament to say she has sympathy with it, I think is awful."

James Purnell, currently leading a delegation of fellow Labour MPs to Israel, said Mr Kennedy must make Dr Tonge retract her remarks and make it clear they were not party policy.

click for link