Sign in to follow this  
LayZie G.

~To Outlaw Or Not To Outlaw Adultery~

Many of you might heard the news that Turkey's Islamic-Governing Party's plan to re-introduce proposal to "outlaw adultery", even though it will cost them the chance to become a member of NATO.

It was also reported that they might go ahead and not re-submit this same proposal that was rejected previously, but to also re-phrase the "adultery" phrase, because there was some noise from the european union, and might instead call it "SEXUAL INFIDELITY"????

What do you think about the idea of criminalizing "adultery"/"Sexual Infidelity"?

I think this is a good idea, only because it will definitely help minimize the chances of Aids, and other related sexual diseases that is become epidemic in the world.

Don't forget, this might also help families stay together, divorce rates will decrease, and men won't have an excuse to go ahead and cheat, and yes, I am making this men/women issue.(Only because men are known to cheat more than women)

Khayr   

Salaamz,

You know what Secularism argues about in this point is the question of

'CAN YOU REGULATE/CONTROL MORALITY?'

Secularism's response is-What people do in their HOUSES, is non of 'OUR BUSINESS'. The state can not control morality in otherwords and how we can we judge, if we are but HUMANS that error too, right! I'm sure u've heard the phrase 'Only God can Judge Me'

The Islamic View-What you do IN YOUR HOME affects SOCIETY. Why? B/c you are part of the muslim ummah and every muslim is part of that house (the house of Islam) which is constructed on SOLID foundations (Quran and Sunnah) with many different BRICKS (Muslims).

So it should actually be a SHOCK to a MUSLIM to see a Muslim Majority state actually not BANNING what is HARAM in the first place.

Fi Amanillah

DraGon   

Laziegirl..good topic sis!!!

In general it is difficult to criminalize morality but in this case (adultery) the effects of immoral behaviour is far reaching and destructive. You mentioned family breakdown and AIDS as a consequences of this sin to be crime soon in Turkey (InshaAllah). Can you Imagine if your husband/wife contracted you and your child with AIDS as a result of there actions??? Yes I can, because I know people who are victims of this immoral behaviour. And there is nothing in this world that can compensate what has happened to them. I don't understand the Europeans fuss with this law!!! They say this is an action of two consenting adults. But also in europe you will be prosecuted if you infect someone with AIDS even though the sexual act is consentual. do you see the falacy???

FYI Turkey is already a member of NATO. Its EU that they want to join.

Im glad of the few response with affirmative answers this thread received. I live in turkey and can only tell you that unfortunately the elite (excluding the party in power) consider the move as very unnecessary. Its a personal preference between two people and the govt should'nt interfere. Anyway,personally I find the move is in accordance to the Islamic heritage this country possesses though tries to forget. The ruling if passed will target the male folk more as its a common fact that they tend to visit the so called 'Genel ev'. What the feminist group fear is there may be an increase in female oriented genocide as when the couple are caught and brought to justice , most families will decide to have the females killed as they brought shame to the family.

This type of regulation is susceptible to corruption, don't you think?

And how exactly would they regulate it? In accordance to the Islamic laws --where 4 people have to be eye-witnesses--present while the 2 individuals are "engaged" in the act? I hardly doubt they will follow those specific procedures!

And I can see how a woman will be the most ostersized (sic) because she is the only one that can carry one-half of the evidence (in her womb)...so then will they publicly stone/whip/behead her before they try to find who fathered her "illegitimate" child? etc etc etc

Rahima   

And I can see how a woman will be the most ostersized (sic) because she is the only one that can carry one-half of the evidence (in her womb)...so then will they publicly stone/whip/behead her before they try to find who fathered her "illegitimate" child? etc etc etc

Sadly true.

I too worry about this.

The laws of the Almighty need to be adhered to tightly.

NGONGE   

You have not given enough details on how this is to be carried out. You mentioned Islam but didn’t say if the judgment will be done in a civil court or an Islamic one.

I wouldn’t want to risk making a judgment on this idea, but purely on the strength of your article I think this is a Turkish version of Islam-lite.

By the way, doesn’t “adultery†relate to people who are already married? Are the young ones free to fornicate then?

DA,

I wouldn’t want to get into an Islamic discussion on the subject. However, the stoning on the strength of half the evidence (baby in the womb) is only accepted by those who follow the Maliki madhab (I think).

You can't regulate behavior, but educating about the dangers of STDs including the HIV virus will go a long way to curb the spread. N I doubt this would reduce the divorce rate, we will just have more unhappy couples trapped in a meaningless marriages.