Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

RE: Somali Recipes HELP!

Hibo   

Hello,

My church in COlumbus, Ohio (USA) participates in a program for homless families. MAny of the families are Somali women and children.

Church memebrs take turns providing meals, and we would like to provide Somali food as an alternative to western dishes which they do not seem to like. While we can understand food that is strange in taste, appearance, and smell causes hesitation, we have been unablet o find simple Somali recipes that we could prepare.

If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE e-mail me at gradstudent51@hotmail.com.

Thank-you.

Gayle Ann

Hibo   

Its sad to hear of somalis that r homeless..but I will email u some of my recipes inshallah when time permits!

Hibo   

Thank-you!

Last night there was a woman with nine children, the youngest of whom was one month old. Last month, there was a woman with 8 children, most of whom were young.

I took beef meatball sandwiches last night (all beef) and bow tie pasta. The pasta appeared to be okay. All of the children ate it.

I'd be willing to prepare something (providing it is not TOO difficult <grin>. I work full time and go to school full time, so cooking for myself tends to consist of heating up things from the grocery store.

I just hate to take things that they don't like.

The program is Interfaith Hospitality Network. Social Service agencies refer homless families only. There are several churches that participate. The families eat, sleep, and do laundry at the church. Each church takes them for a week. Our church isn't big enough to accomodate the 20+ people, but we work with a church at the other end of the block. They provide the shelter, and our church takes care of fixing dinner meals, and volunteers to spend the night at the church with them.

Social service agencies then work on finding permanent shelter, a job, etc.

Columbus has a large Somali community, but that community doesn't seemed to be involved in helping these individuals, and I'm not sure why. I confess, I don't really understand the dymanics of the program other than the food or shelter part. I don't understand how they get to this country or how they become homeless. The families I've seen have all been women and children, no husbands. I know a few of the women have been abandoned by husbands, who came as graduate students. The ones in the program appear to ahve no friends or relatives here or friends and relatives willing to help.

It seems strange to me that w woman would get on a plane with 9 children, alone, adn then have no where to go when they get off hte plane... One person did tell me that some of the people are brought here by various relief agencies, and then somewhat abandoned. Which seems shocking.

I can't do much, but I can try to prepare food during the nights our church volunteers, so if anyone has any main dish recipes or desserts. Somethign that would cheer them up for a little while because it is familiar!

Thanks so much.

Gayle Ann

Daacuud   

Thanx GAYLE, I am not a good cook but I will try to ask my mother for some traditional Somali recipies. Please come back and visit the women's forum again. Many young ladies here will gladly help you. It is nice to see people helping people.

God Bless America

I love this dish, macaan walaahi.

This is a very old recipe. It's great if you have a big crowd to feed...

Elephant Stew

Cut 1 Medium-sized elephant into 1-inch cubes. Place in kettle containing

2,315 gallons of water. Simmer 3 days. Add 1/2 ton assorted vegitables (do

not use rutabagas - rutabagas hate people, that's why they taste the way

they do.)

Add a dash of salt and pepper. Simmer 4 more days over low heat.

This recipe serves 3,842 people. If more are coming, add 4 rabbits - no

more- as most people do not like to find hare in their stew.

(ha ha ha...)

Hibo   

Commonsense, brother/sister,

This is needs an undevided attention, we have to help Gyle Ann. I am not a cook but there are alot of Nomad Queens who can give you the best tips and tricks of making dishes that make anyone grin with delight.

Girls, this is your field i guess.

Thank you

Best Regards

Hibo   

Gayle Ann,

Don't beleive everything you hear. Most refugees, just like poor American families have learned the easiest way to get housing is through shelters.

The INS is not doing its job of making responsible those who sponsors families to come here in the first place. Somalis are very clanish people who would die for their clan. This notion of a family of 9 or 8 not having realtives in Ohio is b.s.

Hibo   

I know it is such a shameful thing to see our own children suffer this way and seek refuge in worshiping places, but it hurts to hear stories of Somali family is in this kind of a situation.

God helps us

Hibo   

looooool@Commonsense

To the Poster

i volunteer at Somali Women Associations... and i'm just wondering why i haven't heard about your program because we work with batered women...and we are prety much involved in the community...i'm not saying that it doesn't exist but there alot of somali community in columbus and its surounding areas so i would suggest you contact one of them if you need help with anything...maybe they can work better with you...most of them have offices at cleveland ave

or you can post your church address here and we will contact you

Hibo   

Oh Poster, wish I could see this message alot sooner - Well the Somali main dish is Rice - Here's my $1 receipe:

Lunch: Rice (Basmati) with Stew Beef or Chicken.

This is what you do:

Fry Red Pepper (spice), Carrots, Onions, Garlic,Persleys, Salt,Pepper (black) with 1/4 cup of cooking oil (corn) - for 10 mins at a 250degree - or till the color gets brownish. Add the stew beef(5lb? depends how many servings) - cook for another hour -

add the pre-washed rice (5lb)- add 2 full cups of water just to get it above the rice -cook for 30 mins - preheat oven(350degrees) -proceed to the oven(for another 30mins) - till it gets crispy.

Serve it with Bananas.

Thats it for now. Where are my Nomad sisters - help me out here.

God Bless.

------------------

"He tried to be somebody by trying to be like everybody, which makes him a nobody."

Hibo   

Grandmas recipes are meant to be top secret folks. smile.gifsmile.gif

------------------

("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'

(il),-`` (li),` ((!.-` S-h-a-q-ss-ii

Hibo   

Shaqsii, I see you @_@ writing down my receipe - Go on, no biggie, you'r not the first one.

God Bless.

------------------

"He tried to be somebody by trying to be like everybody, which makes him a nobody."

alby   

holla!

It would make a whole latta sense if u would ask the mothers that u're helping to do the cooking. Instead of u running around preparring the food itself.(since u're busy and all u know) Well, that's just my opinion. U've asked for help. So, here are some suggestions cwm1.gif Dried Wattle Twigs roasted with Wood Chips and Crevice-Algae Salsa Dip

This is a super topper, perfect for when you or the kids want something different or fast.

<b]Ingredients</b]

Twigs from a wattle bush, preferably gathered some distance away from the communal latrine

4 1/2 C. wood chips, hacked from the bark of a Chana tree

Scrapings of red and green algae from between rocks on the crags at Kumra Basin

Preparation

Julienne the wattle twigs and mix well in a small gourd. Marinate the wood chips in goat urine for one hour at room temperature (52° C/135° F), uncovered, using a hair whisk to keep away camel flies and sand fleas.

For the dip, chop the algae, taking care not to mix the two colors, then wring head towel into the two piles. Set aside.

In a medium gourd, mix the wattle twigs and the wood chips (which should now be moist and dark-colored).

Set out small decorative Red Cross soup can husks, cut in half, and sprinkle a little salsa in each.

Serve.

Per Serving

Calories 4

Total fat 0

Saturated fat 0

Cholesterol 0

Sodium 604 mg

Medallions of Camel Dung Spit-grilled and Rolled in Sand.

Zesty sand coating adds zing to this signature dish from the table of Reza Farah Aidid.

Ingredients

4 medium-sized camel droppings, de-strawed and de-flied

2 C. Sand

Preparation

Skewer droppings on wattle-stick skewer. Grill over a hot fire until hard and very dark brown. Sprinkle sand on hut floor and roll droppings in sand until evenly coated.

Serve with a little thin gruel.

Per Serving

Calories 12

Total fat .04 g

Saturated fat .02 g

Cholesterol 0

Sodium 766 mg

Warm Locust Salad

Crunchy and moist, this crowd-pleaser is perfect for a summer's day picnic

Ingredients

25 medium-sized African locusts

Hemp leaves

Preparation

Remove legs and wings. Set aside.

In large gourd, mix hemp leaves and locusts and toss with a little spit.

Garnish with legs and wings.

Per Serving

Calories 220

Total fat 2 g

Saturated fat 1 g

Cholesterol 0

Sodium 488 mg

Baked Chicken with Grubs and Moss.

Southern flavors team up in a colorful and delicious lunchtime favorite

ngredients

One chicken (if you can catch it - it belongs to the Jafra clan) or substitute large toad salamander

Clump hardy perennial moss

Dung-beetle grubs

Preparation

Bake for 40 minutes in the hot sand. Mix well.

Per Serving

Calories 339

Total fat 4 g

Saturated fat 2 g

Cholesterol 2 g

Sodium 1088 mg

------------------

Girlfriend:"And are you sure you love me and noone else?" Boyfriend: "Dead sure! I checked the whole list again yesterday

[This message has been edited by alby (edited 05-14-2002).]