Sign in to follow this  
IL CAPO

SOMALIS ARE FORGOTTEN PEOPLE.

IL CAPO   

Nairobi - "When word reaches you 'Kiplagat is in court', you should know it's because I put my signature on so many expenses for the Somalis."

Chief Somalian peace negotiator Bethuel Kiplagat's tongue-in-cheek warning to conference-goers in Pretoria last week, has sombre undertones: chances are slim Kliplagat will land in jail for guaranteeing hotel, restaurant and transport bills of the 600-odd Somali delegates to the negotiations in Kenya over the past few months. However, what does concern Kiplagat, is that the international community might get so fed-up with the long-winded negotiations that the necessary financial aid won't be forthcoming.

Somalia is the only African country without an internationally recognised government.

Anarchy rules

The government collapsed and anarchy now rules the country where warlords have waged civil war for many years and thousands of people have died. Somalis fled the country in their millions seeking a better life elsewhere.

Following 18 months of peace negotiations a tiny flicker of hope has emerged promising a binding agreement to restore order.

Complex conflicts raging between warlords, gangs, clans and sub-clans, traditional authorities and political factions, have made it difficult to establish who speaks with the true voice of Somalis.

And that is why there are so many participants in the peace negotiations.

Murky role

An added complication is the fact that a section of Somalia is functioning as an independent state, Somaliland. In addition a the murky role is being played by certain neighbouring countries and international powers.

Kiplagat admits there is a likelihood that the latest plans for a transitional government might fail.

"During the previous negotiations Somalis went to Mecca and swore on the Koran to stop fighting, but it didn't work.

"We cannot be as naive as to believe that this time round we will definitely by successful," Kiplagat, a member of Africa Peer Review Mechanism-panel, told the conference organised by the Africa Institute.

The crisis in Somalia resulted after General Mohamed Siad Barre seized power in 1969 in a coup and civil war broke out in 1978. Barre's regime was overthrown in an armed revolt. Somaliland, in the northwest seceded at the time.

No idea of democracy

Kiplagat says the process includes everyone who represents the disjointed Somali community in one way or another. "We have to include those who might want to sabotage the effort. If they are excluded we have a huge problem on our hands."

Mogadishu Centre for Dialogue co-director Jabril Ibrahim Abdulle says the possibility that peace negotiations will aggravate the conflict, cannot be ruled out.

"We are dealing with warlords who have no idea of democracy. If talks fail, they immediately close ranks. The last time it happened we were left with two thousand deaths."

Several observers believe Somaliland should be treated as a separate entity. Only when a government has been instituted in the rest of the country can negotiations over co-operation between them start.

Greater participation by the international community would be required for the transition to be successful. Currently it is not the case. "We hope it is not necessary for a disaster to happen before people take note of events in Somalia," says Abdulle.

In southern Sudan, where issues are much more clearly defined - mainly Muslims pitted against Christians - and where it is easier to identify the conflicting sides, the US is playing an important role, but not in Somalia.

US plays damaging role

Some observers say the US plays a damaging role since they provide certain warlords with arms to capture "Al Qaeda" suspects. Assistance during the transitional period is therefor more likely to come from the Middle East than from the US or Europe.

Kiplagat is confident that with the commitment of the rest of Africa the peace process must succeed sooner or later.

"Somalis are forgotten people. We weep with them, but we will be successful, with or without the money," he says. "Even if it takes ten years, we have to keep on trying. Somalia's problem is Africa's problem."

Qudhac   

"somalis are forgoten people"

what exacly do somalis want, do they want the "UN" to wail and weep in their name so they can feel "not forgoten", like they weep for palestinians. i always hear some somali writter moaning that somalis are forgeten by the international communuty, and i wonder do they think the international community is some agony aunt that comes to magicaly solve your problems.

somalis need to stop this baby like mentality of always needing outsiders to do anything, the peace process comes to mind somalis have developed this inferiority complex in their ability to things for themselves, so it seems they always begging for foriegners to wash their dirty laundry for them.

Waaq   

Forgotten yes, but who is responsible for this mess? Who bears the consequences for failure? How can such an independent and proud nation turn into a bunch of beggars? Sure, the international community has a responsiblity to assist in the return of security and stability, but in my opinion the majority of the responsibility falls on the backs of the Somali people. You might argue that the people are disenfranchised, and that is correct, but unless they regain their voice and strength Somalis will forever be at the mercy of others.

14 years have passed, and many have been affected, yet people in the forum still argue over qabiil politics. People in here still support the crooks, thugs, and murderers. The fact of the matter is that is generation of leaders are corrupted. It is time they stand aside, and make way for a new generation. I don't care if you are from my clan, region, or family, if you do you not have the honesty, modesty, intelligence and skills to serve than I will not support you. Maybe we should create a United Emirates of Somalia, so that everyone is responsible for their own successess and failures.

Of course, we are forgetton, who wants to help the ungrateful? Who wants to help those without humility or modesty? Who wants to help someone who cannot help themselves?

Waaq   

I forgot one important thing. Waryaa, what do you mean Somalis are forgotten everywhere. How many nations have opened their arms? How many Somalis take advantage of the welfare of others? We are not entitled to anything. We should be forced to work hard and earn our keep. It is attitudes such as yours that have disgraced Somalis everywhere. We have become the ungrateful guest, the beggar, the laggard and it all disgusts me.

Let the numbers speak

300,000 - 500,000 Somalis in the US

50,000 have been admitted every year for the past five years the largest African population

Similar numbers in Canada

Similar numbers in Europe