Sign in to follow this  
Culture

Questions regarding Healthcare.

Culture   

Somali Culture - Questions regarding Healthcare.

I came across a person who is doing a report of Somali Culture related to Nursing Care in the Hospital, especially the Emergency Department.

I would appreciate if you could answers these questions in the most respectfull manner, as its very sensative in regards to how it will be used.

Keep in mind these questions are being asked by a non-muslim.

--------------------------------------------------

1) Who should a nurse go through to get accurate information regarding health regarding Somali's?

2) What are Somali people's views regarding taking medication, and pain medication?

3) In cases of domestic abuse, what is the best way to get correct information, and what is the best way to help the vicitm?

4) What is the best way to get information across? (verbal teaching, pamphlets, pictures?)

5) What other cultural tips would be important for nurses to know in order to help take better care of Somali patients?

Thank you in advance.

Culture   

If any chance, anyone had ever went throught the emergency deparment in the US, I would appreciate if you could answer some of these question, please

Iffah   

Fortunately, I have not suffered a severe illness that required hospitalization, nor have I dealt with Somali patients as a healthcare worker. But I'll attempt to answer some of your questions.

1) Who should a nurse go through to get accurate information regarding health regarding Somali's?

If you're asking about health information about Somalis in general I would suggest you seek the help of a healthcare provider who is familiar with Somalis...or maybe even the aid of Somali community organizations. Perhaps they can provide you with health stats regarding Somalis (if that is what you're looking for). But if your question is about obtaining health information from a Somali patient, I would say the best way to get this info is to get it directly from the source - the patient. If there is a language barrier, the help of an interpreter can be obtained through the hospital. (As far as I know)

2) What are Somali people's views regarding taking medication, and pain medication?

I think there is a problem of non-compliance with the medication regimen. Although the patients know they must take the medication, they might not follow prescribed dosages and frequency, i.e., the onset of the pain has worsened, so the pt increases the dosage. Or the patient has forgotten to take a dose at its prescribed time, so he takes it when he remembers instead of waiting for the next dose and carrying on from there. So in order to avoid such errors, more patient teaching about the medications, disease process and other treatment procedures are needed. As for pain meds, there could be a fear of addiction or dependence on these medications. If you, as a nurse notice your patient's pain is not being well controlled with the current medications, but the patient is not voicing any complaints of pain - you should investigate what is going on with this particular patient. The patient may be thinking he is already receiving a maximum dose of the pain med, while he may just be receiving the minimal dose. Also, explain to the patient other forms of pain meds can be explored.

3) In cases of domestic abuse, what is the best way to get correct information, and what is the best way to help the vicitm?

-I guess the best way is to interview the victim alone (away from their abuser) ...I guess this is how you would handle similar cases.

4) What is the best way to get information across? (verbal teaching, pamphlets, pictures?)

- Everyone learns different. There is no just one proven way to get information to us. Use a variety of teaching methods that way there is a more likely chance your information will get across.

5) What other cultural tips would be important for nurses to know in order to help take better care of Somali patients?

Somalis follow the Islamic faith. Islamic law prohibits the consumption of pork or pork products. This dietary restriction should be included in the patient’s chart/kardex. I also think this restriction should be included under food allergy, this way it is certain the patient will not receive anything containing pork from the kitchen.

As you know, hospital food isn’t at all appealing. Tell the patient, family members can bring him familiar dishes from home, as long as the patient isn’t to follow a certain strict diet.

Modesty is very important to Muslims. Muslim women cover themselves (from head to ankles). Men must be covered from the waist to knees. Therefore, the typical hospital gown isn’t considered decent. Please provide them with at least two gowns (one to cover the front the other for the back) if possible.

Muslims pray 5 obligatory prayers daily. If a patient is able to pray despite their illness, (i.e., not bedridden) they may want to observe these prayers. Provide them with a quiet place to perform these prayers if possible.

The Somali community is a very close knit community. If a person among them is hospitalized, be aware there might be many visitors (usually more than 2 at once) for that patient during his hospital stay.

I think these are some important tips to keep in mind if you want to facilitate your patient’s well being and aid them in their road to recovery.

Hopefully, others will be able to add some more information and correct whatever info that needs correcting from my post.

Good Luck.

Salaams.

Culture   

Thank you very much, as this was for someone else, I appreciate greatly for the response.

Also, would it be fair to say, confidentiality is the key when speaking to a Somali or the idea of assuring to patient reguraly.

Furthermore, keep in mind that most of these patients would be migrants whom just arrived, or have been in the country for a short period of time.

Once again, thank you for your detailed response. I will surely use them wisely.