Sign in to follow this  
BN

Somali peace talks resolve key issues - Reuters

BN   

Somali peace talks in Nairobi plunges into confusion

July 06, 2003. HornAfrik, Mogadishu, Somalia.

As the Somalia delegates at the peace conference in Kenya signed a historic agreement yesterday to form a federal government to lead the country for the next four years, some main faction leaders have today disapproved the agreement.

Muse Sudi Yalahow, one of Mogadishu’s main faction leaders who currently staying out of the peace conference described the agreement as unacceptable.

Speaking with the reports in his compound in Mogadishu on Sunday, Mr. Yalahow said that important leaders were staying out of the agreement.

Although the prime minister of the transitional government of Somalia, Hassan Abshir Farah has signed yesterday’s agreement, the TNG president Abdikasim Salat Hassan is expected to reject it.

The leaders of the Jubba Valley alliance which controls Kismayo town in lower Jubba region also expressed dissatisfaction with the new agreement.

Analysts believe that rapid change in the peace process was part of Somalia’s mercurial politics.

Delegates at the meeting have also agreed yesterday to form a parliament of 351 members who will be selected by the political leaders who signed the cease fire deal in Kenya in October last year.

Some sources say that the TNG was against that part of the agreement.

The Kenyan-sponsored Somali talks have been continuing for the eight month in efforts to end 13 years of anarchy in Somalia.

BN   

TNG Prime Minister Rejects the President’s Decision

July 07, 2003. HornAfrik, Mogadishu, Somalia.

The prime minister of the transitional national government of Somalia Hassan Abshir Farah and the speaker of the transitional assembly Abdalla Derow Isak have strongly rejected today the decision taken by the TNG president to disapproval the latest agreement signed by the Somali political leaders at the peace conference in Kenya.

Speaking in a joint press conference in Nairobi, the speaker and the prime minister told reports that they were the TNG official delegates at the peace talks.

Earlier, the president Abdikasim Salad Hassan had rejected the new agreement that aimed at forming a federal government to rule four years.

The president described the agreement as an attempt to divide the country into rival states.

On the issue of federalism, Mr. Hassan described it as premature.

Mr. Hassan warned that he and his delegation will walk out the conference unless their complaints were immediately addressed.

In the latest development the acting prime minister of the TNG who is currently in Mogadishu supported the president’s decision.

This however exposed the bitter rift within the transitional authority.

Last month, the speaker declared himself Somali’s new president after accusing the president of violating the national constitution.

The Somali peace talks have been continuing in Kenya for the last eight months to establish an effective government after 13 years of anarchy and clan based ware fare.

BN   

This seems to be political posturing on the part of the TNG leader C/Qasim. Is he still running for President? Isn't the prime minister the head of the TNG government? Who has the last say PM or TNG president?

Sophist   

Wararka Somalida Maanta

Madaxweyne-ku-xigaha Puntland Maxamed Cabdi Xaashi ayaa soo saaray war saxaafadeed uu maamulka Putland ku taageerayo ga,aamadii lagu heshiiyey shirka dib u heshiisiinta soomaalida uga socda duleedka magaalada Nairobi,meesha lagu magacaabo Mbagathi.

Warsaxaafadeedka Madaxweyne-ku-xigeenkuna wuxuu u qornaa sidan hoose:

http://www.laascaanood.com/somalinews/somalinews080703.html

Laascaanood Online,Laascaanood.

Meiji   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

Allahu Akbar!!

Allahu Akbar!!!

Allahu Akbar!!!!

I was just watching CNN Headline News, when I saw that the size of government had been agreed to.

I came on the net to find more info, and i came straight to this post.

Alla mahadle

Allahu Akbar

Alhamdulilah

Soomaaliyay toosoo-ay!

Happiness does not describe my present feeling.

You could have posted this when Jabuti ''unity'' parlaments size was ''agreed'' to.

Some things never change.

Gabbal   

^Let us say I have become less "optimistic" over the years. ;)

[EDIT]

Why are you going around and digging up my old posts? Jacaylbaroo kalaan noqday. I've never seen so much Gabbal started topics in one line-up. :D

Meiji   

Gabbal,

I'm doing it not because of you, but because of the content.

The things you have posted are very interesting when we read them now.

I hope Somalis will see that 6 years ago, things were kinda the same, and 6 years later, things will be kinda the same. So dont lose your sleep over daily events, because this is about the long-term.

Again, its just a coincidence that most topics were started by you.

Gabbal   

Yes, in retrospect it is very interesting. Interesting in the sense of "same ole, same ole", a repetitive chain of events.

No wonder I have become so disillusioned.