Sign in to follow this  
BN

Somali peace talks resolve key issues - Reuters

BN   

05 Jul 2003 18:38:17 GMT

Somali peace talks resolve key issues - mediators

NAIROBI, July 5 (Reuters) - Somali delegates at peace talks made a "major breakthrough" in efforts to form a new government to reunite the fractured country on Saturday when they agreed on the size of a parliament, mediators said.

Rows between Somalia's warring factions over the size of a new parliament have delayed the setting up of a new interim government in the Horn of Africa country, plunged into chaos by rival clan-based warlords more than a decade ago.

Mediators said delegates at the talks in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi -- Somalia's 14th peace initiative in 10 years -- had agreed to form a 351-member parliament. The size of the assembly had been a key sticking point.

Participants agreed that the assembly, to be known as the Transitional Parliament, would have a duration of four years and have its members selected by political leaders who signed a peace deal in Kenya in October. Leaders officially invited by mediators will also participate in the process.

Mediators said the agreement would pave the way for establishing a government to reunite the country of seven million people, saying the selection of members of the new parliament should begin soon.

"The government that will be formed will focus on reconciliation and peace-building. Regions that are having peace now should be strengthened," said Kenya's chief negotiator at the talks, Bethuel Kiplagat, in a statement.

Mediators said delegates had agreed to set up a federal system to reunite Somalia -- currently carved into rival fiefdoms by warlords -- with a president elected by parliament.

A prime minister will be appointed by the president for what will be known as the Transitional Federal Government of The Republic of Somalia. The premier will form the government.

The peace talks began last October, bringing more factions together than ever before. Many previous attempts to end the conflict have failed, defeated by wrangling between rival clans.

The new government is supposed to take over from a previous Transitional National Government (TNG), set up in 2000 to try restore some stability.

The TNG, whose term expires in early August, only controls parts of the capital Mogadishu and pockets of territory elsewhere, underscoring the difficulties of reuniting Somalia.

BN   

Somalis agree government-BBC

_38840931_talks203.jpg

_39248802_somalia_203map.gif

Political leaders at the Somali peace talks in Kenya have agreed to establish a federal government to govern anarchy-plagued Somalia for the next four years.

Delegates at the talks also agreed to form a transitional parliament of 351 members, which will appoint the federal president, who in turn will name a new prime minister.

International observers described the agreement as a historic step for Somalia which has been engulfed in fighting between powerful warlords since the overthrow of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in January 1991.

A transitional national government (TNG) was set up in August 2000 but it only controls a part of the capital, Mogadishu.

'Lasting peace'

More than 300 delegates representing the TNG, Somali armed factions and political groups attended what is known as the second phase of the Somali peace talks.

The talks began last October when more than 20 faction leaders had agreed a ceasefire accord, but were later bogged down by a number of disputes.

On Saturday, the delegates agreed that members of the transitional assembly would be largely selected by the signatories of the ceasefire deal.

"This agreement will bring lasting peace to Somalia," said warlord Hussein Mohamed Aidid, chairman of the Somali Restoration and Reconciliation Council (SRRC).

Although no date was given for the creation of the new government, a mediator at the talks told the BBC that it was expected to be in place by the end of the month.

The delegates also said the transitional government would start urgent talks with Somaliland which broke away form Somalia in 1991.

More than a dozen attempts to broker peace in Somalia since then have failed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3048076.stm

BN   

Somali leaders agree on a transitional government and parliament

Somali leaders attending a peace conference in Nairobi say they've agreed to establish a federal government which will rule the Horn of Africa country for the next four years. One of the main sticking points was the size of the parliament, which will now have 351 seats. Parliament will appoint a prime minister and he will appoint three deputy prime ministers and other cabinet ministers. The conference noted that delegates will first consult with clan elders in their communities. The latest accord is seen as a major breakthrough in efforts by the international community to restore peace in war-torn Somalia, which has not had a recognised government for more than a decade.

http://www.dw-world.de/english/0,3367,4789_W_912700,00.html

Gabbal   

Allahu Akbar!!

Allahu Akbar!!!

Allahu Akbar!!!!

I was just watching CNN Headline News, when I saw that the size of government had been agreed to.

I came on the net to find more info, and i came straight to this post.

Alla mahadle

Allahu Akbar

Alhamdulilah

Soomaaliyay toosoo-ay!

Happiness does not describe my present feeling.

LANDER   

The delegates also said the transitional government would start urgent talks with Somaliland which broke away form Somalia in 1991.

Here comes the test for Riyaale.

Dinaax   

once again the warlords that rule somalia is being forced to ghether by a country that colonize somalis .. further they have been organized to kill more somalis mostly in mogadhiso .. as the relics of siyaad barre has been re organized south somali think it is open season when they invade other people... i dont thinks so.. first it seems south somalis mostly those in diaspore some of them will celebrate the buthchers, killers , orgnanized by fouring nations as thier true leaders as they celebrated the killing of this men while in 70s 80s, 90s,.. while there is great doubt how they wil fair in thier turfs, The somaliland people should prepare a long war if neccessary and ready any threat of their souverenity .. if they accept our people referundum, and borders that could be some thing , but if they make them selves busy as thier predessors did , somaliland people should be ready a long war.. the only thing, they could do is help the Cabdullahi yusuf , the killer of thousands, even some women's husband in the meeting of pigfarm...

while there wiilnot be any meetings , somaliland should now prepare their troops , the diaspora of somalilanders should open thier wallets as they did before in Snm and the rebuilding of somaliland.. more over, the younger somalilanders including my self should prepare to go home and join the army if the need arises.. more over, our leaders resolve will be tested , mainaly siilanyo, Riyale, Faysal cali waraabe, and the millitery leaders .... however, it seems the warlords will take years and years to fight among them selves and create more widows, orphans, in the south,,,

the time will tell ...........

JUXAA   

Why do I sense a panic from Somalilandlanders whenever there is a prospect of Somali government? What the article says is there should be a dialogue, no invasion and isn’t that what you always insisted on, you will only talk with a Somali government when it is in place? !!!!

what i have always wondered is how southerners expect somaliland to re-unite with them. the somaliland people would NEVER re-unite with southern somalia.

the only way that they can be brought back is by force. you need to murder close to three million somalilanders and only then the land of somaliland will belong to the southerners. because they will never get the people of somaliland back

Paltalk   

TO: Dinaax

it is obviouse that one's this breakthrough succeeds, and a new Somali government is established. Somaliland will be urged to came under the adminstration of the new somali government. If Somaliland declares their desire to remain defient. Somalia will be recognized internationally and one's somali's army is established from scratch. Military force will be our last resort, to make Somaliland comply with somali's demands.

It is obviouse in the event of war somaliland can't challenge a new stablished army that is well equiped well trained with the modern techonology. Military force is not the plan, but if it becomes the last resort. Somaliland's and it's regime will suffer "Shock and Awe" campaign of bombardment. It will be a hitoric war and the second generation of Somaliland will stop dreaming of independent somaliland.

Time will tell.

BN   

Originally posted by A.J. Timacadeh:

what i have always wondered is how southerners expect somaliland to re-unite with them. the somaliland people would NEVER re-unite with southern somalia.

Your 'nationalism' is misplaced. As Gediid said, every 'Somaliland' leader/government dreams of Somaliweyn. It's just a matter of having a stable government in the rest of Somalia. They will work on a powersharing agreement and of course Waqoyi-Galbeed will form a federal region within Somalia. :D

the only way that they can be brought back is by force. you need to murder close to three million somalilanders and only then the land of somaliland will belong to the southerners. because they will never get the people of somaliland back.

VERY misplaced 'nationalism'. Somali lands belong to all Somalis. If you think it will result in a war your sadly mistaken. Insha'Allah all Somalis will be reunited peacefully.

bari_nomad

you are mistaken once again. the people of somaliland own the land they live on and the southerners have no right to even start disputing this.

the people of somaliland will never re-unite with the southern savages till the day they die. so in other words the only way that somaliland will re-unite with somalia is by brute force like that of your uncle siyad.

i have never dreamt about somaliweyn.gediid might (eventough i doubt that very much) but the rest of the somalilanders dont. i would rather die then having to think of such a disgusting idea. if was breadks between somaliland and somalia i myself will go to somaliland and fight for my people and defend the honours of my people.

so if the south is so DESPERATE to re-unite somaliland with the south they are going to have to use whatever force they have

JUXAA   

A. J and others there are already signs that Somaliland is coming along. So boy you will never know what happens hadal yuusan kaa tagin. Have you ever heard this maah maah '' Walaashaa iskuma hubtide seedigaa ha isku ceebayn''. Riyaale and the big players in Somaliland have something big on their eyes and that is the prospect of being presidents of Federal somalia and dont think they want to hang on being presidents of Berbera, burco and hargeisa. I believe once they have moved on the rest will realistically come along. Read this bro:

Bulshada Somaliland oo shirka Soomaalida ee Kenya u soo dirsanaya Salaadiin, Siyaasiyiin iyo xubno ka tirsan ururadda bulshada rayidka ah

Maalmaha soo socda ayaa la filayaa in ay madasha shirka dib u heshiisiinta Soomaalida ee Magaalada Nairobi soo gaaraan Salaadiin, Siyaasiyiin magac leh iyo xubno ka tirsan ururrada bulshada rayidka ah oo ka soo jeeda deegaanada Somaliland, sida aynu ka soo xiganay warar laga helay ilo lagu kalsoonaan karo.

Tifatiraha wargeyska Sanca Press Xasan Fanax oo ku sugan Magaaladda Nairobi ayaa u sheegay Hiiraan Online in ku dhowaad 100 ruux oo qeybahaasi ka tirsan loo diyaariyay dal-ku-galkii ay ku imaan lahaayeen Kenya, isla markaana badankood la soo qaadayo todobaadkan, inkastoo aaney IGAD si rasmi ah daboolka uga qaadin arinta ka soo qeybgalka bulshada Somaliland, balse waxaa la ogsoon yahay in uu weli maamulka Madaxweyne Daahir Riyaale Kaahin ee dhowaantan la doortay ay diidan yihiin ka qeybgalka shirkaasi, iyagoo taasina ku sababeeyay in shirku uu yahay mid aan iyaga quseynin.

Wararku waxay intaasi ku darayaan in martiqaadka loo fidiyay qabaa'ilka Somaliland iyo qeybaha bulshada ee deegaankaasi ay ka dambeysay culeys aad u xoog badan oo guddiga farsamadda ee IGAD lagu saaray in bulshada reer Samililand ay ka soo qeybgalaan shirka, maadama ay Soomaalidu wax ku qeybsaneyso qaab qabiil, islamarkaana ay xaq u leeyihiin in ay kaalintooda ka qaataan dhismaha dowladda cusub, kadibna ay dowladdaasi wada xaajood la furto maamulka haatan, haddii uu ku sii adkeysto diidmadiisa, iyadoo aan marna laga boodin mabaadii'da saldhiga u ahaa qabashada shirkan oo ay ku jirtay in la dhowro midnimadda Soomaaliya, taasoo ay isku raaceen beesha caalamka oo ay ku jiraan qabanqaabiyayaasha shirka.

Beelo aan ka qeybgelin doorashadii ka dhacday Somaliland iyo kuwo u doortay Mr. Riyaale inuu u janjeero dhinaca midnimadda marka lala barbardhigo musharixii la tartamayay ee xisbiga Kulmiye ayay wararku sheegayaan in ay iska soo xaadirin doonaan madasha shirka oo maalmaha soo socda fooda gelin doona wejigii seddexaad ee awood qeybsiga, iyagoo sidoo kalena la sheegayo in ay musharixiin ka socotaahi ka qeybgeli doonaan tartanka madaxweynenimada oo la saadaalinayo haddii ay sidaasi wax u dhacaan in ay guul weyn ka gaari doonaan marka la fiiriyo isu tanaasul la'aanta iyo khilaafka xooggan ee u dhaxeeya siyaasiyiinta ka soo jeeda koonfurta dalka Soomaaliya.

By: Salaad Iidow Xasan (Xiis) Hiiraan Online

saladxiis@yahoo.com

Mogadishu, Somalia

lol i like that banana republic phrase dinaax.

it's seems that a few old idiots have been paid by the southern savages to sit in the dofaarey conference.

listen to me. no repstectable somaliland citizens would even want to consider negotiation with those vultures and pigs.

Gabbal   

You seem to talk as if "Somaliland" was a real country. :D

There. There. Come down and talk sensibly for once. :rolleyes: