Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

PBS interview with Prof Ahmed Samatar concerning Ayrow killing.

STOIC   

I like how the professor was critical of the Ethiopian invasion of Somalia both on political and moral ground. Central to his argument was that no justification, however, could match in severity the invasion of Ethiopian under the USA proxy. The Ethiopian escalation of Somali misery would only fuel more resistant from the Somalis buoyed with hope that one day they will liberate their country from these invaders. The futility of man-hunting individuals would only radicalize the young Somalis on the street of Somalia cities. Somali nation will reel from the emotional Ethiopian occupation for a long time.

I don’t know much about Somali politics, but gathering from what I read it seems that the Ethiopian invasion will only achieve a marginal success in keeping the Warlord Abdullahi Yussuf for a short time in office. In retrospect the Somali war complexity and contradictions can be traced to one pre-eminent reality-supporting a puppet government in these roller-coaster sequence of Somali affairs. It is by no means clear that emphasis on bombing people in Somalia would signify Somalia departure from tyranny and anarchy. American and Ethiopian government can continue playing out the same scenario of suppressing the Somali voice, but the Somali people should be aware of the consequence of welcoming a century old enemies.

In todays world America is the world power player. Causes can only be advanced, and policies promoted when you have the support of the public. If America believes in its creed of supporting democracy to help prevent government that are cruel and vicious autocrat, how can they support a government that is not supported by it people? Al-shabab did not come from nowhere. America wants to spread democracy around the world, but how can they support leaders who have enormous temptation for power that only corrupts the whole essence of democracy? Was it Thomas Jefferson who once asserted that revolution about every generation would be a good thing-Maybe revolution for the whole of Somalia against tyranny is needed by its people-duh?.

Abtigiis   

Originally posted by STOIC:

I don’t know much about Somali politics, but gathering from what I read it seems that the Ethiopian invasion will only achieve a marginal success in keeping the Warlord Abdullahi Yussuf for a short time in office. In retrospect the Somali war complexity and contradictions can be traced to one pre-eminent reality-supporting a puppet government in these roller-coaster sequence of Somali affairs. It is by no means clear that emphasis on bombing people in Somalia would signify Somalia departure from tyranny and anarchy. American and Ethiopian government can continue playing out the same scenario of suppressing the Somali voice, but the Somali people should be aware of the consequence of welcoming a century old enemies.[/QB]

Spot on. Those who purport to know better, couldn't even summarize the whole thing as succintly and accurately as you did. If there are details you miss, it is the rotten inter and intra clan vendattas and vitriolic exchanges. Believe me you don't play second fiddle to anyone, with such analysis.