Che -Guevara

Grand Conference for reer Awdal in Ottawa

galbeedi   
9 hours ago, Illyria said:

Why not try the Garacad business model instead?

Garacad was possible because in Puntland the people are free to build ports, airports or any other business infrastructure. Biixi and company will not allow any competition to Berbera. Heck, they are even blocking small fishing port in Lughaya or small size ports for the locals to trade with Yemen and other local gulf ports for " Bagaash" . 

The DP World contract with the Habro will not allow a port anywhere west of Berbera for the next 25 years. You guys must understand that we have been blockaded for 30 years. Both Cumar Geelle and Habro had decided to keep our people in one town called Borama which is just an open jail. 

THey took over everything and nothing is left for us. They got the capital, the commercial capital, the ports, the trade routes and blockaded us to avoid any coemption. You can't be at the mercy of hungry clan who fears anyone else. You get to be free before you build and trade.

I know Abiy is talking about getting ports, but there has to be a mutual agreements, no one can annex Awdal or any part of the Somali Republic. Nothing is done in Jubbalnd without the permission of Kenya and their officials even talk publicly about annexing Kismaayo and the coastal area and I don't hear anyone complaining.

If Tigray, Somali Galbeed and others couldn't separate from Ethiopia why would Awdal join another nation? it is impossible. WE estimated the cost about $400 million including roads and there are even Ethiopian business men who are willing to have shares. This is a game changer for us.

Late president Cigaal told the little Djibouti gangster Cumar Geelle who was running the show before his uncle passed away to keep out of the affaires of trades of the region and even closed the border one time. After Cigaal , all we got was paid stooges. Rayaale has allowed free hand for Geelle and was given a Djibouti passport and settled in Paris. The hungry boys from east Burco were oligarchs interested only for cash, and finally we got the warlord owned and financed by the Geelle family.

The SSC had their Ha...t cousins for help, but we got Awdalites from Harowo toJigjiga, Diridhabe and Djibouti to set up the free Awdal Maamul with ports, trade routes and everything else. I know we came late to the throat cutting games of Somalia, but we better late than never.

Galbeedi,

Before getting into trade and political independence, how do reer Awdal attend to dislodge Hargeisa from their regions?  I mean having physical control over their land?

Illyria   
11 hours ago, galbeedi said:

I know Abiy is talking about getting ports, but there has to be a mutual agreements, no one can annex Awdal or any part of the Somali Republic.

I would be supportive of regions, and "beelaha" seeking own interest so long as "beelaha" are not being exploited, and the national interest is not being compromised. Our people, esp. most of the political and educated classes have shown they are naive, corrupt, and intellectually dishonest.

If Tigray, Somali Galbeed and others couldn't separate from Ethiopia why would Awdal join another nation? it is impossible.

Which another nation would they join? You mean Habasha? Do you mean, since S Galbeed could not be liberated from the clutches of Habasha, then rewarding them with Awdal should not be seen as a problem?

WE estimated the cost about $400 million including roads and there are even Ethiopian business men who are willing to have shares. This is a game changer for us.

Certain I am reer Awdal could generate 400 million privately with Somali business community able, and ready to invest, no?

Nothing is done in Jubbalnd without the permission of Kenya and their officials even talk publicly about annexing Kismaayo and the coastal area and I don't hear anyone complaining.

Opposition voices against Kikuya's intrusion, and interference in Juba's affairs is loud, but is being drowned by short-termism, and blinded by dubious rhetoric from empty suits, but that is not to say we [Somalis] are receptive, or accepting of it. And just 'cos a region violates and breaches national interest and sovereignty does not mean others ought to follow suit. We are down, but not out altogether.

Illyria   

Postscript:
I would advise reer Awdal to consult Wadaagsan company and team [ wadaagsan.so ] in borrowing the blueprint of the Garacad port and road project [ dekadagaracad.com ], for it is a native business model with a proven design pattern, which could easily be replicated elsewhere in Somalia. No need to be offering more Somali territories to foreign nations.

http://wadaagsan.so/

https://dekadagaracad.com/

What does Awdal mean by the way? Could it be "Aw Dal"?

• Thanks 1

galbeedi   

Illyria,

what a meant is international borders are sacrosanct , Ethiopia will not allow the freedom of Somaligalbred or others regions to be independent, how could they be allowed to take  a province of Somalia. We need to develop our ports and the only way to do it is  to dislodge Awdal from the Habro project. 

Garacad is a Somali owned project and we could do the same thing but that isn’t allowed under the DP World contract. Furthermore, we don’t want a big empty port without market. It is the basic theory of successful business, before you produce the product you should have a market and that is the goal.

We even found out that Ethiopia has proposed the Zaylac port shares before, but they rejected in order to monopolize trade .There is a blueprint the Habro had secretly written in 1990 in a place called Qaaxo which stipulates to control trade and keep the opposite clans poor so the might not have the resources to procure arms. 

Abiy could talk as much as he want , but at the end no one could take our land by force. It is the nature of the clans to not give an inch to the rival clan. The Chinese are  leasing and running ports around the world and this one will not be deferent. 

7 hours ago, Illyria said:

What does Awdal mean by the way? Could it be "Aw Dal"?

Father of the nation, loola jeedo taariikhda deegaankaas. Aw dal. Sida qabiilka Xasan Socdaan is called 'father of the camels.' Or Awkoombe is 'father of gaabnimada.'  Ab/aw waa isku micno, aw just more slightly has higher distinguish. Abtirsi waa sidaas oo kale.

• Like 1

Illyria   
6 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Illyria,

what a meant is international borders are sacrosanct , Ethiopia will not allow the freedom of Somaligalbred or others regions to be independent, how could they be allowed to take  a province of Somalia. We need to develop our ports and the only way to do it is  to dislodge Awdal from the Habro project. 

Agreed, we definitely must be thinking of infrastructure building, investments, and exploring ways of improving the lives of ordinary citizens in Awdal and farther afield.

Are you by any chance familiar with:
a) The Treaty Ports, particularly as it pertains to China and Japan?
b) The saga of Hambantota port in Sri Lanka?
c) The case of Macquarie group, China Ocean Shipping Co. "COSCO", and the ownership of Long Beach, the 2nd busiest port in the US?

Garacad is a Somali owned project and we could do the same thing but that isn’t allowed under the DP World contract. Furthermore, we don’t want a big empty port without market. It is the basic theory of successful business, before you produce the product you should have a market and that is the goal.

If you build it, they will come!

Abiy could talk as much as he want , but at the end no one could take our land by force. It is the nature of the clans to not give an inch to the rival clan.

Did you know, at the height of his empire, Haile Selassie made similar assertions, almost negotiated to take over Zaylac, but then in the nick of time, invaded Casab port, later taking over Eritrea? His plan was to take Xamar port next.

Illyria   
6 hours ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

Father of the nation, loola jeedo taariikhda deegaankaas. Aw dal. Sida qabiilka Xasan Socdaan is called 'father of the camels.'

Thank you. I suspected so, but was unfamiliar with the legacy and legend as it locally exists.

I recently learnt the word 'gaal' in af Maay means 'geel' as is the case in Maxaa tidhi, and to further corroborate, we say "Hadhuub gaal or Gaawe" at is more common amongst nomads in the North. So, the question remains: how did reer af Maay end up using the same word for the most precious commodity for nomads as the least favoured, if despised? Surely, before farming, they too were nomads?

6 hours ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

Or Awkoombe is 'father of gaabnimada.'

Hang on: "Koombe" means short? What about "Kuumade" ? What about "Kablalax" ? Nick names I never was able to get their original meaning.

8 hours ago, Illyria said:

Thank you. I suspected so, but was unfamiliar with the legacy and legend as it locally exists.

I recently learnt the word 'gaal' in af Maay means 'geel' as is the case in Maxaa tidhi, and to further corroborate, we say "Hadhuub gaal or Gaawe" at is more common amongst nomads in the North. So, the question remains: how did reer af Maay end up using the same word for the most precious commodity for nomads as the least favoured, if despised? Surely, before farming, they too were nomads?

Hang on: "Koombe" means short? What about "Kuumade" ? What about "Kablalax" ? Nick names I never was able to get their original meaning.

I am surprised inaadan ogeyn in Afmaay ka fac weynyahay Afmaxaaga.

Gaal waa ereyga saxda ah, geel gadaal ka yimid. All old words for camel gaal ayaa la dhihi jiray, sida Laasgaal Waqooyiga ku taal iyo qabaa'ilada magaca gaal wato.

Qabiilo badan ereyo Maay ah magacyadooda qabiiladooda ah, including qabiilka gobollada Bari, Nugaal, Sool iyo Sanaag wadaagaan. Waa erey Maay magacaas, lagana wado Nin Weyn.

Sidoo kale qabiilka ee kor magac wadaan Xasan Socdaal iyo Mahad Qalaaye qabiiladooda - erey Maay waaye, lagana wado Waaberi.

Dowladii Kacaanka markee ereyada magacbixinta ka weyn jirtay ereyo u dhigma oo Afmaxaa ah waxee ka raadin jirtay Afmaayga. Ereyga horseed tusaale ah. Seed Afmaay safka hore laga wada.

Reer Afmaxaa waxee dhahaan 'shirka waa lagu kala dareeray.' Dareer waa Afmaay oo socod loola jeedo.

Koombe in Awkoombe context means gaabni. Koombe koonfurta waxaa loogu yaqaanaa qasaca eberka ah oo gaaban, sida qasacyadii yaanyada shashiidka ku jiray oo warshadaha sameyn jiray. Waqooyi ama galbeedkanin wax kale loogu yaqaan laga yaabaa, hence the qabiil name.

And I am double surprised you don't know the most camels in Soomaaliya is found in Bakool. My own sub-clan that settle between Xuddur to Ceelbarde is called 'camel lovers.'

• Like 1

Illyria   
1 hour ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

I am surprised inaadan ogeyn in Afmaay ka fac weynyahay Afmaxaaga.

I had no idea, if anything I thought of af Maay more of a foreign language, as I can not understand a lick of it. Jokes aside, I thought af Maay was a diluted version of Somali mixed with Oromo and Habashi. One of these days, I'll share my encounter with people speaking af Maay for the first time.

Qabiilo badan ereyo Maay ah magacyadooda qabiiladooda ah, including qabiilka gobollada Bari, Nugaal, Sool iyo Sanaag wadaagaan. Waa erey Maay magacaas, lagana wado Nin Weyn.

So, H@rti means "Nin weyn", I knew that to mean "a man, or a strong man", which is the same. Is there an af Maay dictionary, I would be interested in finding out what nicknames "Kuumade" and "Kablalax" mean. As I have been exploring Somalia, I have been learning about the origin, and etymological root of the tribal names, cities, and regions. For example, Boorama, Garowe, Burco etc. I am yet to find our what "Ceerigaabo" means? It is a compound word of "Ceeri" and "Gaabo", but what was the original meaning?

Ereyga horseed tusaale ah. Seed Afmaay safka hore laga wada.

I did not know that, and shall add this to my vocabulary.

Reer Afmaxaa waxee dhahaan 'shirka waa lagu kala dareeray.' Dareer waa Afmaay oo socod loola jeedo.

"Dareer" is common in af Maxaa tidhi, and is used for "xoolaha" as in "xoolihii waa foofeen, ama dareereen".

And I am double surprised you don't know the most camels in Soomaaliya is found in Bakool. My own sub-clan that settle between Xuddur to Ceelbarde is called 'camel lovers.'

Actually, I knew there are more camels in Bay & Bakool after Hiiraan, which has the highest number, to my surprise.

7 hours ago, Illyria said:

I had no idea, if anything I thought of af Maay more of a foreign language, as I can not understand a lick of it. Jokes aside, I thought af Maay was a diluted version of Somali mixed with Oromo and Habashi. One of these days, I'll share my encounter with people speaking af Maay for the first time.

So, H@rti means "Nin weyn", I knew that to mean "a man, or a strong man", which is the same. Is there an af Maay dictionary, I would be interested in finding out what nicknames "Kuumade" and "Kablalax" mean. As I have been exploring Somalia, I have been learning about the origin, and etymological root of the tribal names, cities, and regions. For example, Boorama, Garowe, Burco etc. I am yet to find our what "Ceerigaabo" means? It is a compound word of "Ceeri" and "Gaabo", but what was the original meaning?

Actually, I knew there are more camels in Bay & Bakool after Hiiraan, which has the highest number, to my surprise.

Afmaayga, Afsoomaali ahaan, aad ugu dheereeyaa Afmaxaaga for keeping the original Soomaali words. Afmaxaa were corrupted by too many loaned Carabi, Talyaani iyo Ingiriis words. Afmaay was saved by being an interior language.

For example, Afmaxaa waaka dhumay a word for 'friend.' Saaxiib la soo boodaan. In Afmaay it is widaay. Old gabyaa or saar use this word, sida Careys Ciise Kaarshe, who as a native of Jubbooyinka, was very familiar with Afmaay. His saar poetry has many Afmaay words, hence being too rich saar.

Ceerigaabo means Ciryaamo gaaban. Deegaankaas u dhow buuraha Calmadoow aad ciryaamada hoos u timaadaa. I actually believe Calmadoow is one of the best touristy regions of Soomaaliya, laakiin sadly lagama faa'ideysto.

If a word has 'x' or 'c,' Afmaay kama imaan, marka Kablalax waa iska kab iyo lalax.

Meantime, enjoy this thread from 12 years ago.

• Like 1