Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Saudi has 'appalling image', Cherie tells ambassador

N.O.R.F   

By Marie Woolf, Chief Political Correspondent

17 December 2003

Cherie Blair has risked offending one of Britain's closest allies in the Middle East by highlighting the "appalling image" of Saudi Arabia and saying it is seen as treating women not as equals but "some sort of other".

The Prime Minister's wife, speaking at an event to promote Muslim women in public life, made her remarks in front of the Saudi ambassador to Britain, Prince Turki al-Faisal. She made a plea to change the "perception of Islam being backward-looking, oppressive - somehow not as good as Western Christianity".

Mrs Blair, who is a practising Catholic, also risked offending members of her own faith by saying: "Some of you know my own religion has not always been in the forefront of women's rights, and indeed still isn't sadly."

Mrs Blair highlighted Saudi Arabia's reputation for gender discrimination, straight after a speech from the kingdom's ambassador.

Addressing him directly, she said: "I am so delighted that His Royal Highness came from Saudi Arabia because as I said to your wife when I met her Sir, I said that Saudi Arabia's image in the world is appalling and we need to do something about that, we need to help you do something about that. Part of the reason it's appalling is that perception that you treat your women like they are not equals but some sort of 'other'." She added: "And I know that that is not in fact the reality. You have many strong women."

The ambassador said he was not affronted "at all" by her remarks. Yet she amazed many Muslims attending the dinner on Monday evening in the House of Lords.

Mrs Blair was reflecting the official view of the Foreign Office, which in its most recent human rights report expressed "deep concerns about Saudi Arabia's failure to implement basic human rights norms," including rights for women.