Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

What will get Somalia back on its feet?

What Somalia needs is not a politician's solution, but an intervention by elders. This happened in Somaliland. The elders there said "enough is enough" in one voice. The people of Mogadishu need time and space, no one likes to stay without governance, people need institutions.

Warsame Yusuf Mohamed, Sydney/Australia

Peace means compromise. Somalis should come together and support their new leader, while reflecting on the rigours they have gone through. They should borrow a leaf from Liberia and Sierra Leone.

Freetown, Sierra Leone

The nascent government will be able to go back home and rebuild the country if the Mogadishu warlords voluntarily disarm their militias, hand over their weapons and the warlords should not hold any portfolio because they are not trustworthy.

Makhtal, Minneapolis, USA

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Well i think for one the polition/warlords :rolleyes: if they can read and write, or if they have P.A's should try to examing and mirror whatever success stories that have came out of somaliland, then look at how liberia and serria leone are functioning now. The issue of disarming the people, involvement of elders, listening to stakeholders such as local business men, the most vulnerable in society i.e. women and children.

Oh almost forgot, the abandonment of tribalism, personal rivalaries, the establishment of fully functioning police forces that are trained in equality and diversity ( and are paid on time), and independant survey group to observer activites on the ground.

And many many more actions before somalia gets bk on its feet.

will all the above happen?

salams

N.O.R.F   

will all the above happen?

Inshallah it will

the abandonment of tribalism, personal rivalaries, the establishment of fully functioning police forces that are trained in equality and diversity ( and are paid on time), and independant survey group to observer activites on the ground.

True,,,,,,, they must get paid on time :D

Intel   

^^ loool

Somalia is one of the best countries in the world and our history will prove this. I know we can be where we were before and better if we support and hold acountable to the new government without thinking of what clan they come from and other trivial issues.

Liban Adam

ahh Fariid :D

Gediid   

Since the warlords are now MPs they should bring together their personal armies and build one national army. This will save time because instead of AU and other international bodies sending in peacekeeping troops to disarm the militias they will use the money to rebuild the nation. The administration should return home as legislators and rule their country by law not guns.

Kisanya Vincent, Nairobi, Kenya

Now imagine that happening.

I have my own question to ask people in here.Abdillahi Yusuf has now been elected President of Somalia but one question I want people to answer for me is since his election the people surrounding him are still all from his tribe.I personally know some of his closest "advisors" mostly hired after his election including a dude who worked in a hotel in DC.Now my question is since he's been elected President of a whole nation why not bring other people from other clans onboard as your advisors even if its only a token measure to appease them and look sincere in his quest to unify Somalia.......?

Liqaye   

Beyond somalis and this boards infatuation with Abdullahi Yusuf, I think that the article had a clear point to make.

Namely after such a skewered process as the one that has made genocidiares and criminals in to presidents and MP's somalis sould not expect much from this goverment whomever might have been elected to lead it.