Sign in to follow this  
finestsista2005

Calling all the brothers and sisters.....what do u do when teacher abuses his power?

****^^^^****please no bad comments...only helpful comments....thanx alot!

This happened about two weeks ago. My teacher always gives a inclass quizes, we don't take it seriouse because it's not worth much mark...like 2% or even 1%. Some people don't even bother righting it. I was not prepared that they, and was confused about the materials. Mainly because i didn't understand what he was teaching, so as atleast honestly 65% of the students who think it's true. So that day , he happen to give us an inclass quiz, it was open book, you can hear some kids micking the answers to each other or looking each others sheets. I was stuck,some guy who was setting to my right, tapped my hand to tell me to look at his answers. I wrote just his answers and some of the consupts down to my page. I honestly only wanted to try to understand how he get it and the path but did not want to cheat. Beside it was a little questions teacher gives to us, as he puts it like " it's not a test, it's for me to know how well your grasping the material". Let me remind you again, it's not the kind quiz you know your having and prepare for, this is kinda one you get to see your understanding. Bad part, his inclass question quiz he was writing was different then mine...only the numbers. I ended up having exatly same answers as his. The teacher didn't even discuss with me, he just told me to see the dean.

I went to see the dean on friday, i explained to her that i wasn't aware that it was a test, the teacher didn't say it was a test but a question to see how you understand the materials and that it wasn't about the grade. She said i would get an F grade on the quiz. I didn' mind but pretended i did. She checked my records found found that i had good grade. She just told me to never be in this situation again and avoid at all cost. I told her okay. I let out i got really angry and i told her if the teacher had problem with my quiz, how come he couldn't tell me himself, like he does with the other kids. I told how come he didn't talk to the other guy, when he said he exactly knowes who it is. I told her alot of minority kids are complaing about his teaching that he is singling them out.

To make the story short I guess, she told him what I said, because i got a heck a shock on monday. -----read the below.

Imagine you studied really hard on a midterm. You studied saturday and sunday from sun up to sun down. You went over the questions over and over till you grasped the material in your head.

Then you come to school on, walked to class. But the class door was locked. You knocked, teacher opens and asks you to go see the acadamic services. Nerves you go there, the dean lady let's you in her office, informs you she was wrong about giving you an F on the inclass quizz but you get an F in that class.

-----Do you guys think it's fair to get an F on a course because little mistake you did in a 2% quiz ....it's not a serious offence.

My school's student procedure guid says...for first time offence,,,,,,u should recieve a worning,,,,the second time,,,,get F on the assignment or and third time......Fail on course.

*****What should i do? I am here....shocked ..hopeles.....

I want to write an appeal based on what i provided...could you guys help me write a letter....

stating what i said....

love and peace....

----------I am going to write the school an appeal letter.

Macalin   

From,what i gather, you cheated on a silly quiz

Although i dont agree with how he singled you out,sister you have to understand that u also cheated!

And cheating under any circumstances shoud be condoned.

Good luck with ur exams..study hard and always be HONEST...honesty is the best policy

Write a letter to the head of department or Board or however failed you (besides da teacher). Explain your situation and take responsibility for your actions. Ask them to review your record and sympathise with you. If u can quote where it sayz in the school rules that an offense of this kind first warrants a warning and only the second time a fail, it should help. U dont need to state the teacher is being a racist as this will seem like a pitiful excuse from your part.

You dont need any1's help to write the letter as you're the only one who knows your situation, but make your friends read it before you submit to check 4 spellin n grammatical errors.

Personally, I've had a similar unfortunate incident happen to me a few weeks ago. I was accused of plagiarism (serious offence) when some ***** stole ma coursework n copied huge unforgivable portions of it. I wrote to the board and submitted all ma evidence (review papers, letter to confirm ma submission date). Luckily he confessed n sent me an apology letter. I was cleared and got ma grades. He failed :D

Things like this can really dishearten you...so take it easy and dont panic. Remember to say that you'd be willing to pursue the matter to the furthest and show ur determined.

G'luck

*******here is my letter of appeal******

[could you guys please tell me if it's good, and if i need to change it little. Please....]

To whom it my concern,

On Monday 2, 2003, my class had been given in class open question to be completed. This questions as I remember from previous were helping each other and looking each others answers. On this day, the teacher announces the last quarter of the class there is pop up quiz and we can use our books to help us. Well, I attempted the questions, but was confused on what the teacher was asking. So, my neighbor put me on the right track by helping me see his answers. I did try to do the questions too, but I was working with his numbers which was different from my numbers. So the two answers turn out to be same. He had different in class quiz which I wasn’t aware. But other than helping me be at the right track for the first question, I worked my way with the other questions. I honestly was not aware that I was committing a dishonest offence. It was little open book questions and it was not worth more than 10 marks. The teacher normally said these little in class questions where “for you to evaluate on how well you’re doing and to know if you need to work on some more”. Teacher also said he was not interested on mark but if you knew the steps.

Next Monday February 9, the teacher tells me to see Faze, chair of business. I met with Faze on Friday 13, I explained to her the situation. She told me it was dishonestly, but because I was first offence, that I would be graded F for my in class quiz. As I told her that not aware of precaution because my attention was to try understand as I worked my way through the questions and not copy. Faze; told me never be in this situation again. I promised I would not and still keep promise. She also told me I would talk to Pat Morgan, to see the offence, but what she believed that it was only F on quiz.

On Monday, February 16, the day of my midterm, I was studying for three days. I studied so hard for 12 hour straight. I came to class to write the midterm, but the door was locked. The teacher opened, and told me to see Faze again. I went to see Faze; she informed me that after talking to the teacher that I was getting a failing grade on the course. I believe that the penalty I got is not appropriate for offence. I believe it is not fair that it is too extreme to get a failing grade on whole course over mistake I was not aware was big offence, considering other kids were looking over each other answers. I have obtained an average of 75% in my second year and have been good student through all my study time at *******. I believe ********to be fair and justice place and I hoping you will see that this penalty is little too extreme for my offence. I apologies and I am aware of it know. I promise to be careful and keep my integrity always.

Respectfully,

Qac Qaac   

this will always happen to us. us students, somali students because we have no strong community that will back us up, from the dean or the professor. coz our communities is from this tribe and that tribe, until we leave in this situation we'll always be abused.

sister i know, all the white kids cheat too, oh my i think, they cheat the most, even the chinese ppl, but there is a stereotype against black ppl, they just can't see u successful, maybe they just wanna ruin your record since u already said, u r a good student who knows. but my pt is we always gonna be abused coz we have no back up from our communities. so we ought to stay infront of our communities and tell them what is happen to us, even the police abuse us now adays. no one is helping the somali ppl period. whether they are students or civilians.

p.s. the best thing u could do is, just the do the course in summer again. since u have A on it anyways. but fight them, don't let them relax.. bye.

lol   

FirstLAdy: If there are minority students who felt that in his class, he was singling them out, then I say take the matter to the Multicultural Affairs office. Or the Black Students Association, hopping that you got one in your school. Sister it is war. Never let a professor treat you like dat. You cheated yes, you were wrong yes, but to an extend you get F for the class now that is exxagerattion. So head for those of your color. And surely there is soemthing they can do... Good luck!

Thanks guys, I have done the apeal letter yesterday. It is better the one i posted here. My friend who got his lawyer degree helped me. It sounds pretty good, I heard after I send the letter the dean and the head of my program will meet me. I will insha allah let them know that there are other kids who felt that way too. I don't know if they'll come with me to show there face cuz.......he is very hard teacher and they be afraid of failing the course. We don't have black association......it's CADDAAN school.

thanx for your support....i will update you guys. Pray for me please!

hey sweety we all make mistakes and it is important that we learn from them. I guess you learned the hard way. But dont sweat! The thing that I would do is first appeal for your grade and outline the rules of the school for the deen in your argument. Secondly you need to teach this teacher a little lesson. Get all the students to sign a petition. People who are signing this petition should have experienced the teacher's bad conduct and should also be ready to stand up for themselves. By working together your united voices should be able to make a difference. Some other students that should also sign the petition should also be people who have witnessed the behaviour but it was not directed at them, this will strengthen your argument. For example get that kid that was showing you the answers, now no one who thought that they were in an exam situation would ask another to copy their answers. That's all I have to say. Bye

and Insha Allah you will succeed in your mission. And please do not cheat again! It is xaram after all.

first lady...abaayo I don't want to be harsh, but those who cheat deserved to be failed, I understand that it wasn't an exam but still what you did was wrong. soomaalida badankood, markeey wax ku dhacaan....they believe they are being discriminated. First lady...perhaps its the school policy (people who cheat should fail), sis dont look for excuses for what you did...just tell them you are sorry and it wont happen again....but dont BOTHER explaining to them u feel like u are being discriminated because of your colour. they have a case against you, you ain't got nothing on them.

think wisely...swallow your pride and apologise..at the end of the day adi un beey faa'ido kuugu jirtaa hadaad wax baraneesit si daacad eh.

PS, i know my reply is diffrent than others but dont take it to the heart...we all need some1 to remind us the other side.

N.O.R.F   

1- U should not have even bothered cheating if u didnt care about the exam

2-U shud not have revealed your feelings towards the teacher and how hes racist towards the ethnic kids.

:mad: :mad: - mad at u just for puttin yrself in this position, shud not have happened period, learn from it, keep yr thoughts to yrself at least until u graduate, then say what u want.

Now, get a copy of the school's rules and regulations, read it thoroughly, go and see the student support ppl, get some advice and guidance on what forms u need to fill out in order to appeal against the decision. DO NOT SENT THE LETTER, not yet anyway untill you know the full picture. Its obvious this guy dont like you and has it in for you, so u need get out yr bud iyo fash to defend yr self against this fool. Good luck, ia all will be well, ameen!

Sticky situation.

I agree with the nomads who say you shouldn't have put urself in that situation, under any circumstances!

However, now that its happened, you can't have somthing like that on your record. Its not good. I would advice you to talk to your teacher plus all the ppl above him and you better grovel! Pointing the finger at your tutor wont help your case. I would really advice you to swallow your pride and talk to him. Cry if you have to. Just make sure they dont fail you for the whole course.

Good luck and let us know the final decision I'A.

It was a bad day, i admit my mistake....aiight.

It wasn't anything like the quiz teachers give...this was like excercise quiz.

anyway, yes i made mistake, yes i should get a 0 for the quiz....no I should get a 0 on the course.

sofine   

it is a hard situation to be in....but i would advice....a friend of mine was in this kinda of situation and what happened to her was unfair..

she got an F because the teacher didn't like her but really she passed the course...so she took the all her exams to the co-or and he review it and turns out that she passed the course...to me that was wrongrul act and she could have took this case to extreme...but didn't and it was good that she didn't...because you have to understand that...teachers are united... believe it or not...if you unwrong one of them...you are asking it for it...meaning the teacher will talk and they'll believe him over you...and you don't want these teachers to team up to fail you every other class...this didn't happened only once but several times in toronto area...(especially in university)...just forget it about it and take the course with some other teacher before you ruined you're reputation with the other factualty...that is my 2 cents take it or leave it....i'm just telling you what i saw with my 2 eyez...........peace

Qac Qaac   

yeah yeah we shouldn't be cheating, everybody knows, muslim or non muslim, but in university everyone cheats, that is a fact, and to make this sister suffer because of one quiz to me is really wrong go after him, make sure he has bad time, don't let him relax.

but don't just sit there, and say it was my fault, because he would some other somali person to the same thing, so fight him now, and he will know not to bother who ever that next somali student, or black for this matter be.

why cheat...

why got to multicultural office or something ..she cheated she got punished ..lets be honest in here..sorry for what happened sis but cheating is xaraam