Sign in to follow this  
Medley of extemporanea

The New African Union

On July 9th 2002, the Organization of African Unity will officially end, and a new organization the African Union will replace it. The goals of this organization will, hopefully, put in place an apparatus for economic and political unity and cooperation in Africa.

As we all know Africa is big continent and not all the nations of Africa are economically and militarily/politically equal. Somalia is among one of the weakest at this time. Taking this into account, what are your opinions of how the AU will affect Africa and do you think it will even make any difference? What about Somali, do you believe that this new organization will have any effect on Somalia’s future?

mojam   

As long as the system is based on European ideas, I will not support it!

I do not have anything against Europeans but I believe in African solutions for African problems. For instance, the OAU had an article that said that all borders in Africa must be left as they were left by the colonists. Well not in the exact words but that is what it implies, but aren't the borders what are causing the most deadliest wars in the continent?

Besides this new organization is the same as the OAU, only thing changed is the names of the articles.

Another reason why this organization is bound to

fail is that it relies too much on the West for support. One of the reasons it is created is to beg for foreign aid. i mean come on.

Ariadne   

The organization for african unity was a bunch of dictators that were too cowardly to deal with their own people so if any civilian came too close to whatever magnificent palace they were living in (the leader)they would get shot (while the country GDP and national income would be way to low to support such a monumet they would put the country in a huge debt) ...a bit extreme... very!.

Also the biggiest rule in that was that no african nation should interfere with what another nation was doing within its own borders but ironically they supposedly promoted african unity through brotherhood. All it was were a bunch of coward dictators that were rotting in debauchery and looking for hand downs from the europeans and I personally don't think the new one is going to be any different.Hope I offended nobody just my opinion so please I don't want my head bitten off ;)

Macalin   

with corruption..dictatorship..clanism and civil war...this Union is just gonna be like the OAU..but i wish them the best.,.

what africa needs is a economic solutions.

poltical solutions.

democratization.

privatisation.

and liberation of civil liberties,,

peace and long live AFRIKA

ladane   

I hope that it will be differen from the previous one but I am more pessimistic than optimistic. We all know the background of most African leaders and that they are not there with the will of their citizens. Furthermore, most of those leaders are yes-men to their former colonial masters and have to obey whatever cost otherwise they are out of the space. untill Africa gets patriotic leaders things will not change

Hanif i can only hope that an african union will be good for somalia in priniciple a union on such a scale, assuming that africa will eventual come to be in a relatively stable position will look or should look to help african countries, i dont think somalia will be treated differntly to any other or rather i hope it wouldnt be.

Dantay1   

Africa does not need Ghadafi or Mbeki or this rhetoric of the African Union, it needs actions to fight the mounting problems of the continent.

Somali's need to move away from this union because who are we to join a union of Africa when we have no union of the Somali.

Somalia first then Africa and the Arabs second, we sort our house out, then we can join, influance, develop a new Africa.

Thats my point, No Egad, OAU, Arab league or any club created for the sake of......... We need REAL Political decesions made....Not an oil despots daydreams

DANTAY