Sign in to follow this  
Coloow

Am I paranoid? A grumpy old chap

Coloow   

Ladies and gentlemen,

Lately I have been doing some real thinking; Somali (a)- once a revered concept in my neck of the world- is in shambles. The nation which once evolved after divisions by white and black colonial masters (and which was a school book example of homogeneous dynamics) has disintegrated. There are differing opinions when it demised but I strongly feel that it started in the seventies – and the eighties when Siyad Barre and his thugs directed the armed unites against our own kin. The nineties saw the evolution of warlordism and conflict entrepreneurship; the 2000 brought the pigs to power. Every Somali has been affected by the wrath of brother-against-brother.

The causes of the Somali problem are many; poverty, transition from nomadic way of life to urban governance; political indoctrination (every Somali appears to have a PhD in politics- sc Fadhi-ku-dirir), the absence of institutions, tribalism, the inertia of religious scholars (if there are some worthy the title), foreign interventions, justice for the dead (my favourite).

Finding a solution for our problems is a mammoth task; the optimist would say Ilaahey wax waliba waa awoodaa. True says the pessimist laakin ilaahey waan ku caasinay.

I must admit that raw tribalism as practised by most of the Somalis is alien to me and many of the people who I grew up with. I have never been raised to know what tribe I am from. From our horizon (that of living under colonialism) we were brought up as equal brothers and sisters whose task was to help our society.

I have had the opportunity to live/work with Somalis from Somalia. I have also worked with other communities (some from the developing world, and some from relatively affluent western societies). I have witnessed the lack of brain power from Somalis. A Somali from Somalia is quick to take to the first queue in the mosque (recite the Koran), speaks of somaliweyn, somalinimo and other abstracts; but is a dynamic creature whose views are coloured by an allegiance to the tribe. One of my best friends was studying for a graduate degree- and in my opinion a religious guy illustrates this point. This guy was my favourite to become a Somali leader. He was against Ethiopia, the warlords, the killings of innocent Somali women and children in the north. He always blamed tribalism for the Somali case. When the TFG came to power, my friend was a chameleon. Just before the warlord-led Doofaareey conference was about to choice the quisling to lead them- my friend was a vocal opponent; Once, a president was elected, the dude changed his demeanour; he was on every fadhi-ku-dirir gathering (he avoided them and branded them as being anti-islam before the TFG), he was talking about a new dawn. He started wearing tie, and was urging me to support them too! He started calling the IUC (which he supported and I shunned) a tribal gathering!

For many of my brethren in my town this dude was the authority on islam. He was the person to come to if you had misgivings about anything- and you wanted a religious opinion. The last few months my friend was on the move; he went to some parts of Somalia; he is rumoured to be an ambassador or advisor to the economic ministry!

On a related development, I have travelled a lot; The Somali diaspora ( I have been to 11 big cities where Somalis live) is at the lowest strata of immigrant statistics; vices, welfare abuses, school drop outs, lack how to interact with humanity, armchair nacnacs etc.

What is happening to Somalis is the Armageddon. We have only ourselves to blame!

I sought refuge on SOL where experience taught me provided hope. For the six years I was a member, phrases, words, sentences, newsreels that contained tribal connotations were censored. This was a paradise for Somalis tired of Daynile.com, Allpuntland, somalilandpost etc. The owners’s policy was anything does not go; I once told a friend of mine that SOL was the place to log on for getting ideas. It was the domain to identify yourself with if you were asked which sites you visited.

The doofaarey conference changed the place and hell broke; It became the mouthpiece for the TFG. Notions that were not tolerated before (such as tribal connotations) became the norm in several threads. It was ok; it appeared to call the IUC for representing one tribe- while the censors were ready if someone said the president comes from tribe X. On Somaliland issues you see people who were hibernating coming out. Introduce a topic on Somaliland and I can assure you tens of replies hurling abuses, calling for war etc.

The onslaught of the Habashi in Muqdisho brought forth a new breed of Somali internet users; the so-called neutrals; seemingly educated Somalis whose ideas and wisdoms were a read were silent when women and children were massacred. Silence is a crime!

How the hell can I share a nation with the dogs of war that celebrate when my Somali brethren is killed?

All of a sudden I am alone; a lonely grumpy old chap whose world is collapsing; abandon long held conviction of somaliweyn shouts an inner voice! Never give up says another.

There is no somalinimo. It is dead.

It has been killed by those who can write pseudo-religious scholars and the Internet websites. It was killed by Afweyne, the countless warlords, and now by SOL!

GALABTAy ALLOW KUU GARGAAR; GARABKAAGA ILAAHEY HA GALE!

Maybe I am paranoid! Quraan ha la I saaro!

So long

NGONGE   

I must admit that raw tribalism as practised by most of the Somalis is alien to me and many of the people who I grew up with. I have never been raised to know what tribe I am from. From our horizon (that of living under colonialism) we were brought up as equal brothers and sisters whose task was to help our society.

Every Somali claims to have not been brought up knowing their own tribes! You all act as if this is some sort of badge of honour to distinguish you from the mob! The problem is that there is no proof for your lack of clannish tendencies. Since everyone makes the same claim as you, the chances of anyone believing you (or them for that matter) are very slim.

For the double whammy, let me tell you that I too have not grown up in a place where Somalis or their clan divisions were visibly present. But today I know what clan I am from and have an idea what clans most of those around me belong to. I sometimes, depending on my mood and incidents, circumstances or events find myself irrationally bad mouthing one clan or another. Now, if I, with my immense wisdom, better upbringing (I went to nursery at two, did you?) and established disconnection from the motherland can fall into such pits, how in the world do you expect me to believe you don't? :D

You're neither grumpy nor paranoid. Like all other Somalis (including myself, but only to a certain extent) you are

C O N F U S E D!

Coloow   

Ngonge,

Oh yeah, I was introduced to belonging to X-tribe when i became an adult and sought my roots (not the tribal one) in Somalia. To be honest, it was then that I realised the whole thing was a fake. It was like "St Clause". I disowned them (that was the bravest thing I ever did), chided them and in recent days decapitate them intellectually.

It is only (sijuis) who are brave enough to disown their "tribes".Walendos on the other hand (and I assume this is your point), never disown their tribe- but theý make the bold claim of not using it.

Surely there is a difference in believing and using- don't ya think?

I don't think I am confused; I am just an angry bugger.

Check this .. we are many

http://www.hiiraan.com/op2/2007/dec/are_you_a_mercenary_or_a_patriot.aspx

NGONGE   

^^ A good article and noble message, alas it is written in the wrong language and directed at the wrong crowd. I believe the tribal tendencies of the Diaspora Somalis to be, at best, superficial and at worst, groundless.

For those back home though, I fully understand why they would choose to ally themselves to their respective clans. I don't condemn their choices nor belittle them with any intellectual disdain. They make the only correct (under the circumstances) and logical choices open to them.

Look at a place like Laas Canood! The people there (the ones associated with Puntland) consider the situation of the city to be a threat to their homes and livelihoods. They worry that the Somaliland administration aims to oppress and subjugate them. They believe that if they submitted and accepted the jurisdiction of Somaliland over them they will be treated like second-class citizens and will lose all rights free men have! It may be argued that this is simple paranoia and, equally, it may also be argued that this is true. However, none of that matters here. What matters is that the thought have crossed the people's minds and they've realised (as they've known all along) that their only salvation is to seek refuge in the eternal clan shelter. Many despairing voices mumble at the eventual break up of Somalia such actions may lead to, yet, to the layman taking part in such action, this is the most obvious demonstration of unity he/she can imagine! Who is right and who is wrong?

Likewise, many in the capital, despite their own faults and part in destroying that city, also stick to the clannish sanctuary and blame Puntland for all the ills of Somalia! Many on this site, if allowed to utter such accusations openly and without censor, would happily regale you with stories of why they believe so and how the clans of Puntland are the source of all evil! Will they be wrong for doing so? I suppose that on the face of it one can say maybe, but if you strip away morality, rationality and logic you'll only be left with FEAR and it is that fear that drives people into their clan's bosom.

You believe in your clan but don't use it. The real acid test however is your reaction when you're confronted with that FEAR (which is very unlikely since you don't currently reside in Somalia).

Still, to cut a long story short, I don't believe clans or those that follow them are the problem. The real problem is that which forces people to run back to their clans at the first sign of danger.

As for the change in SOL; xaaji, pay no attention to our simple quibbles. It is only words to pass the time. Jacalybaro's articles about Somaliland will not be the catalyst for that country to regain its recognition. Nur's endless support for the ICU will not give them power again. Duke's cheerleading for the TFG will not smooth out their problem and Kashafa's angry words will not be read by or give encouragement to the resistance. All this does is remind you of the different voices in Somali society and the positions they take. It is healthy and helps to open your eyes to the crisis at hand, lest you live in dreamland and believe that Somalia is still as beautiful as it was in the seventies or eighties.

Chin up, old boy. As the Arab poet once said:

ولرب ضائقة يضيق بها الفتى

ذرعا وعند الله منها المخرج

ضاقت فلما استحكمت حلقاتها

فرجت وكنت أظنها لا تفرج

(An approximate translation.)

Many predicaments make the lad despair

When the solution is with god.

It stiffened, and when its rings got tighter

It suddenly loosened while I thought it never would!

Coloow   

Jamaalow, waa runtaa.

Ngoge

"You believe in your clan but don't use it. "

Read again saaxib. I don't blv in that c-rap. Blv you me.

I am sincere.

I don't think it has to do with fear. It has to do with power.

I don't see how constant clanish rants is a healthy thing!!!!!! There is no improvement, no progress, no learning- just statuo quo.

If anything the constant rants is a harzard to our health.

if i see someone who is from the same sub-clan as me, i jump to kiss them on the cheek. i'm shamelessly tribalistic when it comes to seeing relatives, greeting them better than others. i am sure i would bad-mouth any clan if i actually knew something about it. but tbh i'm simply way too apathetic to want to find out about somali history or clans, i find it all so dull. i swear by God i do not know what tribe the president was, someone might've mentioned it before but right now i have no idea. there are very few things in this world i care about, and the tribal history of somalis is not one of those things. i am not one with nationalism. quite the contrary. i believe nationalism is evil and was created by the devil to make gaps between muslims.

so i believe in egoism! :D

Som@li   

Odey,what would you do if you hear that your relatives back home are under threat,and being terrorised by some group? If they ask you for money to buy guns to defend themselves, would you send it! unlike those who grew in the west, many Somalis abroad are so attached to back home and follow the day-to-day activies there!( so you will find group of tribes trying to get bigger share of the pie, and always willing to get more, regardles of how they do it, it is like animal instint, survival of the fittest)

I see the main problem as mistrust between Somalis, Somalis would rather trust a foreign pple,(like some do now), than trust their own Somali people, and it is cycle of hatred, which i doubt will go easy for sometime.

Coloow   

Dabshidow, Waan ku fahamay- but falling for tribal temptations (like the qaaraan) is what is killing our people. I have relatives (close) who were killed in the conflict in somalia; Can I bring them back? no. I have also had qaraabo qurac approach me and ask me for qaaraan; but I told them straight that I don't belong to their clan; I told them it is a lie that we are from the same geed qansax; and after calling me all kinds of names, they accepted.

I don't think it is a survival of the fittest- it is rather the survival of the brainless.

What bothers me is not how people back in somalia react (they are rational and would do anytthing to survive). It is how somalis in the diaspora (many of them educated) react. It seems that we are not progressing. It seems that our eduated folks, our muslim scholars are not adressing the real causes of our problems.

Read what Ngonge wrote above. Most of the people of Las Anod don't care if they live under an adminstration called puntland, somaliland or Somalia. They need peace; and ****** somalis ask who first before they come to how and what!Afterall many of us live in other countries than ours.

The conflict in somalia is a silly thing. Imagine klling for a small stretch of an arid land. It does not make any sense. If we don't speak out who will do?

What we need is a coalition of people who question the god somalis worship; Tribalism. We have to get to its fabric. It is not based on science (Ngone might say it is based on common sense), religion or anything. It is a primitive mode of governance that might work on nomads(no disrespect to my heritage- but today many somalis lead some form of urban lifestyles.

Why should someone who lives in London for 12 years, who hardly saw the conflict in somalia, who went to a university support this disease, worship this god of doom? Afterall, many of us are doomed to end up in graves in western metropols!

Even if peace prevails in Somalia, (leaving the fadhi ku dirir talk of going back aside), many of us would never go back to live in that country. Of all those approximately 200 people I have known for 17 years, only 2 moved back. The rest are living a dream- telling their children of a nation that exist in their fantacies.

Come on bro, somalis defy any logic one might associate with leading a life. We are parasites who love talking the talk´; and there is where tribalism comes in; it gets us going; it gives us a sense of belonging; it gives us some of sense of elusive power.

We have to kill this god that brought us havoc.

Som@li   

Thanks bro, I clearly understand what you and NG wrote, I wish Somalis had the same thinking as you.

First I never supported a group who were not fighting against oppression, I gave you the above scenario as example to show you why many Somalis are involved in conflicts, and as an example why the Somalis abroad support with money,, as the case of Laas Anod, when Somaliland moves in, certain group may benefit, and the same happens When Puntland captures the town, the other group then fights for and creates problems to get part of the pie, a share of the limited resources, and so on.

Bro, what is irrational in the world is rational in Somalia, Somalia now is the land of the beast, and if you are not armed, you will be stepped on.

I will give you another example, in this case, I will choose SOMALI tribes like Benadiris, Baantus, Arabs etc, who chose not to arm themselves, and did you know what happened to them, how they are treated? They are killed, raped, their properties robbed indiscriminately cus they WERE NOT armed. That is why I said earlier, it is the land of, the survival of the fittest.

And Finally, I am happy that you don’t pay the Qaraan,(I never paid one too), which indirectly kills some innocent Somalis, but I was trying to show you why others pay? Back in school, I used to remember this phrase, Understanding the question, the problem, is half the answer, solution.

Coloow   

Dabshidow,

I agree 100%. But what is the solution? We are already the laughing stocks of communities in the west; viewed as a people not ripe enough to agree, live in peace and not fit to rule and ruled. That hurts isn't it?

In my opinion there is something wrong with the god we worship (qabiil). We should castrate him; at least those of us who live outside somalia and who have an ounce of intellectual thinking should fight him.

We have to question the foundations of the somali tribal tree.

"All the talk about tolerance, in anything or anywhere, is plainly a gentle lie. It does not exist. It is in no man's heart; but it unconsciously, and by moss-grown inherited habit, drivels and slobbers from all men's lips."