Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Somali Astrology

Chimera   

awr1.gif

Somalis, particularly those who still follow the traditional nomadic life, have a profound interest in, and knowledge of the weather, the stars and planets, and their penetrating effects upon the lives of this people. This is reflected in the language itself, which contains a large number of sayings, riddles and songs which link astronomical phenomena to events in nomadic life with which they are associated. I was myself a camel herder when I was a boy, and I recall many of these sayings and songs. They have always interested me, and during my life I have collected very many more.

There are for example phrases, in the language (especially, those in replying to a greeting) that closely associate the weather and the well being of my people: such as the Dabayl Caafimmad, the breeze of health and tranquility. Nabaad iyo naq-roobaad, peace and the greenness that follows rain. Bash-bash iyo barwaako, this term has the underlying phonetic representation of waterlogged undergrowth which has soaked up recent heavy rains and means a period of plenty and prosperity, for all'.

Some terms are deeply allusive: Abaar iyo oodo-lullul, meaning in the vicinity of a drought, also lurks the rattling or shacking of one's thorn-fence. The image here is of drought -stricken nomads who have lost all their livestock and try to force their way into the corrals of those more fortunate ones who still have cattle, or other livestock left.

There are moreover, countless songs in Somali traditionally sung to girls, to camels or to cattle which link astronomical phenomena, as observed omens, to years of prosperity or drought, to the deaths of important persons, to wars or storms. This song I remember clearly from my youth:

Xaydho-dayihii, Kuu xiddiginjirey, Xareed bardiyo, Xays inoo sheeg.

(My beautiful camels)

The reader of the Xaydho,¹

Who is also the expert on stars,

Announces a long-lasting supply of rainwater,

An unexpected season of heavy rain

Note: 1. Xaydho, this term refers to the fat that covers the stomach of the goats. This fat was used in the past by the Somalis for telling the future. It was removed from the goat and held to the light. Inductions were then made from looking at the inside of the fat – about the weather, wars, rain, etc.

boys%20girls.gif

Young nomadic girls challenge their nomadic counterparts, the boys.

continues

Chimera   

Sun

sun-soho011905-1919z.jpg

Qorrax

Mercury

mercury.jpg

Dusaa or Hurjub,Cudaarid,Dhayl-Gaduud

Venus

Tvenus01.gif

Waxaro-xir or Sahra

or hiddig-Waaberi

Earth

earth_1_apollo17_big.jpg

Dhull

Mars

mars_hst_big.jpg

Saxal or Saxal Guduud

Saturn

SAT_hubstorm.jpg

Faraare or Mariikh

Jupiter

jupiter.jpg

Saxal-Cadde or Mushtar or Cirjeex

Abwaan   

An interesting topic sxb. I saw this on the net around 98 and found it interesting. If you come across more on this could ou please paste it here.

Abwaan   

An interesting topic sxb. I saw this on the net around 98 and found it interesting. If you come across more on this could ou please paste it here.

me   

Thanx Dave, now lets put the right planet with the right forehead. I claim Qorax, a little bit of sweat (subag) on my forehead and it shines brighter then the Qorax.