Sign in to follow this  
ATLAS

The book that was written for you...

ATLAS   

This thread is not about which is your favourite book, but rather the book that seemed was written just for you, maybe it was your situation or maybe it expressed something that intanjible that you always felt, at some moment you read it and felt like you could mouth the next words....... you get me no I like animal farm because I always thought that pigs were evil, as much as that is intreasting it is not enlightening.

For me the book [suprise, suprise] was the fountain head by Ayn rand, at the age of 16 my life was set before me and I turned to my own destiny, through my own reasoning I understood that my purpose, was my existence, I had not been wrong my ego was not my enemy, i did not need to bury it, under neurosis or faith, but allowed my reason to guide me, it has never failed me and at my age I feel content......

And you?

Khayr   

Originally posted by ATLAS:

For me the book [suprise, suprise] was the fountain head by Ayn rand, at the age of 16 my life was set before me and I turned to my own destiny, through my own reasoning I understood that my purpose, was my existence, I had not been wrong my ego was not my enemy, i did not need to bury it, under neurosis or faith, but allowed my reason to guide me, it has never failed me and at my age I feel content......

And you?

A comment about 'Fountainhead'

First published in 1943, this best-selling novel is a
passionate defense of individualism
and presents an exalted view of man's creative potential.

Source

Ayn Rand's Philosphy

Rand's magnum opus, Atlas Shrugged, was published in 1957, becoming an international bestseller. Atlas Shrugged is often seen as Rand's most complete statement of the Objectivist philosophy in any of her works of fiction. In its appendix, she offered this summary:

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute."

Xaadha nafsaani kalam
:rolleyes:

Source

Atlas,

Are you serious about admiring this author-Ayn Rand and his book 'Fountainhead'? or are you just pulling our 'leg'? :confused:

ATLAS   

Khayr why dont you contribute the book that does it for you.

I just finished a project on tuesday about objective reasoning and am not really in the mood.... but your up...

But yes why does it amuse you that I find the book so intreasting?

If I had meant to pull peoples legs i would have posted in the jokes section yes?

Khayr   

Salamz,

I never knew about the author you mentioned neither of their work so I did some googling and got some information.

So alhamdulillah, I have some knowledge about ATLAS and where you are coming from, saxib. smile.gif

Salaan...

First time I came across this Ayr Rand person was a couple years ago, on an article about the Wikipedia founder, who obviously in a way worshipped her wishing of minimalist intervention by the authorities about human activies and to which he applied to his Wikipedia site's fundamental philosophy. He insists she and he both aren't anarchist, but her works point she is, in fact, bordering being one.

She instead calls her works "objectivism," as opposed to anarchism. An objectivism is a combination of libertarianism and minarchism (both which seem to be same), as she alludes. I think she would've been perfectly happy to live a place like the current situation in Soomaaliya.

ATLAS   

He insists she and he both aren't anarchist, but her works point she is, in fact, bordering being one.

Really is that so, thats an intreasting statement to be throwing around with out substantiating it!

4 MAIN POINTS OF OBJECTIVISM

Reality exists as an objective absolute —facts are facts, independent of man's feelings, wishes, hopes or fears.

Reason (the faculty which identifies and integrates the material provided by man's senses) is man's only means of perceiving reality , his only source of knowledge, his only guide to action, and his basic means of survival.

Man—every man—is an end in himself, not the means to the ends of others. He must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life.

The ideal political-economic system is capitalism. It is a system where men deal with one another, not as victims and executioners, nor as masters and slaves, but as traders, by free, voluntary exchange to mutual benefit. It is a system where no man may obtain any values from others by resorting to physical force, and no man may initiate the use of physical force against others. The government acts only as a policeman that protects man's rights; it uses physical force only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use, such as criminals or foreign invaders. In a system of full capitalism, there should be (but, historically, has not yet been) a complete separation of state and economics, in the same way and for the same reasons as the separation of state and church.

Tell me where the above borders on anarchisim?

really do you see no daylight between liberterianism and minarchism?

The book that has helped me a great deal which i seem to relate to more than any other book and written by the Author of All Authors is the Quran by Allah SW.What a book.....it mapped my destiny to the letter,it tells nothing but the truth ...every word of it,and it feels me with completness and content at all times.What a book...you should try it sometimes

Great topic.

I haven't found a book I feel that way about yet. I have this illogical pride (or something else?) that leads me to question any book (or person) seeking to enlighten, teach, guide, or show me the reality of my circumstance and of things philosophical. So I could never accept an ISM unless I understand it fully. I will just have to come up with my own. smile.gif

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar and Khayr, have you found such a book?

Johnny B   

For me the book is Neuromancer (a serie of three) specially Mona lisa overdrive, yeah a "cyberpunk".

The year is 1988, i´m overhearing from the living room where Dad n a freind are talking about back home,A freind of Dad just landed his Mig at Djibouti Airport instead of bobming Hargeisa.

Earlier in that day i borrowed from my physics teacher this very Book.

There i dived into the future which weird enough was not that diffrent from the past,but fascinating,captivating, i for the first time in my life felt I could shape my future and every step i took therefter was confirming.

Do u think my teacher got his book back? you bet.

i´d to buy "Count Zero" first.

Cara.   

^JB, I read Cryptonomsomething. It was middling to good, but maybe I should try Neuromancer, since it's had such a life-altering effect on you smile.gif

Atlas,

I would have to say The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan. That book touched me on so many levels. I felt like crying when I finished it, because I knew I would never be the same again.

uchi   

Sounds interesting, quite frankly I'm suprised I haven't come across it... Thanks Johnny

'The novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation'

'Callypso-i-like-it-so' Neuromancer is a fantastic book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is also a fantastic book (much better than the movie 'Blade Runner') inyour into the journa.

Though i wouldnt say they were writtenf or me, Hermann Hess's Siddhartha and Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart always strike true.

yes so JB where did u grow up, it certainly dont sound like skinnyland

Castro   

^ JB is a native of Stockholm. :D

There is no book I could say was written for me but none struck me as Noam Chomsky's Understanding Power.

Johnny B   

Any time Uchi ,ps. you gonna love it, don´t forget ya helmet ;)

Callyso, Sagan´s The Demon-Haunted World is a class of his own, man if decency and a piece of natural mind will ever matter , Carl sagan did share it.

No wonder, it´d such a personal effect on ya, you go around almost naked icon_razz.gif

Cano Geel, Man , i thought Nomadism was something We Somalis had a monopoly on , but when i met the Ibo tribe, the elder men council, the crush with the other cultures,the glorified spirit and the fate of a boy, i´d been forced to rethink, wonderful book.

P.s , Castro almost revealed the secret icon_razz.gif ,

Bro,I grew up in Uppsala ,North of Stockholm, a beautiful liberal,work-class,multi-cultural,academical, student city of Uppland state of Sweden. Here you have JB´s childhood environment

There is no book I could say was written for me but none struck me as Noam Chomsky's Understanding Power.

Castro my Emperor, that explains why you´ve been endorsed as the Emperor of SOL. icon_razz.gif

I think i´ll never understand Power, so complicated, so limitless, so effecttive yet so vague, Man maybe it is about time i learn the art of Power.

Atlas, bro maybe you can introduce me to the secret short-cut to Ayn rand´s wonderful works, sounds very intresting !!