Sign in to follow this  
Mutakalim

Islamic Existentialism

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Northerner:

ps i once heard an athiest say "thank god i'm an athiest" what did he mean by that?

I woulden't know what he meant by that , but i've a feeling that you're about to tell me. icon_razz.gif

Johnny B   

^Yes, i do , but then as an expression, as an exclamatory phrase if you like, O tempore o mores.

Just like you, except that you claim to know whom you´re addressing , i don't.

N.O.R.F   

^^So its an expression to a god you dont know (ie still in search of/for) or an expression to a god you dont believe in? A little confusing your last post.

Johnny B   

^ Atehism 101? aight, here it is .

1: There is no God = there is no Atheist.

2: God as defined by you(theist) ,an Atheist don't won't can't (you may pick your verb) beleive you, not becouse he hates you or likes you , but becouse you and your claim get absurd.

any better now?

N.O.R.F   

Any 'absurdness' in the respective claims is debatable Mr JB.

But ,in my opinion, an athiest is just that simply out of convenience.

Johnny B   

^and who am i to fetch your oponion?, none.

just a lil tiny correction, there're no respective claims, there is only one( uno ) single claim, and unsubstantiated at that.

'There is no that particular God' has to be preceded by ' there is that particular God',no?

See, we're making progress !! ;)

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by J B:

just a lil tiny correction, there're no respective claims, there is only one( uno ) single claim, and unsubstantiated at that.

'There is no that particular God' has to be preceded by ' there is that particular God',no?

See, we're making progress !!
;)

I see you tactfully dodged my 'convenience' theory,,,,,,

'Convenience' in not believing in a god/creator is the main reason you (and others like minded) choose not to believe. Its not that you dont believe (i think you believe in God) but you 'pretend' (at least in your own mind) not to, purely out of convenience. The ramifications it would have on your life etc etc

Johnny B   

Holly Molly , i mean ( oh my God ), i feel busted , so exposed , unmasked , my pretencious Atheism is undressed. :D

Northener, you're forcing me to make a decision on, weather to teach you what Atheism is all about for real ( becouse You seem to have been exposed to a flawed [adultred if u like] description of Atheism ), or save myself a feeling since what you've shown in your last post is a everything but a cincere questioning of why your God is disregarded by Atheists.

Nevertheless, i hearby go for the first, and without the slightest hope of causing a theological earthquake in your thought shelter at that.

Good Northener, I haven't "dodged" for any theory , actually you haven't named a theory at all,except on your last post , you had an opinion,as it were, and i told you that i respect your opinion regardless, but corrected your assumption of Atheists and Theists having equally absurd claims.

Now let's deal with your conjecture of 'convenience' becouse in my world , a Theory proposes, describes, explains and is capable of being tested through.

Your knowledge of the reason why an Atheist is an Atheist leavs much to be desired, and your absolute knowledge of my belif in (your) God is a mental viscosity that leavs no room for natural human malleability, you could have at least preserved an ounce of self-respect and let me do the substantiating of why i don't beleive in your God, imagine me telling you how to pray, though i don't know who you talk to in your prayers. :D

Northerner, The requirement to proof your existential claim of a Deity is not made out of convenience, since your existential claim of a Deity is not self-evident, it follows to demand of you to substantiate your claims.

If i claim that Casper is a real Ghost that not only exist(just as your God ) but talks to me and reveals the secrets of SOL users, you'd be most reasonable to demand a proof, calling your demand a convenience while claiming my claim to be true is fallacious, my inability to support my claims provides you the rationality to disregard my claim. and that is where your " convenience theory" heads. That about that.

Now, Can you please define your God ?

So, i can evaluate if i can agree or disagree to the existance of your God. becouse without you doing that , i can't deny it's existance.

Cara.   

Originally posted by Northerner:

quote:Originally posted by J B:

See, we're making progress !!
;)

I see you tactfully dodged my 'convenience' theory,,,,,,

'Convenience' in not believing in a god/creatoris the main reason you (and others like minded) choose not to believe. Its not that you dont believe (i think you believe in God) but you 'pretend' (at least in your own mind) not to, purely out of convenience. The ramifications it would have on your life etc etc
The really convenient belief is this one, Northerner. You want to reconcile your faith in a Merciful God who created humanity for a purpose with the glaring fact that most of humanity either doesn't believe in him or believes in the wrong 'version' of him. Hence you tell yourself that all those other people KNOW what the Truth is, but they are denying it out of convenience/arrogance. That justifies your Merciful God's promises of eternal damnation for them.

It's a very comforting belief, I'm sure.

N.O.R.F   

JB and Cara

You want proof of the convenience theory? I dont have any. But its what athiest are - a convenience lead herd. So, JB, no explainaition, no methodology, no findings etc it just is (sound familiar?)

Sorry if i cant support my claim. Sound familiar JB?

It's a very comforting belief, I'm sure.

Indeed it is,,,,

sticks his head back in the sand

N.O.R.F   

^^Dont bother, as JB would have plenty of striking evidence to 'prove' his point (still waiting to hear them though) while he disregards all the signs he sees everyday.