Sign in to follow this  
Warmoog

Pitfalls of Oral History

Warmoog   

Several Somali traditions including poetry, songs, and storytelling are based on word of mouth. And considering the official Somali alphabet was introduced about 30 years ago, it's easy to understand why verbal activities occupy such a large role in society.

But when it comes to history, I think one can understand where the hidden dangers might lie. Oral history seems very fluid by nature and it can only stay accurate for so long. As time passes and a story is handed down from one generation to the next, several generations down the road, that same story might take on many different shapes. People might alter things, at times through no flaults of their own (ex: bad memory) and sometimes intentionally (ex: out of spite, competition, etc.).

Since we now have an alphabet, people are at a point where they can compile and record Somali history. I've often considered getting involved in this myself. Unfortunately, it seems like anyone who ventures onto such a path is likely to run into many obsticles. The problem being - where does one start? How do you separate facts from fiction? And when people tell you different versions of the same story, who do you believe? Should you focus on history as told by Somalis? Or can you rely on accounts from some of our regional neighbours (ex: Arabs)? How do you correct some of the fallacies that were written by early composers of Somali history? And, since many people still believe those fallacies, will your version be refuted by Somalis in general?

Your input and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Salaamz.

Baashi   

Yasmine,

I agree with the premise that Oral history posses challenge to its practitioners. It has its shortcomings. I’m not a historian and thus I’m not in position to delineate the methodical processes an oral historian should be using in order to eliminate the fallacies, the contradictions, the inconsistencies, the multiple versions of the same events, and so on. My guess is we will need our own guidelines (grounded on Islamic ethics) that provide a general framework for guiding professional conduct.

The need for a revision of past historical renditions is apparent. We can’t rely on the works of Orientalists any longer. Anthropology, Sociology, Archeology, were all fields of study dedicated to understand societies of Africa and Asia for the sake of domination.

Since Oral history is the only history we have, regardless of its pitfalls and hidden dangers, we ought to reclaim it. I am of the opinion that we ought to use the Muslim versions as cross checking reference. Unlike European adventurers in search of resources to exploit, our fellow Muslims are unlikely to skew the little information they have on us to justify an imperialistic end. Yes from that perspective, we can rely on our neighbors at least more than we can rely on European adventurers.

As to the Somalis who may or may not refute your work question; I think any scholarly work be oral history practitioner or in any other field should be open for refutation. It is part of “quest for knowledge” endeavor. Finally, where does one start? I don’t know but I have a hunch that one would be very interested in finding out what others have to say about us. I also think the Somali poetry and dating technique of the “used” poems will be pivotal to this effort.

PS. My kind of topic!

Macalin   

But when it comes to history, I think one can understand where the hidden dangers might lie. Oral history seems very fluid by nature and it can only stay accurate for so long. As time passes and a story is handed down from one generation to the next, several generations down the road, that same story might take on many different shapes. People might alter things, at times through no flaults of their own (ex: bad memory) and sometimes intentionally (ex: out of spite, competition, etc.).

Tell me abt it, stories my dad told me abt my grandpa and the colonial masters and how i told em to some of my freinds including some SOL-ers are tottaly diff...nt becoz i altered the story bt becuase i forgot abt most of em....the good thng abt my history is i do have alil written story abt it

as for the majorty of somas,the idea of oral history is by now ending i beleive, after all we are captured on daily print and visual day after day for the last 13yrs, that in my eyes is the only history we need to keep it recorded now :D

What say you NOW?