Sign in to follow this  
Macalin

African writer Series

Macalin   

SaLaaMs.

o

I have seen a topic about favorite books and one abt nuurdin farah(poltical), but i have yet to see a topic abt african writers.

Am i safe to conclude that many of Us do not appreciate the great writers of AFRICA?.

Great writers like Wole Soyinka,Okot Ptek,Chinua Achebe-have earned international recognition and regional awards.

so lets hear who are your favorite afrikan writers and or if you have read any of them?

heres the official website of the AFRICAN WRITER SERIES AfricanWriterSeries

Btw, Nuurdin Farax is conspiciously Absent from the LIST

Liqaye   

Lakkad bro, unfortunatley on the net and in the real world too few africans know anything about the african renaissance in both literture and art.

By th e way nurrudin is not on the list because his books are not published by heinmann.

My favouite writer is ngugi wa-thiongo and chinua achebe, whilst the poetry of Neto and Taban Lo Liyong are beutifull

Macalin   

Oh so you saying that AWS is only in heinman? anyone outside of heinman doeasnt gget the prestigious name of the AWS?..kool now i know

Farah, Have You read any of the AWS series?

Do we regard them as inferior writers, even tho.they have been regarded as great??,or do we yearn for the western books, because of inferiority complex?..

Personalyy, i have not read many that a book of an african writer, maybe when i was in school/and or i was lucky enough to be the son of a teacher...but after that ,i didnt read any afrikan book!

Anyways..like the above bro said,we are somebody

Macalin   

Whats your genre of interest if i may ask?

Have you ever tried?, or you jst never happend to find out?...

You be suprised how many are out there

Never tried. I usually don't read political/autobiographical books. I've read quite a few african-american writers, but not african.

I pretty much read suspense/spy thrillers. But I'm getting into other things at the moment.

Macalin   

You Wanna Try,One book?,its got Suspense,Drama,Witchcraft Love,Traditional and lil comedy....I found it to be realy interesting....read it when you are bored

Author,Elechi,Amadi

Title: The Concubine...you can find @Borders/Barnes-Noble and or ur local Library...let me know when u do will Ya?

Macalin   

^^^LOL Umfufu Hee?...You knw am somehow sure theres an afrcan name like that!.......Anyways wen i was yonger i used to laugh @Ayi Kwei Arma(hes an AWS writer!)

I,have,briefly,rea,Things,Fall,Apart..

The,only,African,Writer,whose,work,Iam,familiar,with,is,Nuradin,Farah.

----

Farah ,Bro,Whats,With,All,The,Comas,?( :D )

Ok, going back to the books, Ben Okri is a fantastic writer, that takes you on journeys to heaven and back, and some times in the same paragraph!! Try Astonishing The Gods and The Famished Road. Ama Ata Aidoo is also amazing, for Witt, humour and a deep insight of the modern African dilemma (especially with respect to consolidating tradition, ignorance (not that tradition implies ignorance!) and womens rights), No Sweetness here is again fantastic.

I've noticed that we've mainly talked about west African writers, i don't know that much about African Literature, especially east African, would anyone care to suggest east African writers?

Macalin   

Cano Geel, Bro Aidoo is a great writer

Most AWS writers are W/Africans...there are indeed few of them who are from east africa.

Anyways i did give u the website up there whereby u can click on the country,i know Ngugi wa thiongo of kenya and others...go ahead and read....

Lakkad, thanks bro, I must of just jumped the link, have been flicking through the authors, great site, its a shame they only have Heinemann authors on there.