Sign in to follow this  
finestsista2005

Can someone really know the hole truth?

Hi SOL friends, first i like to start up by saying i hope am forgiven for the last post.

Second i would like to start a debate about:

Can someone really know the hole truth?

Can it be really exactly same as what was truth. How do you know it's the hole truth? It's just some words past to another and then another. How do u know it has a merit by the time u get that truth. Does the truth u think u know change? How can we know? Maybe what was true yesterday is different today.

I took critical thinking last semester and philosophy. I hope some of you can bring up some good points to prove or any philosopher who did argue this.

another thing, i heard that many of the philosophers where eathist( they didn't belive in good) was that true.

I appricaite all the knowledges we can but together or learn from one another. ;)

Mowgli   

Salaams & Ramadan Kariim

Well I'll try to answer some of your questions as best as I can (mind you I haven't been able to sleep and its 4.00am so bare with me).

"Can someone know the whole truth?"

Well, before we can answer that question, we firstly have to define truth and truth is defined as "justified true belief", meaning something can be true to you as long as you are able to JUSTIFY your belief.

In the world of philosophy, most say that someone alone can not know the whole truth, there are too many variables and strategies for defining truth, but as long as you can justify it, then it automatically becomes true to you. For example, how do we know the world is round and not flat? Have you ever seen the world from outer space? If we can't see it, touch it, smell it...how do we know that the world is actually round? These may have been proved to us by rules of correspondence, however if we observe something, does it automatically become true? Observations depend on sensation and perception and in life, there are two certain things, two truths, we are born and that we die.

"Can it be really exactly same as what was truth."

Again, if you can justify it, and have evidence to support your claim it becomes true to you.

"How do you know it's the hole truth? It's just some words past to another and then another. How do u know it has a merit by the time u get that truth."

This is where belief comes in, if you mentally accept something and your conviction in it is strong, and again can justify it, it becomes the truth.

In one of my lectures last week, our Professor asked us, "how do we know we are all here? How do we know that this is not all a trick played on us by our minds and that the people we see are all figments of our imagination and that in fact, we are all alone?" This is because we have precieved a world beyond ourselves (empirical world) and we assumed to have a material basis/existance and as long as we are consistent in our perception, there is an external world beyond us and that is our belief, it is justified through the laws of perception.

Now in the context of religion...if we want to know the truth, just look in the quran and it has already been laid out for us by Allah (swt) :D ...there are things that Science has only discovered in the last century (20th) and have been in the Quran for more then 1400 years!

Blessed   

No!

We only know that which Allah had revealed to us through the signs in creation and revelation.

AlCilm - Knowledge is with Allah alone. I think anyone who states that they know the whole truth is in error and is taking one of the attributes of Allah.

Secondly, humans are on earth for a limited period, their knowledge ofit being limited to the time andenvironment... and lets not forget the galaxies..... what was the question again? redface.gif