Sign in to follow this  
sayfulaah-almasluul

somali language is written in latinic letters not arabic like pakistan.does that make

i wonder ifi can see what is nomads' view about somali language written in latinic letters not arabic,what effect did that has in our relation to arabi world?would somalia be better relation with arab world, had we written our language in arabic letters?

why did somali goverment prefered latin than arabic which infact was the languages of somali people before and after colonial powers?

have the somalis achieved any thing by changing their language from arabic to latinic?(i mean the using the latinc letters rather thatn arabic)or we lost alot.

Adna   

salaam

I migh not have all the ansewrs but sure i know th somali language used to write like how the pakistan language is written it's arabic but a bit different i think. that was before they came up with somali alphapetic.I could be wrong but i think my uncle might have abook was written then, so will look for more in fo, in sha'alaah will keep you posted....... love you all

bilan   

what i heard of, and i could be wrong that, the gov chose latin because majority of the world use it so it was easy to get funding, i do not think that we lost anything, because arab governments do not care anyone who is not arab anyway, second it makes sense if all muslims use arabic letters, because arabic is the language of our religion, not because we want to have better relation with arabs, we should care whether we have good relations with all muslims not only arabs.

Liqaye   

Hullo,

First of all i do not believe that somali written in latin script has had any effect on our relations or lack of them with the arab world indeed i would think that there are more pressing geopolitical issues viza vi the arabs, than what script we use.

Secondly why is the assumption that we had a choice only between latin and arabic.

We had before the 1950's the osmaniya form of script that used a totaly new script, and one based on the arab form, but with totally diffrent grammer (those of you who know urdu would understand) developed by a sheikh (the name escapes me)in mogadishu in the 1910's.

As to why the latin script was chosen over all the others, well apart from the fact that it made more sense in a world were 80% of languages are transcribed in latin, it would seem that Siad Barre was finally sold on the latin script when Mao Zedong made an off the cuff remark that he would have installed latin script as the script of his revolution, if he had known about all the problems faced by the chinese goverment, inadapting western technology and such like to the chinese script.

Hope that helped .