Sign in to follow this  
Ladiif

Social Debate: Have the established Somali groups failed their ailing communities??

Ladiif   

1. Somali Community Organizations

2. Somali Ulama'a

3. So-called educated and Intellectuals

My own personal opinion, yes, I strongly believe these aforementioned groups have failed their suffering somali people miserably and beyond repairs.

Even though some groups are worse than others, they all have failed to do something to bail out their people from these sufferings and guide them through tough times when they needed them the most. There are domestics problems which lies within the limits of these groups but they chose to turn a blind eye to them.

I would like to point out and touch on some points on the 3 groups but I'm pressed for time but I'm sure y'all have something to say abt this topic so, fill us in and enlighten us!!

Fii^aminil Allah!!!

[ September 02, 2003, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Admin ]

Coloow   

Latiif: I agree 100% or as we somalis say Ishaad ka tuurtay!

The so called communities are made up of often greedy individuals who see these kinds of organisations as a potential breadwinner. In the western world and muslim world for that matter, communities exist to promote the well-being of a group. they are run and managed by individuals on voluntary basis- in the somali sense (I am departing from my own observations) so called somali communities exist to capitalise on the handouts (few dollars)- and do not serve a common purpose!

The culuma have failed the somali society in that they failed to adress issues that are important to the somalis- Everywhere you go you meet culumas who preach on the devil (the gaalo) while at the same time not condemning the actions of the black gaalo (warlords, murderers etc) amongst them. They also fail to tackle social problems that affect somalis......

It seems to me that we somalis have redifined the delphic concept of intellectualism. we call anyone who has graduated from a college DR. infact, if you look at the names of somalis in the diaspora and abroad, you can't help but notice the prefixes of Doctor, doktoressa, injineer, duuliye etc. What characterises the somali intellectual? according to my personal opinion, he/she is not an academic intellectual (academic individuals shy away from mentioning their titles) but losers who see academic qualifications as away to enhance their tribal discourse.

More to come on this subject