Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

LOSING CULTURE/DEEN WHEN YOU GO AWAY FOR UNIVERSITY

JIDAAWY   

One major side-effect of us immigrating to the west seems to be the risk of developing a destructive mentality. There is nowhere this is more evident then what this young lost girl wrote. In particular, her mindset is a result of the much accelerated loss of Islamic mentality that comes with living out here.

Originally posted by Xalimo7:

I have read the few threads recently about god...and the various other threads about god since I started in this forum,every time there is

a mention of god, or a mere dis-believe in it(for I know not who god is, man or woman, it doesn't matter), it will inevitably end up with pages of arguments, believers vs non-believers.here i am

working my buts off to make ends meet,

see you,am around dude

how dare you question the authority and power of Alaah most high and most gracious. Bani Adaam xun oo powerless ah aa tahay.. do you realize the fact that you are sitting here healthy is a blessing from god by itself?

what would you do if alaah sent a car to run you over, mutilated your face and crippled you from neck down? Who would you turn to then?

Rest assured your mentality does NOT enjoy any acceptance among Jews and Christians let alone us Muslims. so please spit your venum somewhere else...

Anyways.. Ilaaahay ha ku hadeeyo ruux dhunsan aa tahee.. Ameen.

Muhammad   

Bro Jidaawy couldn't agree with you more!

Xaliimo 7:

It is amazing how you claim to have donated to the mosque, but allow such words to come out of your mouth. Subhanallah! If it wasn't for you name, I wouldn't have believed you were a Somali!

Xaliimo7 said: "I know not who god is, man or woman?"

This shows me your lack of inteligence in this subject. For if you have read Surah AL-IKHLAS (SINCERITY) you would have known that:

He is Allah, the One and Only;

Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;

He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;

And there is none like unto Him.

There is no need to ask whether Allah is a Man or a Women, for none is like Him!

You then wrote: "here i am

working my buts off to make ends meet, and some sheikh in some musjid is living off the donations of the very people, like me, who donated to the mosque"

May I ask why you donate to the Mosque? I don't Understand why you would do that if it seems you don't even believe in Allah!

You then said: "If the faith of the muslim God or for that matter God of all is so strong,why did God allow Wars to happen?"

Subhanallah have you no knowledge or logic? This is a question that even yound Muslims know the answer to! Haven't you heard of Free Will or Qadar?

Allah(swt) has given the son of Adam (mankind) Free Will(Choice) to choose his path. He is Able to Kill and Punish all Zalimun (wrongdoers and the unjust) but every thing has a law and perfect order. This world(life) is but a test, the true, real world is in the hear-after! When the Unjust will be Punished and The Just will be rewarded! And everyone will have no one to blame but himself!

I advice you to seek knowledge, to Iqra(read) before you Allow Your Ignorence to escape your lips!

May Allah(swt) forgive your ignorence! Aamiin!

rashida   

i totally disagree with you khayr is male or female whatever, anyways i was very very young when i was adopted my a christain family where by they used to practice their faith like anyother family in america could pratice they would go to the church every sunday and pray when ever they eat and sleep, so i never ever tried to follow their dean or whatever, i knew i had my own and i have to be practicing like they are i was 11 years never learned quraan, just my mother told me i moslim and i have to be doing what moslims do. i used to be the only girl who covered her head in the school yet those other somali children who stayed with their own parents dressed like the gaalo. so no body can change you else you want to.

Changed   

khayr.....dont judge as u would not want to be judged ....bro the guy may have come from UAE and probably did not know english at the time butu did not clearify if he spoke somali or not :confused: .....he may have been born there and the only language he knew may have been arabic and now that he knew english he was trying to communicate with u with english... dont assume the worst:assume the best :D ...

yes i will agree there are some somali who loose their culture but that doesnt have anything to do with being somali it basically comes done to personality and weakness..alot of africans, asians,arabs,somalis assimilate with the people they associate with and that is not newly discovered phenomenon it is something that has been happening since Adam and Xawa and please dont blame it on university cuz like u said:u did get tempted yet u didnt go for it that is cuz u are strong and u are not easy influenced while some poeple may be of a total opposite and the society they live around may have a huge effect on them..What is this culture that somalis have and we talk about and how do we know of it ? :confused: it is something that has been set by the somali society, and we are following it in some way we all go in circle and those the leave the circle are looked at differently .i think we should eccept them and if we see them doing wrong , we should advice them and incourage them

peace

Raxmah   

Asalamu Alaikum

It's only up to the person to lose their culture and deen at Universities. As for me it only made me a better muslim. Joining the MSA had a great impact in my life. It gave us muslims a chance to teach non muslims about the religion. We pray outside, and ppl stand there to look at us and they become curios as to what we are doing a chance for as to explain about Islam. Universities is a place that makes you or breaks you, if you decide to hang out in the wrong crowd, most likely yuo will be lost. Its all about making the right choices, and if you are willing to discover who are as Muslim and Somali. All I have to say ppl wont change, unless you let them.

OBVIOUS   

Why don't you guys find something benificial to talk about rather than chewing trivial wining about non issues. It is upto the individuals to determine how religious they want to be. Make use of your time and intelect to contribute to the welfare of humanity.

It is certainly a threat with the various life styles students are encouraged to perpetuate.

However for me going to university has lead to quite the opposite allahmdulilah. I have become a better muslim than when i before thx largly to the good brothers i met whilst studying there.