Sign in to follow this  
nuune

The Beauty Of Our Language

nuune   

i always came across some people who don't like their language,maybe because they left somalia and don't want to go back there or even speak it.

but the thing they are missing is that how rich our language is, i can't write all the richness of our language in here but u know what am talking about.

we are the only people on earth that has many descriptions or attributes for this liquid called Milk(caano).to name some of them:

caano dhay ah

caano ciir ah

caano suusac ah

caano garoor ah

caano mac ah(not the macaan we know or the mac for shumis or kiss,it says mac)

i tried to find a translation for these and many others in english,arabic,german and Irish,but couldn't,if u can find then let me know.

we also have the best sayings or maah-maah on earth,

we also have the worst saying or maahmaah on earth,in this case,we have the proverb which says: wax xunba xaawaa leh

be proud of your language is all i can say!

As teenager, i never cared about the somali langauge or my grasp of the somali. I only begin to appreciatate it as i grew older. It is indeed a very rich language. It is very expressive langauge. I hope nomads will take notice and learn their heritage.

Haashim   

Nuune well said, u r right but where are the MEN?

RAG WAA RAGGII HORE HADALNA WAA INTUU YIRI, kuwa hadda jooga waa xunbo iyo xaabo waa ..... oo miiran, nma rabo inaan magaca sheego laakiin iska garo, Nuune iyo Che Guevara maahan smile.gif .

Caanaha waxaan u maleyna waa qaban qaar, kulli maaha intaanaan ka xusuustaaa:

dhayda ama mac = fresh milk = xaliib dhaasij

ciirta = carne milk = waa hilmaamay

garoorka = yoghurt = roob

FARUUROOW MAXAA BARBARA KU GEEYEY ...... FA'UUL

Gabbal   

Af-Somali is such a poetic language that there is a simile or metaphor for every term. Thats one of the reasons Somalia is called a nation of poets(gabay). Our language is rich in culture and the expressive way everything is named. I don't believe Somali is a Cushitic language, though. I'm waiting for someone to finally place Somali as a Semetic language. We have to many "kh"s and "gh"s to be Cushitic. A while ago, I was watching a speech Saddam Hussein was making on C-SPAN and I could understand 25% of the words he was saying, even though i don't speak Arabic. Words like siyaasi and basaas, very traditional Somali words.

What Do y'all think?

delpiero   

Walaal nuune Iagree with u &thnx 4 u cos I had the same idea. Walaal I like 2 write somalia poetry , 4 more details go the joks room & u can find me there...

DELPIERO

bro nice topic..... love my language ;) ...

Our language is our soul

We use language to express all that we are. It is the tool by which we communicate everything from scientific principles to gossip and idle banter. Our means for expressing love and hate, despair and joy ­ it is intrinsically tied to the heights and depths of our emotions. We revel in its beauty using it to create poetry, drama and literature. It unravels our knowledge of the past and weaves our dreams for the future. Our language expresses not just what we think but how we think. It expresses not just what we are saying but who we are. A people's language is a priceless treasure and no culture can survive without it.

see yaah :D:D:D

Istaahil   

i dont really agree wit ya nuun.firstly the somali language isnt unique. if u have noticed theres alot of words that are arabic like tuufax(apple) and kuursi etc.

some are english and some italian and some even indian.( no wonder some words are really strange)

so it was all like taken and stolen from other languages all bits and peices

and secondly look all around da world and see a person who is not somali and wants to learn it or knows it.

but i still like it but just dont really agree wit ya about the richness thing. icon_razz.gif

nuune   

Istaahil,welcome first,and thanks for that,u know i didn't included tufaax and kursi in my list,why,because they are loan words.

and by the way it is your opinion if u don't like the richness of your language,tis pity that u gave credit other language and not yours!

Haashim   

Sister Istaahil, don't blame our language. our language is a rich language but we ignore on it because first we didn't write from our grandfathers as many nations did or we got very little from them and msot of us were grown up big cities (where there is no authentic language)or abroad.

i will give u an example: how many colours do u know?

we know only CAGAAR, GUDUUD, MADOW, IYO CADDAAN all other colours are from foreign languages like jaalle, buluug, kafee etc.

but do you know that sayid mahamed abdille hassan has a poet which he mentioened about 60 horse colours, do u know these colours? we can learn if we want. So, our language is rich but most of us have no deep knowldege about our language.

Yes, we have some words from other languages but that's not big problem because every language takes some words from other language and that's normal.

we also destroyed the small amount of somali literature which we collected last 40 years, so we have to blame ourselves not our language.

FARUUROOW MAXAA BARBARA KU GEEYAY, FA'UUL

Istaahil   

nuun i didnt give credit to other languages bro. i just meant that somalian language is mainly made up of difernt languages which has alot of disadvantages. like where i live there are alot of arabs. when they hear the somali language they think we are sudane people or morrocans which is an insult , and they regard us not purely african like were from them.

but it is good in other ways for example our greetings are islamic and other little sayings. and iam proud :D of my language!!!!!!!!!!!!

nuune   

Istaahi,thanks for noting that,every language is made up of different languages,that is right,but the fact that we are muslim nation made us have many arabic words,but our language is unique compared to other languages.

example,see the english language,it is mainly from the german language and french to some extent.

just last night i was watching this programme on an Iranian television,and there were many somali words like banjar,sida taayarka waa banjar(note,taayar=tyre),this word banjar can be found in other languages as well.

and another day i was waching this hindi movie,and there was these somali words like laangare,(note,laanagre=jiis,cuuryaan) and rooti and many others.

now what is the point,we are not the only people who took loan words,but other languages took many words from us as well!

Istaahil   

salam, :mad:

nuun thanks for that peice of information i didnt know lagaree was also taken from somali language.

anywaz its not good to share our language with other languages because it can have some down side to it.

for example me and a couple of friends were sitting in a train and talking in somali, this arab women understood 50% of what we were saying as she turned to us and laughed and walked off.

if you r sitting next to a chinese person, hardly anyone would know except if they are chinese themselves.

so thats whats bad bout our language. but on the other hand we too would understand other languages. icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Haashim   

Nuune, sxb. DAAN, LAAD, ROOTI, ARI, DIYAAR, SAMANTAR, GAAARI and many other words were taken from us by indians. BUT LAANGADHE and SHOODHE we taken from them, particullarly during their stay in northern areas with british colony, don't u see that only reer woqooyi use these words (laangadhe and shoodhe keyse), but above words are original somali words they were stolen from us.

Do you also know that indians are xarfaan, they took many clasic arabic words and many arabs didn't know today that these words are originally arabic such as QURBAAN, INSAAF, NIZAAM, and many classic arabics. So, i agree with u the indians are xarfaan they always cheat :eek:

FARUUROOW MAXAA BARBARA KU GEEYEY, FA'UUL

nuune   

muraad:

ar maxay xarfaaniin yihiin,kaaba laadariin waaxid dheh,

anaga hindida filimaantooda aan daawannaa marka ereyada sida atarisho and atoore are indian words and of course kaaba laadar(this can be italian word as well).

in indian movies,you could hear words like tayaar ta hai((diyaar maa tahay) so what they did is, instead of tahay they used ta hai which is the same sound as tahay

Salaan...

atarisho and atoore are indian words...

Nah, nuune. Actually those words themselves are English. They are derived from actress and actor respectively. Perhaps, Hindi waxee kasoo dhiitiyeen English, and anaga iyagaa kasii qaadaney. Teeda kale the word rooti is a Hindi word. It is not a Soomaali one. Even the word "shaah" too.

I agree with you, though, that luuqada Soomaali is a perfect language, but we abused it. Even though, it is good to borrow foreign words, words that are especially perfect in sounding, like kaasmaayo or qatari saana. Do you also know that the word Banaadir is a Persian word? It is derived from the Persian word of 'bendar,' meaning port.

Ingiriisbo fake waaye, so no problem us using luuqad qalaad {hint, hint, Carabi dhehbo :D }. English wuxuu ka kooban yahey Greek, Latin, Germanic iyo the old French. Inta kale been.

Macsalaama!!