Sign in to follow this  
x_quizit

Brains vs. Skillz

x_quizit   

I admit, i'm a virgin to the sports section of this forum, but I've had a nagging question to ask, and u sports fanatics may have the answer.So bear with me.

My question is, why do sports athletes get more or fuller scholarship than straight-A students?(when it comes to attending college/Uni)

For ex, if a student, who gets average marks in school, lets say, a C average, yet is dominant in basketball/football why do they get offered a full scholarship, not having to pay a red cent for their school, just so that they can play for their college team, versus a straight A student that has worked hard all their high school career, and may get a partial to no scholarship offered.

Is that fair? Or is is reflective of the western society, where anything that makes loads of money is valued more than brains?

Do they deserve it just for their skills or should they also be held to a higher standard and should also be required to have a higher average to maintain?

Peace

WingA   

maybe there parents should of raised them to get involved in sports from a young age i dunno sis but some ppl are gifted in there own way..

salaams..

underdog   

Fair has nothing to do with it, X. The college level sports, especially in the states is crazy, Colleges make hundreds of thousands of dollars from college sports and the athletes don't even get paid, in return they get a scholarship.

x_quizit   

Winger I hear what u are saying...

"maybe there parents should of raised them to get involved in sports from a young age i dunno sis but some ppl are gifted in there own way.."

BUT, at the same time, couldn't u also say the sporty kids' parents should also invest in their school's education more? encourage them to get higher grades instead of just relying on sports as back?

Ud..

"Fair has nothing to do with it, X. The college level sports, especially in the states is crazy, Colleges make hundreds of thousands of dollars from college sports and the athletes don't even get paid, in return they get a scholarship."

Right, i'm not saying they shouldn't get anything since the schools are gonna profit from then, BUT shouldn't brainy kids also deserve some investment into their future? I see young men always saying they are gonna play ball 'cause they might get 'discovered' or choosen by a good school, when in truth, most don't get a scholarship, and then what? they are left with bad grades 'cause they thought they would make it, and left their education behind..aren't schools luring kids into just fame and not putting enuff emphasis on literature? AND isn't it odd that majority are black kids, and doesn't that indirectly discriminated against 'em when ur saying u'll get to school because ur an athlete, not b/c ur capable of great marks?

Just a thought..

Ever thought that having a skill is a source of income that generates millions for the schools, colleges as well as the person with the skills. I believe there is no one out there without a brain and that having a skill is as good as being smart for its not easy to play a game without a game plan. Thats why we have guys who have people who are average and geniuses in their own right and sport.

I also think that people who use their brains are the ones who make money out the ones with skillz...Agents, schools and departments that offer scholarships....etc....

underdog   

In my personal opinion, I don't think atheletes and entertainers deserve the amount of money they get. Considering their contribution to society, Now every kid wants to make it, by becoming a singer or basketball player.

SJ   

Fair??

These underprivileged (mostly black) kids are being exploited by men with big wallets. Some of the college sports in America out perform the pros and athletes receive next to nothing relative to their contribution. The tiny proportion they are receiving is always in question. To add more insult, majority of them don’t obtain proper education and don’t make to the next level to fulfill their dreams.

At least a straight A student will obtain a (long term) permanent job upon graduation.

Did any of ya read Hoop Dreams? (there is also a movie I believe). Being athlete is a risky business.

Macalin   

Do you guys ever consider the impact that it has on black communities?--i mean a ppl who dont get fair education,compared to white counterparts?.....this issue is more than money folks...its about super dineros,huge chinchilas,grand yingyangs..and more billions is involvd in college sporting-its a whole division by itself, employing parhaps millions of ppl...it plays its role in this great US economics---that aside

Simple speak;The main beneficiery of these scholarships are athletic young gifted black men and women who ,despite not getting good grades,(BTW, not because they are not bright,but due to the white mans' in -ability or unwillingness to balance the American shool ssytem,)These gifted and athletic young men and women have extra ordinary athletic skills,and wit that enables them to help there respective families,larger community,and to some extent the black community.

There are of course pros and cons to all this,and it requires more analysis and surveys to see if they indeed help poor ppl and athletes in general.....But dont be fooled by the media or racist white men who is jealous of all the succesful black men and women around the globe.

a few prominent ex sholarship beneficiries who'made use of the schollarships' are dikembe motombo who built a huge hospital in congo,magic johnson,and of coz al hajj hakeem olajouon.....to mention but a few...

Anyways its complicated and we don know the criteria used for selecting athletic scholarships and the NCAA rules and regulations---

WingA   

Winger I hear what u are saying...

BUT, at the same time, couldn't u also say the sporty kids' parents should also invest in their school's education more? encourage them to get higher grades instead of just relying on sports as back?

of course, sports is very physical and injuries are always a possability.. so, you need to educate your kids and tell him sports is not as important as school/college coz what you learn through school/college will forever stay with you and then you can have more options to choose from if they dont make it..

Simple speak;The main beneficiery of these scholarships are athletic young gifted black men and women who ,despite not getting good grades,(BTW, not because they are not bright,but due to the white mans' in -ability or unwillingness to balance the American shool ssytem,)These gifted and athletic young men and women have extra ordinary athletic skills,and wit that enables them to help there respective families,larger community,and to some extent the black community.

so, they fail or give low marks top athletes in the school/college?? i dont see the logic in that.. why would they do that?? am sure the student would of spoke out about it and stopped it if was happening..

salaams..

Qac Qaac   

let's face it we are living at the age of entertainment, everyone wants to chill. so with that in mind.

Athletes get more money, because simply it brings name for the school, for example North Carolina, everyone knows for their basketball, and alot of ppl in North America knows that. so if u could get someone good baller in your school, no matter what is school average was, they would take him before the brain guy, coz this person will bring fame, money to the school. this is the american dream sis. so just live it.