Jabhad

Somalis under siege in South Africa

Jabhad   

Somalis under siege in South Africa

By Mohammed Allie

BBC News, Cape Town

_42216938_somalishop_203i.jpg

South Africa is believed to have around 5 million illegal immigrants

A spate of murders over the past two months has left Cape Town's Somali community, especially those who run businesses in townships, fearing for their lives.

The Somalis claim 40 traders have been the victims of targeted killings since the attacks started in August.

Cape Town police however, say they are only aware of 20 such killings in the past 10 months.

While police initially insisted the killings were part of South Africa's high crime rates, beleaguered Somalis are convinced they are being targeted, pointing out that the perpetrators often did not touch money or other valuables belonging to the victims.

Police have in recent weeks admitted that xenophobia rather than criminality could be behind the attacks.

Often the perpetrators walk into the township shops run by Somalis and simply fire at the owner before fleeing the scene.

Unfair competition?

The xenophobic nature of the attacks against the Somalis was clearly illustrated in August when a group of about 200 locals attacked Somali-owned shops forcing them to flee the seaside township of Masiphumelele.

The action forced the provincial government to intervene to restore calm to the area.

_42216842_khayelitsha_203i.jpg

REFUGEES IN SOUTH AFRICA

DR Congo 9,516 refugees and 4,622 asylum applications

Somalia 7,118 refugees and 3,893 asylum applications

Zimbabwe 5,789 asylum applications

Ethiopia 2,795 asylum applications

Angola 5,774 refugees

Burundi 2,075 refugees

Rwanda 1,266 refugees

Source: UN, 2004

Little welcome for refugees in SA

Township businessmen, who are alleged to be directing the attacks, claim the Somalis are attracting their customers by offering cheaper prices and forcing them to shut up shop.

The situation seems to have improved following meetings involving members of the provincial government, the local community and the Human Rights Commission.

Security Minister Charles Nqakula has admitted that police do not have the exact figures on how many Somalis have been killed over the past two years.

In reply to a parliamentary question from Tony Leon, leader of the opposition Democratic Alliance, Mr Nqakula said obtaining such information would require too much time and resources.

"This attitude displays a monumental indifference to the plight of the Somali community, members of which are coming under attack on an almost daily basis," Mr Leon said in a statement.

Street patrols

It has been calm recently in the sprawling impoverished township of Khayelitsha where several Somali traders were killed in August.

Nash Mohammed, a Somali refugee, who has been in Cape Town for two years, says he had lost two family members over the past year and feared for his own life.

_42216838_nash_203i.jpg

They have even given me a local name, Bongani and a clan name of Radebe

Nash Mohammed, Somali refugee

Speaking at his shop which blends in with the corrugated iron shacks of the area, Mr Nash says he feels safer now than he did last month when several Somalis were killed in townships across the Cape Town area.

"The local community here have formed street committees and they patrol the area, especially where there are Somali shops. We get along very well with the community. The problem seems to come from a small group of gangsters who are targeting Somali traders," he says.

A sign of how much a part of Khayelitsha he has become is that Mr Nash converses with his customers in the local Xhosa language.

"They have even given me a local name, Bongani and a clan name of Radebe," he says.

"We really don't have a problem with the Somalis in our area," says Nkosinathi Present, who popped in to buy some maize meal, by far the most popular product sold by Mr Nash.

"It seems to be the businessmen who are angry with the Somalis but if they have a problem why can't they talk it out? The Somalis are skilled businessmen and perhaps they can help the locals," she says.

As the Somali death toll climbs, police say they have arrested and charged nine people in connection with 20 murders.

It may seem a small percentage of the official figure of 18,500 murders committed in South Africa last year, but it is little comfort for a community who feel they are under siege.

Mutual rights

Since the advent of democratic rule in 1994 refugees from developing countries, especially Zimbabwe, Democratic Republic of Congo, Angola and Somalia as well as Pakistan and India, have flooded to South Africa in search of a better life.

Somali shopkeepers are accused of undercutting their local competitors

South Africa, with a population of more than 44 million, officially has nearly 30,000 refugees and 100,000 asylum seekers but unofficially there are believed to be more than five million illegal immigrants in the country.

The refugees were not always been welcomed, especially in poorer black communities, since they were seen as competing for the same scarce resources and jobs.

Many African refugees have been victims of xenophobic attacks, much to the embarrassment of the government, many of whose members were offered a safe haven in exile by African countries during the anti-apartheid struggle.

Roll Back Xenophobia, a UNHCR-funded advocacy body, in partnership with government and non-governmental stakeholders, is about to embark on a campaign to reduce tensions between local communities and refugees and make both sides aware of their mutual rights and obligations.

Jabhad   

"It may seem a small percentage of the official figure of 18,500 murders committed in South Africa last year, but it is little comfort for a community who feel they are under siege. "

Dheel Dheel looguma bixin "the crime capital of the world".

South Africa sucks. The Crime rate in that country is so high. I personaly feel sorry for the white people in that country. Seeing their country being ruined slowly.

I hope Aids does it magic quickly.

hmm is that racist? smile.gif

SeeKer   

Originally posted by HeroOfCanton:

.... I personaly feel sorry for the white people in that country. Seeing their country being ruined slowly.....

hmm is that racist?
smile.gif

Whoa slow down there wilma? South Africa belongs to the whites? since when sxb? Care to dig back in your history and prove how a piece of Africa is owned by Whites? :rolleyes:

As for the AIDS comments..... That thought shouldn't even be allowed on a normal day let alone a Holy month.

Ibtisam   

South Africa sucks. The Crime rate in that country is so high. I personaly feel sorry for the white people in that country. Seeing their country being ruined slowly.

come again!!!! :confused: redface.gif :mad: WHat!!! Are you on? :mad: Sounds like you missed out you history and geography class at school. IT also seems you are deaf and Blind :rolleyes: I am tempted to call you few more names, but why borther with someone who is clearly misplaced and ignorant at the same time :rolleyes: I don't believe you, seriously i am utterly shocked! eeeeeeeeer aakh too!

Ibtisam   

Damn right i did, It was either that Or nasty, nasty words that would make even you turn red. icon_razz.gif

I just did not want to swear,...

what is your issue? :D

Shakti   

HeroOfCanton is doing u guys a favor... u should thank him.. his only trying to wake u guys up..thats all.. right hero

HeroOfCanton .. BUT, a little help 4 ya.. south Africa not southEourpe :D

gee whiz. I upset people. Well i always feel my whole day is wasted if i can't piss of three people online. smile.gif

come again!!!! :confused:
redface.gif
:mad: WHat!!! Are you on? :mad: Sounds like you missed out you history and geography class at school. IT also seems you are deaf and Blind :rolleyes: I am tempted to call you few more names, but why borther with someone who is clearly misplaced and ignorant at the same time :rolleyes: I don't believe you, seriously i am utterly shocked! eeeeeeeeer aakh too!

Umm did i say I the country belonged to the whites? Where? Instead of getting all crazy and hitting Post Reply faster then an Insurgent can launch his RPG. READ and THINK about it. I said let me qoute my self

I personaly feel sorry for the white people in that country. Seeing their country being ruined slowly.

Has you can see i wrote their country. It doesn't state specifically that the country is a white only land. It states that White South Africans are part of that country. Which is true seeing that they put a lot more sweat and blood into building it when the rest of the world sanctioned it. Now that the black africans have had more then 10 years to do something with out any sanctions. They f***ed badly. Crime rates in South Africa is one of the worsts in the worlds. White Farmers are being killed simply because they are white. Somalis are being killed simply because they are somalis. They are racist has well (i don't ignore the fact that my opinon is racist but i don't care). Take a look at Zimbabwe. Back when It was called Rhodesia. It was suffering from sanctions. YET they managed to hold their country together. Even when the British abandonded them. When Mugabe took control and named it into Zimbabwe.

Has for Aids. Most of the spread in Africa happens because of ONE and ONE simply reason. It's SEX. They pigs go out and raping women when they know they have HIV and they also visit prostitues. They are ignoring the problem. Believing that it doesn't exist.

by the way ibtisam. Why don't you pay attention to History instead. It's much better and if you did. You would have knowned that South Africa was actually created by the Boers (White Afrikanners)

me   

^^^ Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wrong! South Africa was created by the British colonials after they defeated the boers. The Boers wanted the Zuid-Afrikaanse Republiek (Transvaal and Oranje vrij staat).

The Brits just lumped all of Southern Africa together and later divided into smaller pieces, the Afrikaners were beaten and had little to say until they were granted independance and the the Unie van Zuid-Afrika was created.

Secondly the HIV was spread by the apartheid regime. The apartheid regime had various biological warfare programmes running and they were actively speading diseases among the black population of South Africa.

The crime is a direct result of the injustice of apartheid. Its easy blaming the victims, so be objective.

me   

warka.php?num=801&PHPSESSID=afec2d850e59

Sadex nin oo ganacsato somali ah oo lagu gubay dukaamo ay lahaayeen oo ku yaala dalka south afrika

Warkii 18-Oct-2006 iyo Qormadii: yaasiin faytin

Sedex Nin oo soomali ah ayaa lagu gubay Magaalada PORTELEZABIT oo ka mid ah Magaalooyinka ay dagan yihiin soomalida ganacsatada ah ee ku sugan dalka south afrika Sedexdan Nin oo Sawiradoodu ay ka muuqdaan dhaawac culus ayaa waxa ay hada ku jiraan Cisbitaalka edexadn nin ayaa lagu magacaabaa Yuusuf Yare, Maxamed Muumin Iyo Cali Cadaw

Sedexdan nin ayaa waxa lagu magacaabaa YUUSUF YARE . MAXAMED MUUMIN iyo CALI CADAW oo waqtigaasi ku jiray meheradaha ay ka ganacsanayeen isla markaana ay ahayd waqti habeen ah oo ay jiifeen Goobtooda ganacsiga

Sidoo kale Waxuu warku uu intaas ku darayaan in laba kamid ah ragaasi ay xaaladooda aad u liidato qaar kamida soomaalida ku dhaqan gobolkaasi oo ay la xidhiidhay shabakada www.afnugaal.com ayay noo xaqiijiyey in kooxahaasi budhacad ah ee south afrikaanka ahi ay dhaceen dukaankaasi dabadeedna ay dabqabadsiiyeen iyagoo ragaasina gudaha dukaanka lagu soo xidh xidhay

Si kastaba ha ahaate Soomalida ku dhaqan wadanka south africa ayaysan jirin cid u dooda oo kala hadasha Dowlada South Africa Iyadoo ay maalamhan danbe ay sii badanayaan ugaadhsiga ganacsatada soomaalida ahi.

Yaasiin maxamed cali (faytin)

Secondly the HIV was spread by the apartheid regime. The apartheid regime had various biological warfare programmes running and they were actively speading diseases among the black population of South Africa.

The crime is a direct result of the injustice of apartheid. Its easy blaming the victims, so be objective.

Oh yeah. Blame it on the Apartheid. Even though HIV and AIDs started to spread across the Blacks in SA in the 90s. Blaming the Aparthied government is an easy excuse. The real reason is because of the their sexual behavour.

Also they need 12 years of high crime rate to get over the Apartheid? Is that what you are going to say to the dead somalis? "I'm sorry but they monkeys haven't gotten over the Aparthied".

They should be lined up against a wall and shot. Oh wait thats genocide. So how about they all get moved into Namibia and put mines on the border so that they don't try to cross it.

Will that easy your mind?

me   

^^Listen here, I am against unnecessary cruelty. If you are saying lets go there kill them and take over their land, then I am down. Otherwise why waste bullets?

Naden   

Originally posted by HeroOfCanton:

Also they need 12 years of high crime rate to get over the Apartheid? Is that what you are going to say to the dead somalis? "I'm sorry but they monkeys haven't gotten over the Aparthied".

^ Attention seeking in an adult is a pitiful sight. Instead of spewing this shuban, crack open a book and add some depth to your non-existent knowledge. :rolleyes: