Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Chronic State Of Ennui

NG,

It could be the worse. It could be the opposite. You could be going through an 'emotional blip' that can be measured on the Richter magnitude scale and is characterised by random panic attacks and an overwhelming sense of loss and sadness. A State Of Ennui would be, in this case, just what the doctor ordered, wouldn't it?

Life is grand, my dear. A'H.

Miriam1   

something was bugging me about this thread, almost like it reminded me of something! and it was this poem, hit me just now.

Life, friends, is boring. We must not say so

Life, friends, is boring. We must not say so.

After all, the sky flashes, the great sea yearns,

we ourselves flash and yearn,

and moreover my mother told me as a boy

(repeatedly) 'Ever to confess you're bored

means you have no

Inner Resources.' I conclude now I have no

inner resources, because I am heavy bored.

Peoples bore me,

literature bores me, especially great literature,

Henry bores me, with his plights & gripes

as bad as achilles,

Who loves people and valiant art, which bores me.

And the tranquil hills, & gin, look like a drag

and somehow a dog

has taken itself & its tail considerably away

into mountains or sea or sky, leaving

behind: me, wag.

John Berryman

Urban   

Funny thread.

I bet you haven't done the music instrument thing yet..

Buy an electric guitar Jimi Ngonge, and if you have a garage you can start the first somali rock band with your kids, the Dugsi Of Rock!

ARF152.jpg

AYOUB   

Ngonge what you're suffering from is not "summer blues" but "kibir blues". An old bluesman named Leadbelly used to dedicate a song called Good Morning Blues to materially comfortable white man's (read basal-eater in this instance) problems and it goes like this...

Well, good morning blues, blues how do you do

Well, good morning blues, blues how do you do

I'm doing all right well, good morning how are you.

I couldn't sleep last night, I was turning from side to side

Oh Lord, I was turning from side to side

I wasn't sad, I was just dissatisfied.

I couldn't sleep last night, you know the blues walking ‘round my bed,

Oh Lord, the blues walking 'round my bed

I went to eat my breakfast, the blues was in my bread.

Well good morning blues, blues how do you do.

Well, good morning blues, blues how do you do.

I'm doing all right, well, good morning how are you.

Zafir   

^^Waaryee, The man is as old as water, maxaa weeye this basal-eater nonsense aad la daba dhigatay, afka hagaajiso huuno. Waa sax maaha.

As for the topic, hit your local marfishes and take up dabaka-eri yaa akhii.

NGONGE   

How many times I wondered

It still comes out the same

No matter how you look at it or think of it

It's life and you just got to play the game....it's raining all over the world

rain.gif

NGONGE   

^^ It seems all I needed was to change the layout of my office, saaxib. A touch of feng shui does wonders. :D

Still, as I was doing it there was an emergency fire drill and we had to leave the building. When we returned, I found people outside my room and they were all wondering who trashed the place. :D

Talking of fire, I wonder if my mate (the phantom fire starter is reading this. Gave me a great chuckle yesterday). :D

N.O.R.F   

^^There you have it. You can design the homes of all those odayaal iyo islaamo. I can see it now:

Ng: Eedo, naqshadaa ka waran? :D

Sometimes it is good not to participate ..... you need to just read and act.

That is what i'm doing with this topic since it is started .. :D

Kashafa   

Ngonge,

You may have started this thread in half-jest, but I believe what you call, ennui, is a serious problem afflicting not only you but many other Somalis/Muslims with too much leisure time, disposable income, and aimlessness on their hands.

Hadaba, I am volunteering my services as a board-certified Quack to help diagnose and treat this entrenched malady. Gimme a second while I.....

* furtively sneaks into E-Nuuri Softwaano Hospital, where the renowned Heart Surgeon, Nuur-ka Nuur-kiisa, is based. Breaks into the personal office of the great Diktoor Nur himself, steals the white coat, the big okiyaal, and the cimaamad*

.....and we're all set. Commencing diagnosis:

Here's how I see it: You've achieved your lifelong ambition of: a) wearing a suit to work. b) having your own cubicle. You've got the career, the family, the house, the car. You've managed to grow a respectable pot-belly, the envy of all your peers. And finally, just last year, after spending years and years as an alien resident in a foreign land, you were granted the elusive Sharci. God Save the Queen. You got it made, mayn. On top of the world and allat hotness.

But now that ur at the pinnacle of success, now that you have actually peaked, you're thinking to yourself: "This isn't what it's all cracked up to be. I'm feeling empty. As if there's this big huge void, a ball of darkness inside me."

And so you trudge on with life, trying this thing and that, far too secure in ur comfort zone of mediocrity, unwilling to make the necessary changes needed to treat this disease(which we shall name shortly). What ails you, Mr. Ngonge, and many of us, is a two-pronged assault by the massed forces of ghaflah & dunya'jacayl and of complacency & resignation

43_36.gif

If anyone withdraws himself from remembrance of ((Allah)) Most Gracious, We appoint for him an evil one, to be an intimate companion to him

Ghaflah, that cruel monster that begets a thousand baby monsters who torment your every waking hour. And so, ur every step and every thought is bedeviled by the Devil himself. Boiled down to it's simplest form, this is the source of ennui, of depression, of aimlessness. But glad tidings awaits, there is a cure for every curse, a antidote for every poison:

13_28.gif

Those who believe, and whose hearts find satisfaction in the remembrance of Allah. for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction

Qalbi qalalay biyo in lagu waraabiyo ayoo raboo. Ennui and what not is nothing but a desperate cry for water from a parched heart. Qalbiga iyo Roox-ka(the Soul) waxay kuleeyaheen: "Waraa, Jinoole, inta aa gardening, iyo Yoga iyo balaayo baas aa ku jirtid, war haraad iyo oon aa la dhiman rabnaa, war biyo baynu rabnaa, nagala soo gaar, balo ku qaaday"

Athiga'na naf waxaa ka raadinee mafrish lagu qayilo ama minyaro lagu qabto ama sheesha la cabo. Waraa cilada xagaa ma ahan, cilada is inward.

Taa waa hal qodob(remember we said two-pronged). Qodob'ka kale, complacency & resignation, waxaa inoo fasiraayo nin xakeem oo la dhihi jiray Thoreau, who perfectly encapsulated the sorry existence of most human beings when he said:

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them

another version:

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation

The powerful phrasing bal feeri: Quiet desperation. You're desperate, every fiber of your conscious is begging for release from this routine of hoarding, of greed, of tartan dunyawi. This empty life you lead bereft of authentic meanings of honour & dignity, of service & protection, of duty & dedication is suffocating, so you scream out, in the middle of the night: "Let me be. Release me. This is not what I signed up for. This is not Gobonimo. This is not Ic'laa kalimatillah. This is not Halgan & Xornimo. I want out. Give me Free!!!" But even then, it is a muted muffled cry. Nobody can hear it, not even you yourself, caught in the sticky web of this world as you are. And so, you resign yourself to a lifetime of resignation, of giving in to the status quo, of surrendering your mind and soul.....to fit in...or even just to live. The ideals of your youth dangling out there on yonder horizon, not quite out of reach, a grim witness, every day, to your capitulation.

Diagnosis almost complete, we now will explain the course of treatment needed to slay this beast, and we'll also prescribe the medication, all that tommorow, right here from E-Nuuri Softwaano Hospital by your Quack M.D., Kash-$$$-Moni.

to be continued.........