Sign in to follow this  
Animal Farm

Mogadishu University Ranked Top 100 in Africa

Great news, runtii. Both my sister and brother-in-law are administrators there.

I was there in 2003, when they were building one large campus located outskirts of Xamar.

nyro_05-06.gif

This corridor was only darbi iyo shub taag taagan when I visited on that day. It was also where we were, showing this American guy around, when the guards of constructed building and the guardian staff who came with us collided, with tensions and heated arguments immediately apparent. It was a daymare on that day. How easily some gun-toting maryooleey like to have a little action with no reason. They have no respect to those who hired them and are still supposedly their employers.

Sky   

That doesn't surprise me. Mogadishu University is the most advanced higher educational institution in the Horn of Africa with the exception of the University of Addis Abeba. Quite impressive for a school in a chaotic and anarchic setting. The Managers of MU must have done some serious networking and lobbying to keep this school afloat for the students in dalka hooyo.

As always South Africa dominates the top rankings. :rolleyes:

Salaam,

splendid ,lemme tell ya right now,That's something to be proud of.

Postive commitment = positive results

Surely there are Unsung Heroes behind the scene, Congra, Congra, You cannot believe how deep negative attitudes of that broken country "somalia" is at the moment consuming and Psychologically affecting our kid's outlook in life! I mean those in diaspora - as peer pressure level, "it's distrubing" so let us see a positive things coming out of the country other than WarLord Fulaan and WarLord Cilaan.

Mahad Ilaahayba iska leh

NGONGE   

Ain Shams at number 100? :eek:

HELWAN UNIVERSITY at 87?

Both these, in their time, were centres of excellence in the Arab world. Wonder what happened to put them down that far in the list!

It’s also quiet amazing that the University of Mogadishu would outdo many other African Universities when one considers the criteria being used to decide the rankings! Very impressive indeed!

The Methodologies Adopted in the Ranking of World Universities:

1. Universities' research out.

2. Quality of graduates and the stages of their knowledge.

3. Facilities provided by the universities in their fields of work.

4. Their contributions to the modern knowledge.

5. The extent of their technological access.

6. The presence of the universities on the World Wide Web and their use of the Information Technology.

7. Studies and materials published on their sites as well as the number of in-link visits.

8. The performance and clarity of their messages as institution on the web.

Source

Baashi   

WoW.

Imagine the wonderful things that can happen when we attain peace, stability, and prosperity.

How come I didn't hear this excellent school all this time?

AMAZING!, just amazing. I didnt know there was dat kinda of progress back home. I mean all I hear about is maryooley slaughtering each other. brothers&sisters, thank your for posting this topic, it has definetly gave hope to my ultimate dream of going back home and teaching at a college level. am definetly getting my PhD and my teaching license!

------------------------------

The battle to be da best has just begun

I was supposed to have attended Whitewaterstrand univ in S.Africa. Great school.

Lets receive this news with applause,but leash the celebratory patriotism to a sane a level,shall we? ;)

The univ of Mogadishu is a new and privately owned institution. Therefore it has modern ammenities that are lacking in many old African universties.[Run by states that are corrupt mind you].

Also Pilfering of funds by corrupt civil servants , gross mismanagement , negelecting infrastracture among many factors, lead to the deteriorating state of many great African Universities. icon_razz.gif

Ali Dheere is a cousin to that well-known somali lawyer in Kenya-Ahmednassir Abdullahi.

He teaches one of those kenya Univesities, has law firm, Chairperson - Law Society of Kenya (Mar 2003 - ) Chairperson - Kenya Anti-Corruption Advisory Board(I'm so glad that he resigned from this position after he clashed with the president). I should be proud of this young somali fella *Tough dude, you should have seen him on Cross-fire discussion*

AYOUB   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

It’s also quiet amazing that the University of Mogadishu would outdo many other African Universities when one considers the criteria being used to decide the rankings! Very impressive indeed!

Top 80 is very impressive especially when nearly 30 universities ranked above it are from South Africa.

"World Universities' ranking on the Web" ... the key word is "WEB". Nothing about academics. :D

Pay attention boys. :D

This ranking is just based on the universities' "web presence" only.

This is how they calculated the rank based on the University's website.

Size

Number of pages is calculated using four engines: Google, Yahoo, MSN y Teoma. For each engine, results are normalised to 1 for the highest value. Then for each domain, maximum and minimum results are excluded and every institution is assigned a rank according to the combined sum.

Visibility

The total number of unique external links received (inlinks) by a site can be only confidently obtained from Yahoo and MSN only. For each engine, results are normalised to 1 for the highest value and then combined to generate the rank.

Rich Files

After evaluation the “academic†relevance and the volume of different file formats we considering for our purposes the following 'rich files':

RANK = 2 * Ranking(Size) + 4 * Ranking(Visibility) + 1 * Ranking(Rich Files)

MOGADISHU did very well to be on that spot considering the situation in our country.

Moqadisho University is ranked 221st out of of a little more 300 Universites in Africa.

In East Africa they're currenlty ranked 7th.

Nevertheless they are good results as Moqadisho leads 33 East African Uni's who are ranked behind the University of Moqadisho.