Sign in to follow this  
OLOL

Hollywood Somali bloopers

OLOL   

In the Constant Gardner the Masai or the tribesmen in Lake Turkana are speaking Somali as they run away from a raid..

See tahay, kaalay aabo, ka joog , waryaa ...ka bax ...Somali phrases are thrown out as the language of the native nomads.....

In the movie Dirty Pretty Things .they had a Somali family ...they were speaking Somali but some of the characters were not Somalis at all. They had no Somali features.

We are all familiar of Black Hawk Down. It was totally the biggest blunder of Hollywood.

Someone has to educate Hollywood.

Cara.   

I thought I was going crazy with the Constant Gardener; straining my ears, wondering if I really heard Somali.

I didn't watch the other two, but I heard about Black Hawk Down having non-Somalis acting as Somalis.

Seems like the two movies should've exchanged expendable African actors.

I heard some people speaking Somali, but my friend said that i was loosing my mind. I just loughed Runtii. It was mad to see somali being spoken in a movie that was not remotely close to to Somalia or Somalis. I guess Holly Wood fancies the Somali Factor since Black Hawk Down generated alot of profits for them.

I m glad u pointed it out. I knew that it was not me loosing my mind. Hehehehehe......

:)

^^^ I second that..I laughed and no one in the cinema was laughing with me. I think the audience were thinking "damn this african dude is laughing..they must be sayin some funy stuff there"

Unexpected I tell yuh :D:D

Maf Kees   

:D @Legend

Hollywood was actually quite exceptional in the 50s. I remember a movie about a lovestory between two Americans on a safari trip in Kenya. They have all these Kenyans working for them as servants and a Somali as a guide. The Atooro of the film starts treating the guide with no respect and the guide furiously stands up and says: I will bring you everywhere you want, but don't you dare talk to me like that ever again. I AM SOMALI! And starts waving provocatively with his hunter's rifle. I assumed he was Kenyan till then, I was totally flabbergasted. Walee didn't see that coming.

STOIC   

Danyeer, I think you are refering to the movie called "Out Of Africa".The movie was a true story based on this Danish Woman in the highlands of Kenya (Ngong area to be exact). The guide name was FARAH (check the Capital on the name :D ).By golly I know the family members of the old guy who live here in the states.I happen to like the part when the Somalis in the city come to Farah for the "Gaarta".Farah managed all the affairs of the farm and he was the closest of all to the white woman.

PS Hollywood wait for me untill I get a three Piece suit like Cuba Gooding Junior.......

Maf Kees   

You mean Meryl Streep 'Out of Africa'. I remember Iman playing the unofficial wife of a British settler and I also recall Farah played by an African-American with an oversized chin. No I think this other movie was absolutely from the 50s and about Americans on safari in north Kenya in supposedly Somali territory looking for big game.

Jaylaani   

Originally posted by STOIC:

Danyeer, I think you are refering to the movie called "Out Of Africa".The movie was a true story based on this Danish Woman in the highlands of Kenya (Ngong area to be exact). The guide name was FARAH (check the Capital on the name
:D
).By golly I know the family members of the old guy who live here in the states.I happen to like the part when the Somalis in the city come to Farah for the "Gaarta".Farah managed all the affairs of the farm and he was the closest of all to the white woman.

PS Hollywood wait for me untill I get a three Piece suit like Cuba Gooding Junior.......

I guess FARAH was a house nigger than smile.gif