Sign in to follow this  
Sherban Shabeel

Plumbing in Somalia?

in Borama, they dig a deep hole in the ground! use it to relief themselves and when its nearing its full capacity, they use a stone to block it!

our people are already struggling with water pumps- due to others denying this right to us. its a long time before we get plumbing and a sewage system!!

^ The last time I was there, they used to get Booyad ( no clue what its called in egnlish) to fill up from the wells in Dhamuug, and Camuud iyo balayga boodhe.

they used to go around to the houses and fill .. Drums of water .. which is used for everything for the entire day.

but i heard that plumbing is now running in parts of the city.

N.O.R.F   

Depends on how new the house is and if the toilets flush etc. Come to think of it, where does it all go? Never really thought about before.

Well in remote, landlocked villages what you would do is dig a huge septic tank for the whole village, and every house would have its plumbing linked to it. So all the waste goes into a big pit below or next to the village. When it starts filling up, trucks come, suck it all up and take it to a chemical station in town to separate water from...well, waste and maybe keep the solid waste as fertilizer.

As for towns settled on rivers or on the seaside (or both), you would have a big sewage system which would take all the used water & waste from houses, pass it through a chemical station for treatment and then flush it into the river/sea.

Xidigo   

Originally posted by -MARX-:

in Borama, they dig a deep hole in the ground! use it to relief themselves and when its nearing its full capacity, they use a stone to block it!

War yaa waa inanka clanlander/Burundiga ah, Boorama faraha ka qaad baad ku idhi oo beenta intaaa leeg eed ka sheegayso jooji.

kolayba intaan ka arkay Hargeysa boqol kiiba way dhaantaaye.

Speaking of Borama, Xigigo, is it true that Borama is an earthquake prone zone? And you get minor tremors on a regular basis? Some1 I was asking about building property there warned me against it.

Xidigo   

^^ Why not waryaa?

I am sure you wouldn't say that if YOUR friend says she is thinking about building a house in Burco. ;)

Originally posted by -Serenity-:

Speaking of Borama, Xigigo, is it true that Borama is an earthquake prone zone? And you get minor tremors on a regular basis? Some1 I was asking about building property there warned me against it.

Yes, it is. Actually, a major earthquake occurred in Borama in 1984. But nothing major since then