Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Table Manners

Good basic table manners are important because they ensure that both guests and hosts are comfortable at the table. Table manners are mostly common sense. Following these will carry you through most common situations from Formal Dinners to a night of poker with the guys.

1. Sit up straight. Try not to slouch or lean back in your chair (even if you are playing cards and don't want you opponents to see your hand).

2. Don't speak with your mouth full of food. Sure, you've heard your mother say it a hundred times, but no one likes to see a ball of masticated meat in your mouth. If you feel you must speak immediately, if you have only a relatively small bite, tuck it into your cheek with your tongue and speak briefly.

3. Chew quietly, and try not to slurp. This is a corollary of rule number 2. Making noises is not only unappetizing, and distracting, but it can also interrupt the flow of conversation.

4. Keep bites small. In order to facilitate the above rules it is smart to keep bite sizes to a moderate forkful. Cut meat and salad so that it doesn't hang from your mouth after you shovel it in. Don't cut all of your meat at one time, this tends to remind people of feeding small children - and the messiness associated with this activity.

5. Eat at a leisurely pace. This rule, besides being good for the digestion, also shows your host that you want to enjoy the food and the company. Eating quickly and running is sign of disrespect for the host, as it shows that your focus is on the food and that you would rather be at home watching the grass grow than passing time with your host.

6. Don't wave utensils in the air, especially knives or if there is food on them. Besides the danger of knocking over glasses, piercing waiters or launching a pea into the eye of your date, this is a sign of over-excitedness that may be unappealing to those present. Earnestness is to be commended, but irrational exuberance goes beyond the limits of good table manners.

7. Keep your elbows off the table. You have also heard this one from your mother, ad infinitum, but in close dining situations it is a vital rule. Elbows take up table space and can be a danger in knocking plates or glasses. Elbows on the table give you something to lean on and tend to lull you into slouching. If you must lean on the table a good tactic is to take a roll or piece of bread into your free hand and rest part of your forearm on the table.

8. Don't Reach. You don't want to get in the way of people either eating or talking. Not only is it as impolite as standing in front of a TV with other people behind you, but there is always the possibility of upsetting glasses or running your sleeve through someone's mashed potatoes.

9. Don't forget please and thank you. These are handy words in most situations but especially vital at the table where common courtesies are noticed by everyone present.

10. Excuse yourself when leaving the table. You don't want people to think that you are tired of their company. If you must leave the table make your excuses somewhat obvious and appear to be pressing. You want to leave people with the impression that you would rather remain at the table talking with them than doing anything else, but the matter at hand is so pressing that it must be attended to at once.

11. Compliment the Cook. Even if the food is perfectly awful say something nice. You don't have to lie, simply find the positive side of the burnt leg of lamb..."Gee, the sauce was sure tasty." It is always pleasant to end a meal on a positive note.

12. Wipe your mouth before drinking. Ever notice that disgusting smudge on the edge of your wine glass? This can be avoided by first wiping your lips with your napkin. (Thanks to Lindy Hill for this contribution.)

Abtigiis   

I was wondering if you need "internet manners" in lieu of this. Sure, you may still be as horribale as you are here on the table. Just beause you preach doesn't mean you practice. Laftaa soo tuur kuwa yidhaa baad iila egtahay. Ama Dhuuxa suxul ku jabiya!! :D

Kool_Kat   

1. Sit up straight.
Badanaa soo dhulka lama fariisano cuntadeena, how can one sit up straight?

2. Don't speak with your mouth full of food.
As long as I am not spoken to, we are cool...

3. Chew quietly, and try not to slurp.
Understandable...

4. Keep bites small.
Try keeping bites small when biting in to laf hilib ari ah...Not that I eat that damn thing...

5. Eat at a leisurely pace.
:D

6. Don't wave utensils in the air,
What utensils? Are fingers considered utensils?

7. Keep your elbows off the table.
Please see #1

8. Don't Reach.
No problem, cuz everything will be on one plate: bariis, hilib, insalaato, moos, basbaas, liin...No reaching needed...

9. Don't forget please and thank you.
For what?

10. Excuse yourself when leaving the table.
WHAT IS THIS TABLE THEY KEEP MENTIONING? DHULKA, DHULKA, DHULKA, WAH!

11. Compliment the Cook.
Only my moms cooking gets a compliment, for everyone else, I cook better than them, so no need to compliment...
:D

12. Wipe your mouth before drinking.
Did they say something about wine? I like my food with isbaramuuto or kooko, thank you very much...

Haye, NGO aad u shaqeysid maa casharkaan kuu soo dhigay? :D

Manners kulahaa? Whose manners? Manners are not universal, kuwaa noo keentayna waa Reer Galbeedka waxooda. Waa isla kuwii same people xaarka iska dhaqin, kaadida tifiq tifiq iyadoo ka lehna surwaalka xirto, iskaba sii dhaaf inay gacmahooda dhaqaan in public washrooms. Waa kuwa kabahooda banaanka kusoo qabeen ku galaayo into their bedrooms. Waa dad dhuusada caadi la tahay, but daacada is no-no. Waa dad sideedan jirkooda waayeelka ah iyo sideed jirkoodaba cunuga yar ah dabagaab isla wato. Waa dad ayeeyda iyo gabdhahee ayeeyda u tahay surwaal isla qabo, isku style ah waliba, tintiina isku si u sameystay, la xaragoonaayo.

What manners are they talking about then?

Cabdow   

Waa dad dhuusada caadi la tahay, but daacada is no-no.

lool...War ninyahow sheekadaas waan fahmi waayey, waliba north american'ka waxaa ka daran european'ka. Kuwaas caado ee latahay ceebtood xitaa maaha, akhasu-naas iyaga eheen ma jiro wallee.

I can't imagine mid i ag fadhiya oo inta uu dhuuso kaga dayaamiyo then weliba iska sii qosla oo hadalkiisa sii wata ,,,, damn it ,,, :D

Kool_Kat   

This one time I was grocery shopping, all of the sudden I hear 'biiiiq, biq, biiiiiiiq'!!! AWHAT? AWHO? AWHERE? Naaga iga horeysay oo iyadana gaariga adeega jiidaneysay, not only did she dhuus, but cambuurka eeba iska sii hurguftay say dhuusada uga baxdo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! W_T_F_F_F!!! Naxdintaa naxay lee, GOSH...Oh yea, and this ESL teacher from my grade 9 oo indhoyar eheed, caadi eeba la eheed...Iyadoo ku agsocoto 'biiiiiq' lee maqlee...Now I am sure some of you afka dadka indhayarta wuu nii uray like baqti, but nothing compares to dhuusadooda... :D

N.O.R.F   

Don't forget to put the handles of your knife and folk at 2 oclock when finished,,,,,,,,

and be ready to explain why you hold the knife with your left and folk with your right,,,,,

Curly   

I used to drive my self made trying to figure out which way round to hold the fork and knife. In the end I went with what was most comfortable, I know you should eat with your right but it's not like you're using your bare hands. :confused:

Abtigiis   

EEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Well, manners was the subject and I see bad manners in different context! How can grown up people talk about such things here! Meesha dad waa weyn baa joogee, hala kala xishoodo!

Away kuwii lahaa tii dheereeyd baa dhici tolow?Feedback la ismaba siinayo?

Haneefah   

^Manners of speech and interaction! Something many could benefit from. Xishoodku wax qalaad buu Soomalida qaarkii ku yahay, Allah hana soo hanuuniyo.

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tolka:

EEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Well, manners was the subject and I see bad manners in different context! How can grown up people talk about such things here! Meesha dad waa weyn baa joogee, hala kala xishoodo!

Dhuusadii maa wax weyn kula noqotay? Caadi waaye, some kimikal gas gadaal ka socoto lee waaye, lagana neefsanaayo. :D

Seriously, wax dhuuso boqolkiiba ka daran laga hadlaa on here daily.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tolka:

Away kuwii lahaa tii dheereeyd baa dhici tolow?Feedback la ismaba siinayo?

Dhuusaa ka fakataa umaleynaa, waala dhuumanooyaa! :D Maxaaba feedback ladhiibaa, 3000 words iyo wax aaba sheegeysee, short story maashee? Half way aanba seexanaa aan umaleyn lahaa...