Sign in to follow this  
Peplow throb

What's your point of view?

Paragon   

ThePoint:
And the UK is decent too.

ThePoint, really? Is that what you think? Well, I guess you haven't been reading the tabloids in the UK. Multiculturalism is really coming across as failure in the area of London I reside. [Read]Near Forest Gate.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Paragon:

quote:ThePoint:
And the UK is decent too.

ThePoint, really? Is that what you think? Well, I guess you haven't been reading the tabloids in the UK. Multiculturalism is really coming across as failure in the area of London I reside. [Read]Near Forest Gate.
Who thinks it's a failure? The average person or racist and prejudiced people? I find it fascinating the reaction that happens when a couple of immigrants commit some crimes - everyone starts questioning immigration, multiculturalism, assimilation etc. Why do people have these distorted expectations and only from immigrants?As if immigrants are supposed to be perfect people.

For me - successful multiculturalism happens when the host society accepts the culture of the newcomers and allows for a space for them in their new homes. That is the case for the majority of immigrants in the UK as far as I know. Businessmen, politicians, actors etc of all hues and origins are a normal part of British public life. That in the main is successful multiculturalism. Granted there are problems, strains and difficulties but one needn't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

N.O.R.F   

The UK is a decent place to live if you live right. You will become agitated at a few things but all in all its a very decent place (apart from the high gun/knife crimes)

Paragon   

ThePoint, I think yours is oversimplication and over-reliance on assumption. It is not racists, immigrants or other disgrantled individuals who find faults in multiculturalism; it is the very people that advocated for it. Just google Sir Tevor's attack on multiculturalism or even kenan Malik's 'the problem with multiculturalism'. FYI, Sir Trevor is the head of the Commision for Racial Equality. Majority of the people may support multculturalism but as things are, and I am assuming you are not in the UK now, multiculturalism is under a strain.

PS: UK 'was' considered decent but not anymore. If anything, everyday, more and more articles suggesting that the problem with 'extremism' lies with multiculturalism. These include academics and social commentators all alluding to the creation of mono-culturalism and iron-out foreign digital ghettos in the UK.

N.O.R.F   

PS: UK 'was' considered decent but not anymore.

Depends how you look at it saxib.

Yes there is alot of negative press and peoples attitudes have slightly altered due to this. But why would anyone care? Depends on how YOU live your life and YOUR attitude towards whats around you. A defeatist attitude is dangerously creeping into the Muslim mentality today.

"That includes members of my own family. Often when I make programmes and talk to people, they didn't watch them because they were too busy watching something on, say, the Islam Channel. People just aren't attuned to British ideas and that's something that has concerned me enormously."

What do they want people to watch? The filthy soaps? The Big Brothers? and all the other dumbed down be part of the sheep stuff?

Al Jazeera and Sky Sports!

Paragon   

^^^ Defeatist? Well, ain't that another simplification and assumption. I am in the UK right now, and considering the occurances of the last three weeks, I am well qualified to claim that the atmosphere has altogether changed for the worse. There is nothing defeatist about stating my observations. So, it is best if do not make sweeping generalizations about 'how' a defeatist attitude is creeping on Muslims. How you came to that conclusion, I don't know but what I know is that as with every thing generalized, it is a wrong conclusion.

N.O.R.F   

^^I wasnt refering to you saxib. I was refering to the 'new' Muslim mentality in the UK. I was there for a month and witnessed the new attitude of 'everything is plotting against us' and 'we cant do anything' etc.

Paragon   

^^ Sxb, sorry to have given you the impression that I took it personal. I was speaking as I did because, with the new social research coming up about 'multiculturalism, it seems issues are going to get difficult for Muslims. It is so bad to be blasted on tabloid as being some sort of terrorists or digital ghetto dwellers but these things that are day in day out makes one wonder where things are going. With the talk of 'controlling', if that is the word to use, what Muslims watch has something more sinister behind it. So sxb, iga raalli noqo if I came across accusing.

ElPunto   

ThePoint, I think yours is oversimplication and over-reliance on assumption. It is not racists, immigrants or other disgrantled individuals who find faults in multiculturalism; it is the very people that advocated for it. Just google Sir Tevor's attack on multiculturalism or even kenan Malik's 'the problem with multiculturalism'. FYI, Sir Trevor is the head of the Commision for Racial Equality. Majority of the people may support multculturalism but as things are, and I am assuming you are not in the UK now, multiculturalism is under a strain.

PS: UK 'was' considered decent but not anymore. If anything, everyday, more and more articles suggesting that the problem with 'extremism' lies with multiculturalism. These include academics and social commentators all alluding to the creation of mono-culturalism and iron-out foreign
in the UK.

Even when things were going well ppl were questioning it - I'm not surprised. But that doesn't mean multiculturalism is a failure or needs to be discarded.

UK 'was' considered decent? Saxiib what has happened in the last few weeks that have caused this radical downgrade?

ElPunto   

^^ Sxb, sorry to have given you the impression that I took it personal. I was speaking as I did because, with the new social research coming up about 'multiculturalism, it seems issues are going to get difficult for Muslims. It is so bad to be blasted on tabloid as being some sort of terrorists or digital ghetto dwellers but these things that are day in day out makes one wonder where things are going. With the talk of 'controlling', if that is the word to use, what Muslims watch has something more sinister behind it. So sxb, iga raalli noqo if I came across accusing.

There's no doubt this is a difficult time for Muslims and others who look 'Islamic' but that doesn't mean that UK is not one of the best places for any immigrant.