Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

ETON'S CALLING!

NGONGE   

BY LYNDSAY EMMETT

10:30 - 11 April 2005

It is one of the most exclusive colleges in the world, with Princes William and Harry among its famous old boys.

Now, Eton is getting ready to welcome Abdi Rahman Sudi into its privileged ranks.

Moat Community College student Abdi, 16, has won a Joe Burrell bursary worth about £27,000 a year to study A-levels at the school, which was founded in 1440 by King Henry VI. His new uniform will be worth more than £1,000.

The scholarship is funded by an anonymous well-wisher.

Now the teenager, who is getting ready to sit his GCSEs this summer, says he cannot wait to start at his new school.

"It is very different," he said. "The biggest difference is going to be boarding there and I will miss my teachers, family and friends."

Abdi will study physics, maths, economics and Government politics.

He had to sit four exams and endure tough interviews to win the hotly-contested place.

Staff from Eton even visited Moat Community College, in Highfields, to get a feel for the place where Abdi was educated.

Abdi and his family have lived in Leicester for almost five years and English is his third language. His mum, Osob, is thrilled with her youngest son's success.

She said: "I am very proud of him. He has worked very hard."

Abdi has his sights set high. "I would like to go to Cambridge University. Then I would like to go into a job in engineering or economics."

Moat principal Freda Hussain said: "I always want our students to do well and when they do, we celebrate their success."

Teacher Mark Mitchley helped coach Abdi ready for his interviews. He said: "The toughest part was getting Abdi to realise how well he was doing. He is very modest. I would ask him questions and ask him how he had done. He would say, 'okay' when he had performed brilliantly."

Old Etonians include a Catholic saint, Prime Ministers, martyrs, famous scientists and explorers and world-famous writers and poets.

Head master Tony Little said: "In a nutshell, we were very impressed with Abdi's determination to do well, and his character. At Eton, he will be boarding with 1,300 other boys and it will provide him with a huge range of choices and sporting and music opportunities, as well as high academic expectations."

547643.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

Dying to make some sort of comment here, but I will not. :D

nafta   

Man the world is very small indeed, Moat Community College also known as MCC is where I took my GCSE's couple years ago and bless that lil guys heart I knew him when he was still chasing the ball round the courtyard....walahi time flies.

Dhalinyarada Leicester meel sare ayee gaaran bless them all. Most of them moved from European countries and are here only for 4 years if not less and their educational achievements has astounded the Gov't.

Somali people are truly gifted and they can realise their full potential if they just set their mind on it. smile.gif

Peace

NGONGE   

^^^ That's the type of future Mr Phanta, that is. If I were a woman, I'd send him congratulations cards, Eid cards, birthday cards. I'll be his pen pal in that lonely school. In a couple of years, he'll be 18 or 19 (six or seven years younger than you?). Jump in, woman. :D

Man, I know this guy. I went to that school too and I knew him very well. He always looked the brighter kid out of his bunch. Well Done to him!!

SeeKer   

Mashallah I hope he does fair well in the college. The challenge should be astronomical not to mention that perhaps the pressure of it all might finally sink in. Keep your eyes on the prize though (If he is reading this).

shyhem   

What the hell is Eton.......Up in here, we call eton the super 10 heavy duty transmission of an 18 wheeler.

Anyway whoever is gonna become a mechanic wish him the best.

STOIC   

I think that is their Havard or Yale.Physics and Economics what a combination! Congrate and good luck!

NGONGE   

^^^ It's not a school in the American sense (as in University). It is REALLY a school (more like high school). His chances of going to an Ivy league uni are increased.

(Yes, I said Ivy league).

shyhem   

^^Ok we are talking about high school.I think i got it.

So what you're saying is, he is in high school and scholarship wise, he is as lucky as a high school football player heading for college,he must be popular then......