Sign in to follow this  
Archdemos

Learning Arabic for beginners

Okay wonderful Nomads of SOL, i have decided to learn the language of Arabic fluently. There are many reasons for my wanting to learn, however the primary reason is for religious purposes.

I went through the customary Islamic schooling as a child and I’m familiar with the alphabet. I can even begin to read, although it’s a struggle. :(

I need a reliable, highly rated tutor/night school, were I can take structured lessons.

Any info sincerely welcomed.

Ps! on a positive note i have many friends i can practise on.

North/central/West london only

Haatu   

Sh Maaddeey does night classes in Southall. He's been teaching me for a while know and I've really improved. Try him. :D

Polanyi   

ASWRB.

You need to buy yourself the medina arabic book 1 and there is a nice basic book buy dr imran alawiye, a nigerian fellow. cheap stuff.

Tayyibun institute is good for beginners arabic. check their website.

If you need private lessons in your area, i can give you the email of an arab sheikh. but don't know if he's still in ur endz.

alternatively, you can sol arabic lessons from muridi, kashafa or maddey. :D

GOVofbladland.com

Haatu   

^ lol @muriidi. Who can understand that guy? :D

Arch, if you're serious, go to Al Sunna masjid (Heathrow Muslim Centre) in Cranford, Hounslow, West London. They run Arabic lessons that are really good.

Living in London, you've plenty of choice, depending on where you want to study/purpose/environment.

If you want a structured, accredited course, I would suggest SOAS http://www.soas.ac.uk/languagecentre/languages/arabic/

Otherwise, evening, dip your toes in the language and explore kind of courses, mostly to get to grips with basic writing and speaking, then try one of the general courses for people who are either just interested in the language or thinking of moving to an arab country

http://www.ihlondon.com/learn-arabic-19/#Arabic%20courses

http://www.cactuslanguage.com/en/languages/arabic/united_kingdom/london.php#part-time_evening_course

Or if you prefer to study in an Islamic environment, try http://www.eaisonline.com/index.html or any of the big Masjids, islamic institutes, esp around east London.

Somalina   

Arch order Arabic CDs from Rosetta Stone, Its more interactive, less memorization and you develop your conversation abilities pretty quick.

The price is steep but well worth it. My 2 cents.

Thanks for all the info guys; I’ve bookmarked quite a few of those websites.

Serenity I particularly liked International House, brilliant structure and just the right environment. I’ll definitely be checking it out after Ramadan, inshallah.

In your experience how long on average does it take to learn Arabic in general? I’m a quick learner and quite a dedicated person once I set my sights on achieving a goal.

Many thanks to those who took the time to posted links and suggestions.

Nina I’m currently downloading Rosetta Stone V3.4.5 Arabic Level 1,2 & 3 Set with Audio, so well on my way. Exciting stuff ladies and gents. smile.gif

its quite complicated, so if it works for me i'll post a detailed step by step guide for you to follow. I'm having a bit of trouble and i'm a seasoned pro at this kind of stuff.

Don't bother with arabic unless you plan on moving to an arab country. You'd be better off acquiring french, russian, or german. Wealth of scholarship and literature. Sometimes I wish I could exchange my proficiency in arabic with another language. Good luck just the same.

Prometheus, try Chinese, its placed to replace English as the lingua franca of the future ;) .

I think Arabic is a beautiful language and as diverse as French or Russian. I dont know why you would think its not?

Arch - if you're good, you should have a sufficient level of proficiency within 6 - 9 months. If you're language challenged (like myself), longer.

Ibtisam   

Archdemos: As it is for religious reasons, dhee dont steal (download) the source you are learning from, barakad aya ka teegi!

SOAS and Zatuun both offer really good course.

SOAS follows this easy to use book which you can pretty much self teach.