Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Back to the Country

Hello Nomads ,,,

U know we live outside of our home country. Most of us (if not all) have another passports but at da end we are all somalis.

We might decide one day to go back to the country ,,,,,,, or things change so that we could be all transferred to our homeland. ,,,

If so, what do we have there. Did we build even small house just in case ???? did we try to establish even small business there for survival ???

If not at all ,,,,, What is our plan for that coz we are not belonged to the countries that we live now ,,,,,,,,, ????

Haddad   

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

Did we build even small house just in case ???? did we try to establish even small business there for survival ???

The answer is no for most people.

If not at all ,,,,, What is our plan for that coz we are not belonged to the countries that we live now ,,,,,,,,, ????

Most have made no plans, as they haven't yet grasped they're sitting ducks in the West. Events and/or circumstances could lead them to concentration camps, deportation to a third country or Somalia itself. Those who are smart have long ago made plans.

I second to what Haddad said most of "us" Somalis in the diaspora (with the exception of the intelligent people in the diaspora) haven't made adequate plans for returning home.

Most of us came here (with the exception of me and other i ought to believe) came here for economcial reasons rather than being legitimate refugees.

It is the mentality of refugees and economical-migrants to keep in their sub-counsiousness that they will be one day returning to their country of origin once they have made a few thousands but then circumstances upon circumstances actually hinder their original plans to stay abroad until they finish their education or make enough money that they forget to make plans for returning home which they truely believe that it will happen one day eventually but however it is not guranteed and after a while a second more westernised generation emerges who does not have any lingustical, cultural nor emotional links with the homeland that they are being reluctant to return home or to even think that they will be returning to their roots one day.

Nevertheless I believe the most bulk of Somalis I've met have actually build houses and set up small to medium-large businesses and I've also seen many returning home after being in exile for up to a period ranging from 20-30years.

On the other hand the political view of muslims and perception in the west is indeed very volatile and the current developments reminds me back to the early and late 30's which found its resemblance in a Anti-Jewish sponsored governmental agenda to make seem the Jewish race like a sub-human one which could be treated as one suits across Europe and indeed the silent majority of Jews were exterminated across Europe and we live in a dangerous climate like this ourselves and without making sense of it we could find ourselves in Guantanimo Bay style concentration camps for the European Muslims.

Pucca   

i dont know where you'll got this "most people" business from but i know several families including mine who have built houses back home or own large peices of land.

Chimera   

In the end, returning home is the most logical option for any Somali person. No matter how hard you work, study and contribute to society, one exploitative/terrorist gang is all it takes for that host country to treat you like an alien, and for everyone to start their psychological babble; is it their culture?, is it their mentality? blablabla. Islamophobia is rising in the west and Somalis because of a few dumb fools now find themselves in the spotlight of every pathetic right wing gang.

Evendo I have never felt any prejudice in either Holland or Britain (since they are in many ways light years ahead of most countries in the west, which in some cases are more tribalistic/ethnocentric than us), I cannot help but feel connected to the backlash Somalis in places like Scandinavia find themselves in(like the Malmo shooter recently, many of his targets were Somali) which makes it hard for me to picture myself raising a family in the west.

The saying; home is where the heart is, fits my sentiment very well. When you live in a country where everybody is like you, there is no fear of a backlash because one group/individual sharing your ethnicity broke the law, there is no prejudice, there is no media harrassment etc.

Somalia is 637657 sq km in size, around 100000 sq km of that is unstable, which leaves another 537657 sq km for us to return to one day.

Somalia is an extremely beautiful country, from her historical heritage, to her epic landscapes, and her many growing cities, the opportunities are endless, if only you manage to shake off all the negative HYPE surrounding it.

Polanyi   

Truth be told, for most of you/us, our kids we will give birth to children in the west . Returning home is a myth that all immigrant communities subscribe to, but only a few ever do.

Blessed   

My link with home is stronger than ever and I now have regular interaction with my lovely family in SL and a strong desire to spend some time with them. I do see myself visiting for longer periods.

As for investment, my family have always been qurbawis and investing in the home land continously for as long as long as I could remember, so that's not new for me, even if you don't make financial gains, your investments (homes, business) tend always benefit your family in some way.

I want my children to grow up Somali as my father wanted us to grow up Somali and that means regular visits home. However, SL does lack a lot of facilities, so I won't out right move there for now but Insha Allah, meel dhulka hooyo dhaanta majirto.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Polanyi:

Truth be told, for most of you/us, our kids we will give birth to children in the west . Returning home is a myth that all immigrant communities subscribe to, but only a few ever do.

In the Somali situation, the above is non-applicable, there has been conflict continuesly since they arrived in those host countries. Many however have in recent years returned to places like Puntland and Somaliland to live, invest etc.

Chimera   

Originally posted by *Blessed:

[QB] My link with home is stronger than ever and I now have regular interaction with my lovely family in SL and a strong desire to spend some time with them. I do see myself visiting for longer periods.

As for investment, my family have always been qurbawis and investing in the home land continously for as long as long as I could remember, so that's not new for me, even if you don't make financial gains, your investments (homes, business) tend always benefit your family in some way.

I want my children to grow up Somali as my father wanted us to grow up Somali and that means regular visits home.
However, SL does lack a lot of facilities, so I won't out right move there for now but Insha Allah, meel dhulka hooyo dhaanta majirto.

That is the main problem, I remember reading about a Somali organisation called SomScan and they managed to create 400 homes for Somalis from the diaspora who wanted to return to Burao, but the place lacked many important facilities such as healthcare, a continues source of clean water etc, etc and this was somewhere in the early 2000s, now the area has managed to contruct many health facilities and continues sources of clean water. The skilled Somali returnees should establish these facilities, so be the spark!

Blessed   

There's steady improvment in the education sector but health care is incredibly poor which is a worry when one has young children. I can't be the spark there, I don't have the capacity but I agree it's important to be part of the solution rather than complain and put your feet up.

There's amazing development in all the other sectors, telecommunication in particular which is due to the contribution of home grown professionals as well as those from the diaspora and I know there are a lot of projects in the works as I type this. Insha Allah khayr..

Chimera   

Ofcourse it should be a group effort, but it usually starts with one individual, and sometimes its only one individual who does everything, see this brother, he built schools, farms, hotels, cheese/meat processing facilities, health facilities etc all in the vicinity of Mogadishu:

Tropical Village

moqdisho1.jpg

muqdisho3.jpg

muqdisho8.jpg

208bogm.jpg

29oquc0.jpg

2lw7qch.jpg

14d1wte.jpg

20p3jw8.jpg

http://tropicalvillage.net/