Sign in to follow this  
Katrina

An Open Letter to Maryooleey

-Lily-   

I used to be told that qabiil was an issue of old Somalia and that people who were raised in western countries, especially young generations were not interested in such things. Was I wrong or what. My first day in high school was right after we moved to England. The head of year assigned me to a Somali girl from another class to show me around the school. First thing she asked me before my name was what 'qolo' I was. Confused 12 year old me thinking, what is she on about? Then she asked me what qabiil I was. I told her I would need to check with hoyo and get back to her. I mean this was a 15 year old girl. My family was never into tribes, my parents did't feel the need to brainwash us of how superior we are to everyoen else. It would have been hard to critisize anyone as we almost have every tribe in our family. I think that helps too. This is not to say I have never overheard an aunt or a fam friend making sweeping statements such as 'aqas typical tribe X'. Defending these kind of ppl always had me termed 'fish & chips' with no clue.

Castro , I went to one of those fundraisers, whilst I was supportive of the notion, I kept asking how many high schools are there in the region? Apparently 4. Ok, how many hospitals? Scilence...surely a hospital is more important than a university...scilense. And this is in a region where there is not 1 hospital and you hear of horrific deaths that could have been easily prevented.

Another case here in London, last year where a 30 year old family friend of the victim picked her up on her way from school and raped her. The 15 year old girl was living with relatives at the time. The police was called only to be told soon after that the 'community' would deal with it to find the guy, that they would get back to the police & would not be filing a complaint at the present.

Suprise suprise, his clan came with money & apology, requesting that his future be not ruined, I mean the nerve of it! They were from the same clan & the relatives accepted the apology. They even offered to marry the girl. These kinds of things are sweapt under the carpet all the time. I heard that the girl has become a run away and is now living in a foster home. It's sad to pretend that clanism is a thing of the past. It's well & living, fed by parents/aunts/gradnparents on a daily basis.

As for Sangub, I don't think anyone apart from family should be supporting him until he is proven guilty or innocent. I mean why the blind support? He could well be guilty, as I suspect. As Muslims we are required to speak the turth, even if it is against ourselves. Allah knows best.

Modesty   

Yes, I agree that our culture silences women, it seems like these people who are supporting Sangub, they are telling all women that the man is right and you are wrong. I'm not trying to sound like a radical feminist, but the matter is quite apparent. The man admitted to groping the girl..that is enough for me to conclude that he did more than that with the girl. I know many somali girls that were molested as young girls often by close family members, but when they told grown ups, no one believed them. They accused them of lying and even hallucinating. What kind of sickness is that? Quite sick. I'm sure this girl has become a heroin for the many girls out there who are scared to come out and accuse their rapists because of fear of being shamed in the community. I support her, not because she is a woman, not because of her qabiil, but because I don't think she would come out like that to simply destroy a man's character, but to seek justice. However, the court is to decide in the end.

Rowda   

"War dadkaan Sangub ayaa lagu sixray. No wonder the other thread was "parked" in the office section to thaw the nerves". [Rowda, that thread wasn't deleted.]

Marka hore waadmahadsan tahay walaalo.

Ninyahow masidan daacad bey kaa tahay mise anaa fahmin?? Walaahi walaalo miyaadan axrin the police report?? Sangub manalugu sixrine ilmo yar ayuu kufsaday, hadii aanan la'isindha saabeyn dee.Maxkamada waxa kadhacayo siduu ilaahay qoray but that doesn't mean ma'ahan wuxuu sameyey. Subxaana laah, walaahi dadkaan in karbaash lala dhaco mo'oyee sikale waxkuma fahmayaan :D

"Dad qaarkood meel baa gubaneyso because Sangub magaciis ayeeba maqli la yihiin".

Indhasaab (blind support) I would say. No one cares about old somalimens name kuwii yaryaraa baaba maara loowayey ;)

"Sangub waa abwaan Soomaaliyeed, waa odey Soomaaliyeed. Waxaan la sheegaayo dhaqan Soomaaliyeed ma'aha, hadee jirtana maxkamadaha u daaya [xataa maxkamada gaalo ha ahaatee]".

Car yaanan soomali arkin oo yaabin, hada maxaa iishaygaysaa in odey weeye lagudaayo. is that your defense?? thank God we here in America and sheekada wadan keena lagusoo gubay kama shaqaynayso (no laaluush pleas)!

Maxaa naga quseeya hadii fanaaniinta oodhan ay support gareeyeen, cajaa'ib walaahi.

Maskiin iga raali ahow laakiin meel xunbaad taabatay.

I for one know atleast 10 somali girls oo lafara xumeeyay way before the civil war and after, so please dont say this doesnt happened, just say you dont no anyone ayku dhacday simple.

Iam just little puzzled people.....Everyone who replied to this post and that includes me sort of indicated that they are not tribalist N that's all good. Now the question is we ain't da hardcare qabiilists maryooley...who is?...n mind you we are good sample atleast to an extent of the larger somali people population that could used to measure our qabillist tendencies. What are the chances of this many Non-qabillist maryooley meeting in one place?.

Katrina   

^I agree we represent a decent slice of the pie. You should be puzzled. You've brought up a valid point sxb. Its not fashionable to be qabiilist now a dayz, at least not a blatant one. The diaspora has forced many qabiils to live and work side by side. Also more maryooleeys have returned to the true Islam making hard core qabiilist harder to identify but they are hidding amongst us in life and on SOL. It's a fact of life. Every Somali person (at some point in life) has used qabiil to judge others or has been judged by others because of qabiil mentality. I've been on both sides. Sxb, I have to run but I'll be back. How about you? How much does qabiil determine the way you viewe ppl in your life? On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate yourself? Don't even think of choosing 1 coz no somali is qabiil free!

Castro   

^ With qabiil, I'd rather be below zero. Wouldn't you? And yes, I'm willing to part with all the "good" aspects it provides. I really can do without them.

Foxy   

people of SOL Qabiil is good for You if it does the following things for You:

-Gives You money when you need to fight with other qabiil members

-Supports You unconditionally

-Protest and lobby for your innocence ( even though You are guilty as Hell)

On the other Hand if It doesnt do Jack for You, then You are not at loss

cheers

Well Kat.....I was qabiilist and for good reason. As kid who saw the horrors of 91, everyone was forced to choose side and Hate the other side. Period, it is hard to like or respect the people who want to cut off your neck literally, or who rape your women not even leaving your 70 years granma. Before the war, I didn't know my qabiil and as kid who was born in Xamar, it didn't really matter to us. My ciyaal xaafad were more important to me than my qabiil, but sadly the very ciyaal I used to hang out with were calling me "Fa-q-ash" came 1991 and wanted my throat slit. Through experiences i do only came to dislike or even hate certain segments of Somali society soley based on their Qabiil background.

Lucky for me, I grew older and wiser, and came to find out all Somalis were the same. Every Somali that took part in the massacres of innocent maryooley from Hargeysa to Kismayo can't tell why is that they had to murder their fellow Somalis and those in Xamar were no diffirent. I doubt anyone of them knew why he or she would want me dead considering the fact that I have never harmed anyone in my life and I was no fan of the Barre regime. Somalis have mob mentality. We need to break away from that and become our own individuals.

Originally posted by
Che-Guevara
:

Iam just little puzzled people.....Everyone who replied to this post and that includes me sort of indicated that they are not tribalist N that's all good. Now the question is we ain't da hardcare qabiilists maryooley...who is?...

*Points Che towards the politics forum*

Over there, luv ----->

-Lily-   

Che, I agree laakin I was never raised in Somalia and I have never wittnessed a gun being shot. So everyone is different. Had I been in someone else's shoes I may have been different.