Sign in to follow this  
uchi

Californian teacher with Somali muslim girls that needs assistance...

uchi   

Here is a copy of her email:-

I just took a position in El Cajon, California (east of San Diego) as a teacher to a group of 23 Muslim all-girl students, mostly from Somalia, ages 9-12. I'm wondering if your organization can direct me to some website resources to educate myself about my group? Also, I am very, very interested in connecting with another class with similar dynamics to establish a pen-pal letter writing activity. If you have any ideas, please call or e-mail! I am a bit desperate, I have jumped into this position after the former teacher quite with no time to prepare, and school must go on!

Sincerely,

Cari Harner

------------

While i forward this to some Somali communties in that area, it would be nice if you could help her directly with some info, pm me if you are sincere, and i will give you her contacts.

Thanks

S.O.S   

Dear sister,

The only source, acceptable to US education authorities and at the same time popular with teachers, that I can think of at present is this SITE.

I also know some other usefull sites and books, but I can't remember their titles now. I'll let you know if I can come up with other materials.

Keep us in touch!

Love the pen pal idea. Mention it to kids u know who study with other Somalis and spread the word. A teacher out there may be interested in being part of this. The further away from California, the better for the kids.

The San Diego Unified School District(SDUSD) on Normal Street should be able to help you out in this situation.

I know for sure that SDUSD has several schools with large number of somali students. For example my old elementary school in City Heights was over 80% somali, so i bet the teachers there know a thing or two about teaching somali kids.