Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

Attention Parents and future parents

Sounds like typical teenage antics. I'm of the firm believe that teens should be sent off for national service or at least to boot camp between the ages of 14-19. Beat some discipline into them. Or just beat them. Whatever works.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Cara.:

^I've always wondered if these pictures are booking photos
:D

Wow, but then again with all these rubbish stories about Somali boys being the soldiers of the Anti-Christ and blowing a hole in the Ozone layer, i'm not suprised this lurked in the back of your mind.

SeeKer   

^ You are awfully sensitive lately. Something the matter?

Valenteenah lol I take it you believe in spare in spare the rod spoil the child icon_razz.gif

Chimera   

The generalisation of an entire generation based on a group of boys exchanging fists(OMG!) or yelling at a biker (LMAO!) wasn't enough, now you attempt to psycho-analyse a random internet figure?

Figures.

Hales   

I agree with Almaggan Somalis are doomed peope and have surpassed gyspyness and are at the brink of self destruction.

Prince@ there is no generalizations here my friend, edit it, before the feminists take advantage of this wonderous oppurtunity to bulldoze and lick you clean out of this thread.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Chimera   

Piss off with your red emoticons, if you want to complain about your own personal failures sit with Jeremy Kyle. Don't think i won't call out the boohooshit of this cyber-self-depreciating-masturbation going on here that demonizes an entire population who are majority productive citizens. There is a difference between constructive criticism and straight up poppycock generalisations through illogical stories starting with ''i saw this, i saw that'' or ''i know someone'' etc:

Minnesota

** More than 1,000 Mexican-American businesses operated in Minnesota, generating an estimated $200 million in sales; while Latino workers employed in south-central agricultural industries added nearly $25 million to the local economy, according to a 2004 report by the Minneapolis Foundation.

** More than 16,000 Asian-Indians living in Minnesota accounted for $500 million in consumer purchasing power, paid $5.2 million in real estate taxes and $2.3 million in rent, and owned 400 companies that employed more than 6,000 people, according to the same report.

** Minnesota was home to 60,000 Hmong, whose businesses generated an estimated $100 million in revenue, according to the same report.

** Minnesota is home to the country’s largest Somali population, which numbered roughly 15,000 people as of 2002. Somalis in Minnesota accounted for $164 million in buying power and owned 600 businesses as of 2006.

link

Columbus

It has been reported by The Star newspaper, that, “the Somali people have the highest buying power among all African immigrants of Greater Columbus—more than $200 million annually—compared to the purchasing power of all other Africans combined. The Star, also details that over 7,000 Somali students are in accredited institutions of higher learning—the majority of Somali students are pursuing academic programs in the nation’s top five majors—accounting, business, engineering, finance, and medicine.

link

Hales   

** More than 1,000 Mexican-American businesses operated in Minnesota, generating an estimated $200 million in sales; while Latino workers employed in south-central agricultural industries added nearly $25 million to the local economy, according to a 2004 report by the Minneapolis Foundation.

** More than 16,000 Asian-Indians living in Minnesota accounted for $500 million in consumer purchasing power, paid $5.2 million in real estate taxes and $2.3 million in rent, and owned 400 companies that employed more than 6,000 people, according to the same report.

** Minnesota was home to 60,000 Hmong, whose businesses generated an estimated $100 million in revenue, according to the same report.

** Minnesota is home to the country’s largest Somali population, which numbered roughly 15,000 people as of 2002. Somalis in Minnesota accounted for $164 million in buying power and owned 600 businesses as of 2006.

link

Columbus

It has been reported by The Star newspaper, that, “the Somali people have the highest buying power among all African immigrants of Greater Columbus—more than $200 million annually—compared to the purchasing power of all other Africans combined. The Star, also details that over 7,000 Somali students are in accredited institutions of higher learning—the majority of Somali students are pursuing academic programs in the nation’s top five majors—accounting, business, engineering, finance, and medicine.

Impossible.. :eek: :eek:

i Kid.

:D

there is something wron with how your taking this thread, your being too sensitive to the criticism layed out by the poster, and not looking at what the thread is about as a whole which is not about sayin Somali youth are all ruined.

Apparently you havent read this part.

An hour and half later as people walked out of the graduation ceremony that was 90% Somali (a charter school)

I never thought I would see the day that a Western graduation stage would be filled with Somali girls and boys and the highest GPA is held by a niqabi girl."

Anyways how did you figure out the Mad emoticons was aimed at you? my paragraph doesnt connect with it at all.

Chimera   

Ofcourse i'm sensitive, god forbid the day i'm not. That still does not diminish the point that i'm conveying and why the use of individual personal stories as sticks to beat the Somali community with won't lead us anywhere.

I have nothing against Seeker but usually people who create these type of topics have a similar modus operandi. For example if you asked wether this issue applies to their immediate family then the answer 9 out of 10 times = no the children of my family are great. Same with topics slandering Somali men or women, ask the same question and the answer = my sisters are masha-allah not like the ones from my stories, or my brothers are respectful and kind, unlike the males from my stories etc. It's a simple superiority complex towards one own community.

There are enough sinister characters of non-Somali origins pidgeonholing the Somali community and putting them into neat little boxes through generalisation and mis-information, why should we add to this instead of correcting it?

SeeKer   

^ahem....you accuse me of the same thing you are doing when you pigeonhole me as people who create these type of topics have a similar MO.........and its a simple superiority complex towards one own community.

I understand your grievance with my query because I once stood where you are standing. It is difficult to have an objective perspective when you are emotionally tied to a topic. Self reflection and self criticism are the only way a society rights the wrongs that they have committed. You ask why I criticize when there are plenty of sinister characters of non-Somali origins doing it? Perhaps because I don't want someone else diagnosing my patient when I am a doctor myself.

Ngonge, are you suggesting that we should wait till the problems get bad to tackle the problem? The topic is aimed at both present and future parents because it is the same reaction that I meet whenever I talk to the older generation (no offense) icon_razz.gif They simply believe the problem will resolve itself. I just want to know who is this mysterious figure who will solve this problem if not ourselves :confused:

As for the stories you posted yes definitely we hold purchasing power and we hold degrees and what not but like I said we also have a perfect bad apple being advertised everywhere we go. I will illustrate this, recently the U of M did a study and asked campus students about region around campus. The campus is both on the East and West bank. The students weren't told what the study was about but what the study showed was that over 80% of the student respondents associated cedar riverside area with crime-somalis-lawlessness whilst associated the area across the bridge as peaceful. For those unfamiliar with the area there is no border in that area. It is all one but to the U of M students there is a stark border redface.gif

Historically this behavior has happened to another immigrant group in MN;the Hmong. It is a period we will go through as a community and hopefully if we are active in stemming the blood trickling out now we can live for another day.

NGONGE   

^^ You're being stubborn, Seeker. I acknowledged that problems do exist already. I simply believe they are not as bad (community wise) as you believe. For every drunk, we have a thousand sober people. For every drug addict, we have a hundred mullahs. For every prostitute, we have ten thousand niqaabis. For every unemployed-good-for-nothing-low-life, we have dozens of graduates. This is the reason why I (and the old ones - you cow icon_razz.gif ) believe waiting is the best option. Of course, this does not mean we should not do anything when we can. Many already do (I used to run a Somali youth club once upon a time and when I meet the kids that used to come there now, they still act around me in the same way they did when they were fourteen. They are your age by the way. Some are doing as well as you and some had periods in jail, etc).

Don't panic.

Hales   

There are enough sinister characters of non-Somali origins pidgeonholing the Somali community and putting them into neat little boxes through generalisation and mis-information, why should we add to this instead of correcting it?

Good point, i fully agree.

SeeKer   

Ngonge, lol @ calling me cow. Is that how you greet me these days and to think I was going to buy you icecream at the zoo..... icon_razz.gif

I agree I tend to be stubborn and I have control issues hence why I want to have an attack plan :( I should talk to someone about a big brother/big sister program in the greater TC. I know a woman who does an after school program in Cedar Riverside area and she is mashallah from the older generation. She makes me cry everytime she speaks of what she encounters on a daily basis with the kids she works with.

Inshallah kheyr when it comes to the future smile.gif

Seeker, are you involved in the community center? I volunteered every summer at the Cedar Community Center since I was in high school except the last one. I'm planning on going back. I would like to know if there are other mentoring programs besides the ones going on at Brian Coyle.