Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Do you have a right to judge people?

Shakti   

oh dear.. sorry khary smile.gif

browny, u would know that he is married wouldn’t ya? ;) so he is just like ya, married huh? Does he have “brown” attached to his id 2.. can u verify that 4 me plz ?

"Now,That is judgement right there." duh, which i voted 4.. again nothing is wrong with judging..

Depends on the object you base your judgment on.

..and since i'm avoiding real work ..

You may judge a mass murderer as revolting, but you are probably judging their actions, since with out them acting you do not perceive anything.

so then the point (as mentioned) becomes 'do you have the right to judge peoples actions' ..

That is even worse because the perception of the action depends on your social and cultural values and outlook, so is your judgment actually worth anything? especially to those that share the same base that you judge from.

This is important because the value of a judgment is most typically social, since the social interpretation dictates what we attach to that judgment, i..e its severity. So then you have to wonder how does a society decide what to judge,how to interpret it and what value to place in the judgement..

Khayr   

That is even worse because the perception of the action depends on your social and cultural values and outlook, so is your judgment actually worth anything? especially to those that share the same base that you judge from.

This is important because the value of a judgment is most typically social, since the social interpretation dictates what we attach to that judgment, i..e its severity. So then you have to wonder how does a society decide what to judge,how to interpret it and what value to place in the judgement..

The same base that you judge them from?

Do you mean that we share the same set of values?

An example of 'judging' is seeing an overweight person and calling them 'fat' or telling someone that they are a bad parent or bad employee or a bad muslim etc.

What gives you the right to judge someone else

in their believes and actions?

Ms DD   

Salaam Aleykum Khayr

Are we talking about from Islamic perspective? Cos if we are, then we can judge someone by their actions. However judging someone for the sake of it isnt productive. The intention behind it has to be sincere and in order to avoid being a munaafiq, you yourself should be free of that action.

"O believers, why do you say that which you do not do. It is most hateful in the sight of Allaah that you say that which you do not practice." [61:2-3]

It is the responsibility of a muslim to judge a situation or people and change it (through proper channels:

"Whomsoever from amongst you see an evil he should change it with his hand. If he does not have the power to do this, then he should change it with his tongue. If he does not have the ability to do even this, then he should change it with his heart (by scheming in the eradication of this evil)."

Our deen is naseeha. How can a society change for the better if we dont asses our situations?

Khayr   

What does it mean to Judge someone?

As a practicing and visible muslim, I am constantly being judged. Does the MASS have a right to judge and on what basis? Who gives them the right to judge?

By what faculty do you judge?

Its intelligence that discrens btwn what is right and wrong, good and bad etc.

Intelligence that is inextricably tied to the Divine.