Sign in to follow this  
Johnny B

Egypt Wants to Ban the Burqa, France and Italy Too

Johnny B   

" none other than Sheikh Mohammed Tantawi, the leading religious figure of Al-Azhar, was, just the other day, “reportedly angered” when he toured a school in Cairo and saw a girl wearing “niqab” which means that her face was masked or possibly that she was wearing a full head, face, and body covering.

“Sheikh Tantawi, regarded by many as Egypt’s Imam and Sunni Islam’s foremost spiritual authority, asked the teenage girl to remove her veil saying: “The niqab is a tradition, it has no connection with religion.” The imam instructed the girl, a pupil at a secondary school in Cairo’s Madinet Nasr suburb, never to wear the niqab again and promised to issue a fatwa, or religious edict, against its use in schools. The ruling will not affect use of the hijab, the Islamic headscarf worn by most Muslim women in Egypt.

BREAKING NEWS: A reader has informed me that the Muslim Canadian Congress has just urged that the burqa be banned in Canada. Given Sheikh Tantawi’s statement and the fact that the burqa is also forbidden at Mecca, the Congress argues that it should be forbidden in Canada too."

Source

I know , i know .. not another topic about the "Burka", but this time let us question the Somali Sheiks "wadaad" and their role in the birth of Today's Somali "Burka" phenomena, and their role in it's eventual decline and disappearance.

Who else can persuade and tell those who insist and propagate for introducing the "Burka" to children as young as 8-9 (mini-tents), who else can tell them that "Burka " is not what they think, namely, Islamic?.

Abyan   

Originally posted by Johnny B:

[qb]

Who else can persuade and tell those who insist and propagate for introducing the "Burka" to children as young as 8-9 (
mini-tents), who else can tell them that "Burka " is not what they think, namely, Islamic?.

Mini tent? SOL weey ka soo darooysaa ma is dhahdeen...Intellectual debate xaal qaado.

Johnny B   

Sorry Abyan if you by any means got offended , but resorting to " wee ka soo deroosaa " or " wee u dhamtey mesha" rhetoric is something we can do without.

The question is whose role is it to educate the Somali "Burka / niqaab " wearers of today, if not the " Wadaads"?

^^^Let the ladies wear what they want. Tight jeans or a Burka, the individual should know why they do these things. If one belive its hip, and the other an article of faith, why not let them?

Also why not ban the Bikini, as well? It shows way too much and does not protect the skin sufficiantly, imagine all the skin cancer cases you could prevent by banning such clothing?

Come on...

Johnny B   

Originally posted by General Duke:

^^^Let the ladies wear what they want. Tight jeans or a Burka, the individual should know why they do these things. If one belive its hip, and the other an article of faith, why not let them?

And if it is not?!

Originally posted by General Duke:

Also why not ban the Bikini, as well? It shows way too much and does not protect the skin sufficiantly, imagine all the skin cancer cases you could prevent by banning such clothing?

Come on...

Which Faith does the Bikini go under?. :D

Johnny B   

Che',

Now that was kind of a bit too stretching , yeah ;) .

Adam,

Capitalism redefined?!

Why is everybody digressing ? My question was/is who else will educate the Somali "Niqab/ Burka" wearers of today in not the "Wadads"?

Ibti,

From your stance of " bruka/niqab" is Islamic in contrast to the "Azhar" Imam's stance, One'd be apologized for thinking that you'd make a great student. :D

Ibtisam   

How about they pick up a book, you know the old fashion way. Read, read and read till you are as smart or educated as you want. Miis you think the niqab means they also forget how to read.

Why Somali wadads btw?

Originally posted by Johnny B:

Che',

Now that was kind of a bit too stretching , yeah
;)

Not really-as long as you want to dictate ( and I use the word dictate cuz that would be the implication of any legislation banning burqa)what woman should do with her body. And the funny thing here is Mecca comment, using the same religion that you so despise to support your argument.

Che, stop dodging the question and fadlan inta aa marmarsiyo ii galin, wiilka u jawaab. What are the religious leaders doing to tackle the burka phenomena in their communities? IF they dont educate the young then whose job is it?

Ibti, stop answering question with a question and answer the man.

Johnny B   

^ Ibti,

Who'd you suggest? The Government?

It has always been the Wadads,women turn to in terms of piety and all that comes with it.no?!

Che,

( and I use the word dictate cuz that would be the implication of any legislation banning burqa)what woman should do with her body

Not exactly true.

It's the religiousity of the "Burka/niqab" that is questioned,challenged, The grand-theme against which the ban is called for is ( "Burka/niqab" is Islamic attire, hence demand a devinely respect).

the mundane affairs of clothing is a whole different ball-game.

Ibtisam   

^^You are becoming stuck on me ma istidi berryahan. :D

I did answer him dhee, it is just not the answer he was hoping for.