Sign in to follow this  
QANCIYE

NEW! Google Messanger OUT>>>>>

thanx yall 4 ur welcomez... sorry but i have to tell yall that my somali is not that good so i cant really read somali.... by being here i hope to learn more about my people.... :D

No ads, no pop ups, good by SKYPE - it slows my computer down like a [you get the picture]!

precious_lady welcome to SOL, where we post everyday, you might get fooled if you can't read Somali, but eventually you’ll get it.

Jacpher   

I don't know what Google plans in the future but most of these companies give away all the goodies for free but a few years/months later, they slowly introduce ads, pop ups, etc. Back in the days, Dialpad & Netzero were free & now they ask for credit cards. Saaxiibayaal don’t be fooled. I personally like Gmail though I don't use it often but I dislike the fact you can't send attachments of .exe files. I hope they turn off that feature.

I see some of you are experienced Linux users so let me ask you this. I have an old pc that’s sitting in a closet and I want to put it to work. I think it’s missing a hard drive but I’m sure there’s an extra hard drive somewhere collecting dust. I thought of installing Linux OS and play around & learn the world of Linux. What distribution would you suggest? Recently, I have tried some of the Linux Live CDs, Slax, Knoppix, Beatrl and Puppy Linux. They were very impressive. I actually liked Slax but spend many hours trying to configure some of my hardware.

Castro   

Originally posted by Ducaqabe:

What distribution would you suggest?

Mandrake (now Mandriva) or Suse. The latter if you have the option of both. Avoid RedHat if at all possible. Enjoy.

If I were you, I'd skip Linux alltogether and get a MacMini. With it you'll get FreeBSD based Unix OS and the beautiful graphical interface of Aqua. The very best of home computing.

Either way, Windoze is bad for you.

Runaway.........

Castro   

Originally posted by Haddad:

I see a number of members are familiar with the Open Source software. Let's share our latest screenshots:
[/url]

Haddad, mine is really not open source. While the kernel is unix through and through, the OS is owned by Apple for all the additions they've provided, and you have to buy it. But it is unix.

May be you should create a Tech Corner, like the Troll corner, and be the resident techie there. People can exchange ideas, tips, tricks and solutions. What do you think?

Haddad   

Originally posted by Fidel:

mine is really not open source.

Yours is more than open source; its core is based on the BSDs (mainly Free & Net), whose license is too generous (you can close the source and claim it's yours). Of course, its gui part is closed, however, Darwin (an open source) is based on the core of Mac OS X.

May be you should create a Tech Corner, like the Troll corner, and be the resident techie there. People can exchange ideas, tips, tricks and solutions. What do you think?

I think it should come impromptuely. I am not fond on tantalizing enthusiasms.

Castro   

Originally posted by Haddad:

On a second note, where would a
Tech Corner
be posted?

Why in General of course. The most popular section. It would be a standing topic like Troll, Boredom, Friday and the Funny News. It would have things like: Google comes out with this, Microsoft makes ten trillion dollars last quarter, how to recompile your linux kernel, how to hack SOL, etc...

I was trying to give you an opportunity to start it yourself. I am a techie (to earn a living) but you seem to have a passion for it, you know. ;)

P.S. Everyone should be using Mozilla Firefox for their browsing pleasure. IE is just too tainted and impure. It may even be against the religion.