Sign in to follow this  
rudy-Diiriye

This is what talking about: Somali success

I quit my job around feb 2009...cuz i got tired of dealing with f-ed managers! Working on your own is the best way to go..! check this out.

A visiting entourage wants to learn from the business acumen of some of Minnesota's enterprising immigrants.

By ALLIE SHAH, Star Tribune

Last update: October 19, 2010 - 10:34 PM

Jamal Hashi stood outside the sprawling Karmel Square mall in Minneapolis, surrounded by visitors from Sweden.

They had traveled thousands of miles to learn how he went from struggling refugee to successful restaurateur.

How he opened one restaurant, then another.

How he came up with the perfect recipe to introduce Somalia to the Minnesota State Fair: camel-on-a-stick.

How, the Swedes wondered, can they get in on this?

The commercial success of Minnesota's enterprising Somali community has been noticed in Sweden, which has its own burgeoning Somali population. A delegation of 24 Swedish government and academic officials are in town all week to try to unlock the secrets behind that success and carry them back home.

"It's in our DNA to be entrepreneurial people," said Osman Sahardeed, a native of Somalia who runs a business doing translation. "Since the seventh century, Somalis were dealing with the outside world. They know how to market their skills."

The Swedes' whirlwind tour is hosted by the African Development Center of Minnesota, a nonprofit entity that offers lending and technical help to refugees to start their own businesses.

Seeds of their historic visit were first planted in 2005 when a Swedish professor named Benny Carlson traveled to Minnesota and was struck by the sheer number of booming markets and malls run by Somali-Americans in the Twin Cities.

He vowed to return with a team of government officials to use Minnesota as an example of what can be done in Sweden.

Besides meeting with local Somali-American business leaders, the entourage has met with Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak and other city officials to discuss planning and economic development issues. They'll also pay a visit to the American Swedish Institute and learn about Minnesota's changing demographics from state officials.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/105314968.html

A few of the delegates hung back to admire the long tunics hanging in one shop.
Using the international language of shopping to communicate, they touched the garments. This prompted the shop owner to come forward and quote a price.

:D:D

Chimera   

:D

During the Swedish, German, Norwegian, Dutch immigrations......these Europeans didn't try to assimilate, either. Somali shopping mall? Pffft, my ancestors were so anti-American that they established their own immigrant towns. English? NEIN, my ancestors didn't want to learn the language, so instead they set up Churches that didn't preach in English, schools that didn't teach English, and whole communities where English wasn't spoken, and gladly so. Hijab? Pfft, my ancestors were Puritan English. They could teach Somali's a thing or two about dressing more conservatively/anti-American. Get my point? -
Sohkoh

LMAO@ NEIN! :D