Sign in to follow this  
Goodir

Bank Refuses to Serv a Muslim Women

Goodir   

Woman Claims Bank Singled Her Out For Head Scarf

SAN DIEGO -- A woman who wore an Islamic head scarf to a local bank said she was turned away and singled out, and is a victim of discrimination.

Amal Hersi and her family moved to the U.S. from Somalia in search of freedom. Hersi said she's had the freedom she's wanted, up until last Saturday.

"I felt like a criminal. I felt humiliated. I fell ashamed," said Hersi.

Hersi said she was waiting in line at the Navy Federal Credit Union in Mission Valley when she said she was stopped by an employee.

"So she goes, 'Ma'am, could you follow me?' And at that point I was like what did I do wrong?" said Hersi.

Hersi said the reason was because she wore a traditional Muslim scarf.

"For her to approach me in front of 40 people and they're actually looking at me thinking, you know, what's wrong with her or why is she being singled out," said Hersi.

Even after telling the employee she wore the scarf for religious reasons, she was asked to remove it. She compares herself to any other person wearing a garment, like a Jewish man wearing a Yarmulke or a Catholic nun wearing a habit.

"I feel naked because this is what I know; this is how I grew up. It's my religion," said Hersi.

Many banks have policies like this in order to deter bank robbers, a representative from the Navy Federal Credit Union said.

"In the interest of security and safety for our members and employees, hats, hoods and sunglasses must be removed when entering the branch office," Navy Federal Credit Union said in a statement.

It's a policy that is difficult for Hersi to grasp since she said wearing a scarf is not a choice.

"This is part of my religion to wear this scarf. It symbolizes who I am. A Muslim woman is suppose to be modest," said Hersi.

Copyright 2009 by 10News.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Watch Video

Aaliyyah   

^that's odd no one says remove your hijaab when you enter a bank. I am hijaabi sister and never been in such situation.

"This is part of my religion to wear this scarf. It symbolizes who I am. A Muslim woman is suppose to be modest," said Hersi.

Well said Amal.....May Allah swt bless you.

Anyways, she can easily win this case.

I wish the best for her.

salaam

Abwaan   

This is an unfortunate incident. Well done Amal as things like this may happen and it goes unreported. The world needs to see things like these happening to innocent individuals.

What suprises me though is that I know Amal and how close we are I watch this on the news and did not know before that looooooooooooooool

...........I BELEIVE THIS WORLD IS A GLOBAL VILLAGE NOW.

Aaliyyah   

looooooool Abwaan.....don't feel left out, am sure she meant to tell u looooooooooooooooooooool

Truthfully speaking maybe you guys are not as close as you thought :D

salaam

Abwaan   

Originally posted by AAliyah416:

looooooool Abwaan.....don't feel left out, am sure she meant to tell u looooooooooooooooooooool

Truthfully speaking maybe you guys are not as close as you thought
:D

salaam

Looooooool........Aaliyah I didn't feel left out at all...I blame adduunyo ceyriska iyo noloshaan busy-ga lagu yahay.

Aaliyah adiga war baad iga raadineysaa balse ma xanaaqsani ee waxaan la yaabay sida warku u dheereeyo oo aniga oo inta aan ku ogaan karey aan ogaan karo balse aan ka akhriyey SOL.

Originally posted by TheWayfarer:

Abwaan is duur gal.

[/QB]

Waa runtaa maybe that is why aan u ogaan waayey!