Sign in to follow this  
LuCkY

The Most Expensive ZIP Codes in America

LuCkY   

Forbes

The most expensive ZIP codes in America

Just how tony is your neighborhood? Jupiter Island, Florida ranks No. 1 with a median home price of $5.6 million.

By Forbes

In many parts of the United States, the old real estate axiom "location, location, location" could also be "ZIP code, ZIP code, ZIP code."

When they were first introduced by the U.S. Postal Service in 1963, ZIP codes were intended to make mail delivery faster and more effective. ZIP codes, an aptly coined acronym for zoning improvement plans, quickly developed a different sociological meaning that its creators may never have imagined. Because they often broke down cities and towns along geographical fault lines that separated one neighborhood from another, they became instant delineators of wealth and status.

Today there are tens of thousands of ZIP codes across the country. Some have become fashionable, while others have been relegated to the perimeters of prestige -- or even further down the property pecking order.

Living within a desirable ZIP has its advantages, but it also has some drawbacks; property taxes tend to be higher, and residents usually become targets for every cold-caller and mass-mailer in the country.

Although the list is dominated by California ZIP codes, the Gold Coast of Chicago (60611), where the median home price is $1.39 million, was a close runner-up, as was Purchase, N.Y. (10577), where the median home price came in at $1.348 million. Other New York runners-up include Rye (10580) in Westchester County and Sagaponack (11962) in the Hamptons, both of which ranked in the top 50; their median home prices were below $1 million, at $950,000 and $915,000, respectively.

It may be a consolation to 90210 residents that their ZIP code isn't the only famous one to be excluded: The 2002 median home price on Manhattan's Upper East Side (10021) was $727,500, and in Medina, Wash. (98039), it was $860,000, so neither of those reputably wealthy communities made it to the top.

CLick Here For The List

OG Moti   

Zip codes and expensive? what u think about this on 00855 dont that look coool, it is the cambodian zip code and i just think it should be the most expensive cause it took most of my life... smile.gif peace

OG Moti   

looool nuune, man u dont believe me .. i fight every day here... yet i just love it.. people are like babies, unpredictables .. they do weird things eat weird things and i am among them watching and shaking my head everyday... looool but at the end of the day, life goes on, Moti reporting from Cambodia in and out.. peace

nuune   

weird stuffs aa lagaa maqlaa sxbkiis,the more aad ii xayeesiiso cambodia the more aan u xiiso inaan imaado meeshaas,adigu kaalay moti,maad noqotay danjire somalia u fadhiya cambodia,u have the right to get that position since u speak afkooda shimbirta lol,peace